Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Galaxy's End: A Buckyball Pub Crawl (28th April to 13th May)

YEEAAHHSS!

j6jUgeI.png

Thanks for a fantastic race Raiko, really enjoyed that. A race involving Rebuy Prospect and the now legendary Buckyball Beer Bats was long overdue and combining it with a rare booze and "World's End" themed Buckyball pub crawl was genius!

After an initially slow start it was great to see a few more people turn up to prevent me from coming last/first (depending on whether you're a glass half-empty or glass half-full kinda person) by default (also, drinking on your own is never a good idea) and really good (as always) to see a few new faces to Buckyball Racing (undaunted by the number of screenshots and/or size of video upload required for evidence). As mentioned earlier, the next race will be MUCH simpler (just two screenshots with the option of a few bonus challenges) and I'll be posting the thread for it today or tomorrow probably as I want plenty of time to promote it and also don't mind if people want to get plenty of pre-race practice in before it starts officially next Saturday.

As ever ... fly fast Buckyballers, you guy and gals rock!

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
First Congrats to Alec, Aken B. (and myself?)!!! and all the brave designated drivers!!
Thanks Raiko for the time invested in this very fun and intense race!!

For The route...
Run the Esvandiary's EDTS to find the optimal route and to check the ship was able to jump with different BBBM+rares, with 32T and 16T tanks... (specially in the Lave to Epsilon Indi, and Wangal to HIP 110028 legs)

=== 00.00LY / 0.00T / 32.00T ===> Fullerene C60, Rebuy Prospect (238Ls, Orbis Starport)
--- 38.57LY / 2.56T / 29.44T ---> Lyncis Sector GG-Y c9
--- 45.19LY / 3.71T / 25.73T ---> HR 1276
=== 47.94LY / 4.18T / 21.55T ===> Thrutis , Kingsbury Dock (291Ls, Orbis Starport)
Thrutis Cream
=== 00.00LY / 0.00T / 00.00T ===> Thrutis A 2/Civilian Installation
-2BBBM
--- 40.37LY / 2.63T / 18.92T ---> Minawara
Full 49.28LY / 4.22T / 14.70T ===> Kongga, Laplace Ring (254Ls, Coriolis Starport)
Kongga Ale
--- 46.54LY / 4.00T / 28.00T ---> Basium
=== 48.67LY / 4.35T / 23.65T ===> Bast, Hart Station (204Ls, Orbis Starport)
Bast Snake Gin
=== 41.71LY / 2.89T / 20.75T ===> Eranin, Azeban City (295Ls, Coriolis Starport)
Erarin Pearl Whisky
=== 33.32LY / 1.64T / 19.12T ===> Rahu - Rahu 1/Unauthorised Installation
-4BBBM *
--- 50.92LY / 4.45T / 14.67T ---> Xevioso
--- 40.37LY / 2.45T / 12.22T ---> Ackcanphi
=== 45.18LY / 3.17T / 09.05T ===> Leesti, George Lucas (259Ls, Coriolis Starport)
Leestian Evil Juice
10% 3.91LY / 0.01T / 09.05T ===> Lave, Lave Station (278Ls, Coriolis Starport)
Lavian Brandy
--- 56.52LY / 5.48T / 06.77T ---> Menkent
Full 56.67LY / 5.31T / 01.46T ===> Epsilon Indi, Mansfield Orbiter (143Ls, Orbis Starport)
Indi Bourbon
--- 40.28LY / 2.74T / 29.26T ---> Core Sys Sector AK-R a4-0
--- 43.36LY / 3.22T / 26.05T ---> Devanith
=== 47.74LY / 3.99T / 22.06T ===> Wangal - Wangal A5/DaMorgs Bar and BBQ
-2BBBM
--- 52.87LY / 4.92T / 17.14T ---> LTT 1069
--- 55.11LY / 5.26T / 11.88T ---> Bactrib
--- 51.76LY / 4.35T / 07.54T ---> Cotiachis
50% 53.05LY / 4.48T / 03.06T ===> HIP 110028 - HIP 110028 6/11 Parsecs
-2BBBM
--- 47.95LY / 3.63T / 15.43T ---> 119 G. Aquarii
--- 49.34LY / 3.80T / 11.63T ---> Capricorni Sector AV-Y b3
--- 46.87LY / 3.26T / 08.37T ---> Nantiates
--- 48.66LY / 3.49T / 04.88T ---> Pegasi Sector LO-E a13-3
=== 48.20LY / 3.33T / 01.55T ===> Ochoeng, Roddenberry Gateway (485Ls, Orbis Starport)

BBBM: Beer Mats...
* Run like hell before the fans drink all the booze and get all the mats
% fuel to scoop
Full: fill tank in the station

amsVSuP.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, show us your routes then!

