Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Ice-Cool Trucker Bootlegger Challenge - 15 to 30 August 3301

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Alec, good to know! I'll see if I can't swing that too (pun intended).

Anyway, I think I'll have to restore the Nimble Flipper tomorrow. For the Spa Run, with three out of four stops done, I only had to pay a visit to Hutton Orbital and I would've been home free. Halfway there, something dawned on me. A few calculations in my head told me that I was going to cut it close, or not cut it all.

I kid you not. 28,944 lightseconds away from Hutton Orbital, I ran out of fuel. I had completely underestimated the fuel needs of this trip. Funny, how I thought I'd save valuable time not hanging around Alpha Centauri too much. I mean, I could just refuel fully in the blink of an eye at Hutton, right?

Well, there I was, stranded in outer space, without fuel, but as I hit the switch to engage the self destruct sequence, I could swear I could feel the warmth of Proxima Centauri. It felt like home.

Edit: Fudge it. Unless the rules say I can't, I'm just gonna pay the insurance and try again right now.
You're fine paying insurance to continue your run from your previous docking. :)
(As long as you still bring 1t of each item back to Weyl Gateway obviously)

If the same thing ever happens again, you might find it's quicker to go here: http://fuelrats.com/ and click the "Get Help" button. :D

--- EDIT ---
Sorry, I misread your post and didn't see that you were visiting Hutton last. I'm afraid that if you don't make it back to Weyl Gateway with all the required items, then your run doesn't count. #RATSIGNAL would definitely have been the best option (and a cool gaming experience). Rusti could have rescued you and got a Mr's Lonnegan's Ultimate Spa Weekend Trophy run in at the same time! :)

Last edited:
BRC_icecoolboot_flyer.jpg

Current Standings.
***IMPORTANT NOTICE: INDI BOURBON IS NOW SUPPRESSED BY THE BACKGROUND SIM AND IS NOT AVAILABLE***

jCJNBic.png

tmUWKmL.png

YtsFqzJ.png

The Black Riband.

PxZZ2LI.png

G6wv9Nl.png

The Simulator.

rgDXy7b.png

The Pre-Flight Staging Area.

ZWeFp7X.png

Queuing for the Simulator.

UnaOsEI.png

Just a quick update today (because I'm really busy of Wednesday evenings!).

All the activity was in the Bootlegger Challenge again, although CMDR Tim Falcon was only prevented from registering a successful Spa Run for Mrs Lonnegan by a minor miscalculation of the fuel requirements of the trip across the Alpha Centauri system.

In the Bootlegger Challenge CMDR Alec Turner celebrated breaking the hour barrier, bringing Bananery Fandango back to Weyl in 59:08. Well done CMDR!

Further ahead in the field Samwell Drakhyr is hot on the heals of Alot's Big Bird, a great run in Black Maria has closed the gap down to a mere 5 seconds!

Last edited:
Alec, good to know! I'll see if I can't swing that too (pun intended).

Anyway, I think I'll have to restore the Nimble Flipper tomorrow. For the Spa Run, with three out of four stops done, I only had to pay a visit to Hutton Orbital and I would've been home free. Halfway there, something dawned on me. A few calculations in my head told me that I was going to cut it close, or not cut it all.

I kid you not. 28,944 lightseconds away from Hutton Orbital, I ran out of fuel. I had completely underestimated the fuel needs of this trip. Funny, how I thought I'd save valuable time not hanging around Alpha Centauri too much. I mean, I could just refuel fully in the blink of an eye at Hutton, right?

Well, there I was, stranded in outer space, without fuel, but as I hit the switch to engage the self destruct sequence, I could swear I could feel the warmth of Proxima Centauri. It felt like home.

Edit: Fudge it. Unless the rules say I can't, I'm just gonna pay the insurance and try again right now.
have you not heard of the "fuel rats"?

well ive broken 50 mins in my Asp 'Grey Mullet'.. but I still need to find 2 mins to catch Drakhyr and A lot
im starting to doubt my route now.. i think i can do a better run on it.. but 2 minutes worth.. im not sure.
and im also starting to think maybe more ship speed will get me a jumps worth of time.. hmmm.
ive got that buckyball confused and addicted feeling!
and its a sensation that ive not had enough of, great race Raiko. ( pics of new run on the way )

Current Standings.
***IMPORTANT NOTICE: INDI BOURBON IS NOW SUPPRESSED BY THE BACKGROUND SIM AND IS NOT AVAILABLE***

j6i2O62.png

tmUWKmL.png

YtsFqzJ.png

The Black Riband.

PxZZ2LI.png

G6wv9Nl.png

The Simulator.

rgDXy7b.png

3ocgeyJ.png

UnaOsEI.png

A slightly early update tonight, as I need an early start tomorrow, so I can't stay up until 0:00GMT.

Firstly welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club CMDR Pollycough - good luck and fly hot CMDR!

There's not been any movement on the big board today, but CMDR Kliggson switched to his Asp Explorer Grey Mullet and made an excellent run of 49:23, he's now only two minutes behind Drakhyr and a few more seconds behind Alot, it's going to be close! :D

With the unfortunate Total Hull Loss of my DBX "Gordon Tracy" and a lack of readily available supply of upgrade components for my Nav-Com.
(I need a new PC, had a Ram stick fail so I'm running on Hope and Dreams)

I here by declare my revised entry for another future run:

CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka
Staging: Open
Race Class: Best Trader League
Ship Class: Python
Ship Name: Brother Maynard

I here by declare my revised entry for another future run:

CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka
Staging: Open
Race Class: Best Trader League
Ship Class: Python
Ship Name: Brother Maynard

Good luck Ceska!

Regarding the Best Trader League, remember you only need to deliver 64t of your 8 chosen commodities to Weyl, you can use any additional hold space however you like, but you can only visit your 8 chosen stations once. Also you don't need to be empty when you start out from Weyl Gateway.

I do need shots of all the purchase and sales sceens though before you confirm your transactions, to (a) prove that you only bought from Weyl & your 8 stations, and (b) to easily confirm your total profits. So do take care if you aren't recording your run.

BTW, if Ceska is still the only competitor in the Best Trader League going into the final weekend, then I'll probably give it a quick shot to ensure that he doesn't just win by default. I'm likely to just be in an Asp though, so I might not be able to compete well with Ceska's Python. In the event that there's more than one competitor in the league, then I'll stay out of it and just enjoy watching.

@Ceska, you can keep hold of your screenshots until someone else enters the league if you like. You can just tell me your total profits for the run and then keep your screenshots in a safe place until you know whether I'm having a run. :)

Last edited:
...but you can only visit your 8 chosen stations once. Also you don't need to be empty when you start out from Weyl Gateway....

Something I am going ask for clarification.
If I happen to know of a Illicit Rare Commodity that can be Bought through legitimate means at a Station.
Despite not being on the list, is it be eligible for profit margin calculation purposes?
Could it be counted as '8 Listed Items +1' at Weyl, or would I have to Buy and Sell Mid-Route and have that calculated in my final figure?

Something I am going ask for clarification.
If I happen to know of a Illicit Rare Commodity that can be Bought through legitimate means at a Station.
Despite not being on the list, is it be eligible for profit margin calculation purposes?
Could it be counted as '8 Listed Items +1' at Weyl, or would I have to Buy and Sell Mid-Route and have that calculated in my final figure?

As long as you only trade at your 8 chosen stations plus Weyl, you can freely trade anything that you like, on both the commodities market and the blackmarket. The only limitation is that your mimimum delivery (ie just the 64t portion for a Python) must be made up of only your 8 chosen rares, with at least 1t of each.

So..
Stopping by "Station Y (Not on the List)" and picking up "X tons of Z Contraband" won't count?
Even if the Volume of Items from "Listed Stations 1 to 8" are 64t or more.

EDIT:
Never mind, did a recon run and the item I had in mind is currently suppressed, just like Indi Bourbon.

Last edited:
So..
Stopping by "Station Y (Not on the List)" and picking up "X tons of Z Contraband" won't count?
Even if the Volume of Items from "Listed Stations 1 to 8" are 64t or more.

Yes that's correct.

You are only allowed to trade between the listed stations, and for the Best Profit League you can only visit each station once.

This is to prevent for example a CMDR departing Weyl in a Type-9 on the first day of the event and returning on the last day, having spent two weeks trading where ever they liked and finally returning with the 64t of rares to Weyl.

So in the same way that the time-based races are purely between 8 of the listed stations, the profit based race is to try and find the most profitable route between 8 of the listed stations.

I know that there are other illegal rare-commodities, in fact I'm fairly sure that potentially any rare commodity can be illegal in some systems. My priority was to include all the rare-commodity alcoholic drinks and then I padded out the list with a few food items and also with narcotic/tobacco items that were maked as "often illegal" on the community lists.