Same as Onane I think (I'll need to double check, not good at remembering pub-crawl routes after the fact - it usually goes something like "well, we went to the Lock Tavern for the first Pint, then the Good Mixer, then I think it was the Dublin Castle, then ... err, err ... god knows".

I confess I too used edts for this one (I think that's actually the first time I've used it for a race). Normally I like to just place all the book marks and then spin the galaxy map around a bit until a route becomes apparent but for this one I just wasn't seeing it and decided to get some help in the end. The winning DBX run had minimum 8 18 beer mats with a grade 5 FSD and something like a 56ly range? while the Asp (which would have had a very similar time) had exactly the same FSD (I literally swapped them) but around 28 cargo (initially) and a jump range of something like 50ly? No shields or any other extraneous junk (apart from the economy passenger cabins) ... I like to travel light on a pub crawl 'cos later on in the evening you're just gonna start losing stuff otherwise!

Last edited:
Just going to clarify before there's any controversy ;) that Alec's winning run had 18 beer mats at the start.

Alright, show us your routes then!

Mine was as follows (if I remember correctly, I'm away from home and hence from the piece of paper I drew things out on to work out the route):
Fullerene C60 -> Thrutis -> Kongga -> Rahu -> Eranin -> Bast -> Epsilon Indi -> Lave -> Leesti -> Wangal -> HIP 110028 -> Ochoeng

So pretty similar to Onane and Alec, but with a slightly different middle section. In my case, this was in a ship with a range fully laden of just over 38LY.

Mine was,
Fullerene C60 -> Thrutis -> Kongga -> Rahu -> Eranin -> Bast -> Epsilon Indi -> Wangal -> HIP 110028 -> Lave -> Leesti -> Ochoeng

And since I had the cargo space and jump range, just maxed out the rares grabbed :D

Was going to build a DBX to attempt a decent run,

But ran out of time, ended up quickly converting my 'daily' anaconda from old grade4 rng roll FSD mod to maxed out new G4 FSD.
Went from something like 46Ly to 60Ly.

I was using the "standard" route.

https://www.edsm.net/en/galactic-ro...eKey/b29990bf076642a259ff1ff7ca7b7b7f0792ba9d

Fullerene C60
Thrutis
Bast
Kongga
Rahu
Eranin
Epsilon Indi
Leesti
Lave
Wangal
HIP 110028
Ochoeng

There might've been better ones. The Hauler was fitted with just enough cargo space for 8 tons of cargo, not optimal with two installations as final stops. A small 2t default fuel tank and a scoop to fill it - just enough to get by. I have to scoop at least every second jump, better on every jump, and refill at each station I land, ir I might've run out of fuel during the installations.

I can't figure out how you got EDSM to allow multiple points in the route planner?

Also, what program/site are you guys using to have those nice graphic maps of the route?
I've not seen those before.

I think my route was something close to 1270ly total, where that "standard" comes out at 1204.
Not sure what I did there to get a longer route :(

Suppose that's the thing for non-regular buckyballers, quite a few barriers to be competitive,
- supercruise skills (hard to master),
- normal space piloting skills,
- docking skills,
- have a DBX max modded (the favourite looking at recent past events),
- have a reliable 'secret' route planning tool,
- other things you pickup from experience playing (heat management, space station approach angle, etc).

I can't figure out how you got EDSM to allow multiple points in the route planner?

Galactic Mapping -> Routes -> My Routes

NOT to be confused with Route Planner! ;)

You can even reorder the waypoints, to optimize the route visually.

Looking at it now, I think that

Fullerene C60
Thrutis
Bast
Kongga
Rahu
Eranin
Epsilon Indi
Wangal
Leesti
Lave

HIP 110028
Ochoeng

Might have been a better route? Oh well, next time.

Last edited:
I think my route was something close to 1270ly total, where that "standard" comes out at 1204.
Not sure what I did there to get a longer route :(
The "standard" route that I sent to PrimetimeCasual - which I'd originally intended to create a map of and post in the OP was:

Fullerene C60
Thrutis
Thrutis
Kongga
Rahu
Eranin
Bast
Epsilon Indi
Lave
Leesti
Wangal
HIP 110028
Ochoeng

A total of 1181LY and an estimate of 28 jumps in a 56LY ship (my spreadsheet only does estimates, it's not as clever as Esvandiary's EDTS, but it's quick and usually right)
Note that, I always optimise my routes by estimated jumps, rather than total distance and I think there were a few combinations of systems in the 'middle' bit where the distance varied, but not the total jumps.

I also pointed out to PrimetimeCasual that we'd often found in the past that travel between two bodies in the same system often takes longer than jumping out and back in, so if I'd been racing I'd have tried the following at least once:

Fullerene C60
Thrutis
Bast
Thrutis
Kongga
Rahu
Eranin
Epsilon Indi
Lave
Leesti
Wangal
HIP 110028
Ochoeng

This is a total 1271LY and an estimated 30 jumps, but avoids an interplanetary journey in Thrutis.

As Bruski isn't online at the moment, I'll mention that his route included an Eranin -> Leesti leg, which my route planner classed as "3 jumps", but he did in two using a White-Dwarf supercharge.

- have a reliable 'secret' route planning tool,
My 'secret' tool is just excel.

I make one of my Raikograms and then use excels "solver" plugin - you can set it up to solve travelling saleman problems by just shuffling through the destinations to brute force it.

It's a little unreliable, so I always give it a couple of goes, but I usually get a very similar route to those using EDTS. My "estimated jumps" just assumes that if you need more than 1 jump to get there, your average range will be a few LY less than max.

Running the solver only takes a few minutes, so I've never bothered with EDTS.

If the race only has a few stops, then it's just as easy to work it out manually. My rares-based races have all had quite a few stops though, which is why I offered to share my "standard" route with anyone who didn't fancy messing in excel / python. :)

Last edited:
One other thing:

I really want to thank Alec, not only for inventing Buckyball Beer Mats in the first place (and furrycat for getting them into the game), but because I'd have never come up with this race in it's final form without Alec's "best of the forum" and "structures and installations" threads.

One other thing:

I really want to thank Alec, not only for inventing Buckyball Beer Mats in the first place (and furrycat for getting them into the game), but because I'd have never come up with this race in it's final form without Alec's "best of the forum" and "structures and installations" threads.

Why thank you sir, it's an absolute pleasure!

For those those that don't know the history - around this time back in 2016 when I was getting excited about attending my first Lavecon I decided to have 500 beermats made for the event (alas all gone now).

MKvDnKz.jpg

On one side the Buckyball logo plus the slogan "Win It Or Bin It" (a suggestion from someone about the name for a time-bonus joker card that could be played for making a shieldless run in a particular Buckyball race). On the other side, in celebration of their 10,000th rescue, the classic Fuel Rats logo - n.b. they broke 40,000 back in March 2018!).

And then (I forget exactly when but not that long after Lavecon iirc), the self same beer mats actually appeared in-game as a rare commodity at our new Buckyball player faction home base of "Rebuy Prospect" in the Fullerene C60 system (google Fullerene C60 to see why). I believe, thanks to a Lavecon "name your own rare good" prize, we have CMdr furrycat (and of course Frontier Developments) to thank for that!

What an awesome community!

o7 commanders

My 'secret' tool is just excel.

I make one of my Raikograms and then use excels "solver" plugin - you can set it up to solve travelling saleman problems by just shuffling through the destinations to brute force it.

I had no idea of that solver plugin or that you could do that with it.
Mind blown, and thanks for sharing.
I'll have to try it out, as it seems like it would be easier than me trying to get python to work.

I offered to share my "standard" route with anyone who didn't fancy messing in excel / python. :)

Dang, I must have missed that in my haste following all the rules, trying to get my entry in.
I'll have to remember to ask in future, just in case one is available :)

I had no idea of that solver plugin or that you could do that with it.
Mind blown, and thanks for sharing.
I'll have to try it out, as it seems like it would be easier than me trying to get python to work.

Dang, I must have missed that in my haste following all the rules, trying to get my entry in.
I'll have to remember to ask in future, just in case one is available :)

https://youtu.be/-E3rSoClgMI

They call a Raikogram a distance matrix here for some reason! :D

Sorry I missed your race cmdr. My weekend turned out much busier than expected.

I was looking forward to running into some BRC fans at those installations :)

Top Bottom