That's why, for example Onionhead is included, but Geawen Dance Dust is left out.
Burnham Bile Distillate was left out because although it's an alcoholic drink, it's sold at an outpost and I only wanted to include outposts in the Spa Trophy list.

I've just finished my run in my Cobra Mk3, Null Geodesic, and sent the required screenshots to Cmdr Raiko. As I do not trade illegal goods with my Cmdr (if we ever get another Cmdr slot that may change) and did not want to go 1 million + ls distances in supercruise, there was not much choice of commodities for me to trade in and I had some long journeys (Sanuma, Quechua) for a couple of them. My time is therefore very far behind those currently on the board but I still had a lot of fun flying and docking at speed (455m/s with boost). Speed is also a great way to avoid scans and I think the Cobra Mk3 is ideally suited to this challenge, so I hope someone more ruthless/daring takes it on.
event: The Bootlegger Challenge
Cmdr name: Edelgard von Rhein
ship type: Cobra Mk 3
ship name: Null Geodesic
class: Open
time: 1 hour 50 minutes 35 seconds
Best of luck (and profit) to everyone else taking part and thanks again to Cmdr Raiko for staging this event.

This looks to be more fun than the current CG's, which is otherwise what I usually use my weekend gaming time with - I'm in! :)

CMDR NordicLion
Open
Ship class: Cobra Mk III
Ship name: Mercury Maverick

Current Standings.

GzUBbKK.png

kEMKEm2.png

YtsFqzJ.png

The Black Riband.

PxZZ2LI.png

G6wv9Nl.png

The Simulator.

rgDXy7b.png

GpcWsyi.png

UnaOsEI.png

We're now one week into the Bootlegger challenge, and there are two new runners in the main race. CMDR Edelgard von Rhein made a nice run in the Cobra Mk III Null Geodesic, getting into Weyl in 1:50:35, slightly hindered by her desire not to trade in illegal goods. Meanwhile BRC newcomer CMDR Pollycough made not one, but two runs in his ship Patience (my asp), a good opening speed-run of 1:36:58 as well as a slower run to take the lead in the Best Trader League with a haul of 1,400,432Cr.

Hanging around the pre-flight area with me, Rusti and Angel Rose is Buckyball Racing Club first timer CMDR NordicLion in another Cobra Mk III, the Mercury Maverick. Good luck CMDR!

"Weyl Gateway this is Commander furrycat of the Sidewinder-class vessel 'Two of a kind' requesting priority launch clearance on Open flight plan to the Old Worlds to collect ... uh ... trade ... samples for evaluation back here.

The market's moving very fast, so I hear, and the client wants to inspect the merchandise quickly and maybe expand operations before the end of the month."

I repeat,"

CMDR furrycat
Open
Sidewinder
"Two of a kind"

"I'd be obliged if you could get me that clearance, Weyl Gateway. These trade samples, they ... uh ... well you see they're for Mr Lonnegan."

That was good fun! Just submitted my Cobra Mk II run. Do I need to sign up again if I want to give it a try in another ship type?

Current Standings.

10fy4SR.png

WSD2eQT.png

YtsFqzJ.png

The Black Riband.

PxZZ2LI.png

G6wv9Nl.png

The Simulator.

rgDXy7b.png

rQyOunq.png

UnaOsEI.png

Here's the update for Day 8 of the Bootlegger Challenge, which means that we're now at the half-way point of the event, and there's some big news. First-off CMDR NordicLion in the Mercury Maverick has set a great best-of-class time for the Cobra of 1:06:51, well done NordicLion! I wonder if one of our Cobra pilots can push the classic Mk III through the one hour barrier?

But the big news of Day 8 is that Samwell Drakhyr has improved the time time for the Black Maria by nearly a minute to take the overall lead. The Asps of CMDRs Alot and Kliggson are still right there in Drakhyr's frame-shift wake, but for the moment the time to beat is 46:37.

As the race is now half way through it means that Rusticolus, Angel Rose and some guy called Raiko need to get their butts out of the bar at Weyl Gateway and make a run of somesort soon to avoid the dreaded DNF - there'll be more than enough booze after the race CMDRs! Joining us in the pre-flight area is CMDR Furrycat in a Sidewinder named Two of a Kind. With so many race alternatives I didn't bother with a Sidewinder Challenge for this event, so it's great to see Furrycat entering a Sidie in the Mrs Lonnegan's Ulitmate Spa Weekend Trophy. Good luck CMDR!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom