Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Ice-Cool Trucker Bootlegger Challenge - 15 to 30 August 3301

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Sorry I've not been posting for a day or two, I had a bad couple of days, but everything is sorted and back to normal now. I'm just getting everything sorted for the front page ready for the race starting in a couple of hours.

Sounds like fun :) I'll enter and stream my run this Sunday...

CMDR Angel Rose
Open
Ship Class: Vulture
Ship Name: Bertha Eats Pirate
Welcome to the races CMDR Angel Rose, good luck with your streamed run and thanks for streaming it.

Also welcome back to all the regular Buckyball Runners, I hope you all enjoy the race. :)

Alright, in preparation for the race starting in just over a day, I've done a Black Riband run. Raiko... well, you got your wish, but not by all that much. :D

Screenshots on their way shortly!
Hmmm, so I had a couple of attempts at the Black Riband run tonight. The first, in the Cobra, wasn't great, ending up just under 1 hr 15 mins. Even stripping out the effects of an NPC interdiction, an overshot mailslot, and one particularly long witchspace transition wouldn't get the time down to where it needs to be. So I switched to a Hauler, which went better - until I lost 5 minutes due to a real life interruption. Even then, I don't think I would have beaten Alot :(

Conclusion: more practice (and scouting) needed...
Thanks both of you for having a shot at the Black Riband this week.

For the record (before I get the front page updated), the current holder of the Black Riband is now CMDR Alot, who completed the run in an impressive 55m49s in the Asp Explorer Big Bird.

Last edited:
I think I'll start joining in on some of these races.

CMDR Tim Falcon
Open
Ship: Asp
Ship Name: Margje

I guess I'll do a dry run or two first to get warmed up, then head into open and get rolling for some Black Riband action.

I think I'll start joining in on some of these races.

CMDR Tim Falcon
Open
Ship: Asp
Ship Name: Margje

I guess I'll do a dry run or two first to get warmed up, then head into open and get rolling for some Black Riband action.

Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club CMDR Tim Falcon. :)

If you have a couple of solo runs first, then don't forget to send me your screenshots, you could end up being the best pilot in The Simulator.
As the race is now officially started any attempts at The Black Riband are also eligible for the main race, and also the possibly profit league if you get all the sales screenshots (best grabbed from a recording).

Doing a bit of a recce, and sussing out distances I see one of the stations I checked out didn't have the rare advertised.. I thought they always had at least 1 for each pilot that docked.. can they totally run out now.. that's a bit crap.
and waiting about for it isn't going to help my time, ill have to check all of them now. its never easy is it. ;)

Doing a bit of a recce, and sussing out distances I see one of the stations I checked out didn't have the rare advertised.. I thought they always had at least 1 for each pilot that docked.. can they totally run out now.. that's a bit crap.
and waiting about for it isn't going to help my time, ill have to check all of them now. its never easy is it. ;)

Could you PM or email me the station name? I'll check it this evening.

My bad couple of days has meant that I've not visited 5 of the "sensible" stations recently, plus Kaku Station (the other 3 Spa Trophy stations are definitely okay). I've seen a couple of times in the rares commodities thread where a player has said that a rare good no longer exists, but then others have picked them up no problem. So there must be a chance of a zero spawn, but I've never seen it myself. I'd been supposed to fly around those remaining stations on Thursday night.

Sorry, I'd meant to put a note under the list. Powerplay has affected some of the stations, I was originally planning to include Wolf Fesh in the race, but it's been suppressed by the powerplay power controlling the system.

Another note that I'd meant to post was about the legality of the goods. Leesti Evil juice had never been noted on the forums as illegal before I tested the Black Riband route, so there's a possibility that all of the legal-drugs rares are illegal in some systems (possibly based on being liquor, wine, etc). I've got some Indi Bourbon on board my ship to experiment, and my next destination is Aegaeon. I assume that I'll then have rare liquor and wine and I'll keep an eye on the legality as I check the remaining 4 stations (then I'm going to make my Spa Trophy Run including Kaku).

I'm really sorry if it turns out that my out of game problems this week mean that the list is wrong.

Oh dear ... this does NOT bode well at all. Been doing some investigative route planning trips, got a bit carried away with some Prodigy on in the background and took the Babanery Fandango from full shields 100% health down to zero shields 28% health in a single toast rack bounce! And I was planning on ditching the shields when I do the run for real. Is that crazy? I can't decide ... nah, it'll be fine.

Last edited:
It turns out that the rare commodity that robinjb can't get is Indi Bourbon, which was definitely available on Wednesday when I visited (I've got some in my hold).

I'll revisit Mansfield Orbiter tonight to see if it's still available for me. If it's available for me, but not robinjb then it's a bug, which I have a (disappointing) work around for.
If it's not available for anyone then it's possibly a change to the background sim that's suppressed the Bourbon, in which case it'll just have to be removed from the list unfortunately as it's part of the game. :(

It turns out that the rare commodity that robinjb can't get is Indi Bourbon, which was definitely available on Wednesday when I visited (I've got some in my hold).

I'll revisit Mansfield Orbiter tonight to see if it's still available for me. If it's available for me, but not robinjb then it's a bug, which I have a (disappointing) work around for.
If it's not available for anyone then it's possibly a change to the background sim that's suppressed the Bourbon, in which case it'll just have to be removed from the list unfortunately as it's part of the game. :(

It was available on Friday too. Will try and check again tomorrow.

I've had an enquiry from a player regarding screenshots as I'm participating in the race as well.

I don’t want to appear to gain any advantage (though I've already chosen my routes for each event), so for now feel free to just send me the starting and finishing station clocks if you like, or before and after trading and Blackmarket statistics for the profit-race.

I will need the evidence of your best runs within 24 hours of the race ending though.

I should be departing from the bubble in a few days to scout out part of the Galactic Rally route, so I'll let you know when I'm going, and you'll be perfectly safe to show me your routes after that without any concerns about whether I peep. :)

regarding the indi bourbon, I made 3 checks at Mansfield orbiter over a 12 hour period and they didn't have any.. I also hung about outside the slot like a nutter trying to talk to other CMDRS to see if they could see it.. 1 guy out of 10 responded. and he said he couldn't see it either.
so I scratched it from my run.. which is a bummer, as I could have saved a few minutes using it im sure.
ive got an unofficial time of 54.34.. which im glad has beaten the current black riband. otherwise id just take an asp on that run.
ill send my pics to Raiko when hes done his final run.. otherwise he's bound to use my route in a faster ship.. well wouldn't you? ;)

regarding the indi bourbon, I made 3 checks at Mansfield orbiter over a 12 hour period and they didn't have any.. I also hung about outside the slot like a nutter trying to talk to other CMDRS to see if they could see it.. 1 guy out of 10 responded. and he said he couldn't see it either.
so I scratched it from my run.. which is a bummer, as I could have saved a few minutes using it im sure.
ive got an unofficial time of 54.34.. which im glad has beaten the current black riband. otherwise id just take an asp on that run.
ill send my pics to Raiko when hes done his final run.. otherwise he's bound to use my route in a faster ship.. well wouldn't you? ;)

Just to confirm, due to a faction change Indi Bourbon is now illegal at Mansfield Orbiter! This means that it's supressed and won't appear in the commodities market. This has happened since I visited on Wednesday, I still have 3 tons in my hold (now an even rarer commodity!). As this change is triggered by the background sim there's no need for a work around, we'll just need to plan routes that avoid Epsilon Indi. My planned route included that system as well. :(

Screenshot
uUAVla2.png

@Robinjb, as I mentioned in my earlier post, no worries about the route screenshots, wait until after I've finished my runs, please could everyone at least send starting and finishing clock times via email though if you want to appear on the board, with your details (ship, name, time, etc). I can't promise to spot times posted on the forum.

Sorry about the Bourbon vanishing. I was aware that this can happen from discussions in the rare-commodities thread, that's why the Black Riband has specific rules about what happens if any of those goods ever get suppressed.

Last edited:
Completed the "Mrs Lonnegan's Ultimate Spa Weekend Trophy" setting a time of 3hrs 42min 28sec. With an end profit of 502,549cr for 32 Ton in my T-6 "Icarus"

CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka
Open
Ship Class: Type 6
Ship Name: Icarus

Event: "Mrs Lonnegan's Ultimate Spa Weekend Trophy"

Image Links:
Outfitting: http://imgur.com/Yes48UM
Launching: http://imgur.com/WWTHGiM
Motrona Buy: http://imgur.com/gxz2Sg7
Centauri Buy: http://imgur.com/bIZxlzE
Ehrlich Buy: http://imgur.com/cMANcAU
Herculis Buy: http://imgur.com/mOdjJsZ
Finish Line: http://imgur.com/S0r67K1
Full Cargo Hold: http://imgur.com/SEiAPyj
Motrona Profit: http://imgur.com/EcRiKIw
Centauri Profit: http://imgur.com/0xMRJGl
Ehrlich Profit: http://imgur.com/9dH8Twh
Herculis Profit: http://imgur.com/83sPO4o

Will probably do it again in my Adder.

First Bootlegger attempt this morning. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. Confirmed that Indi Bourbon is no longer on sale and bodged something else into my route instead. Had everything grind down to 1fps in station when the galmap froze. Got interdicted. Did a loop of shame. Missed a destination drop and had to blip SC again to get near a station. Had a total landing gear flubbage (up down up down make yer bleedin' mind up). Spent several minutes staring blankly at a commodities screen convinced another rare had vanished when it was right there in front of me. Oh, and had an F10 key failure leaving me one screenshot short of a full house. All told it's a miracle I got the 1:03:57 time I did (and it probably won't be allowed anyway). Things can only improve!

Since there's the potential for some controversy due to background sim faction changes affecting rares availability, I'm not going to make any optimised-route runs in the main race. I never intended to run a stripped down ship in this race anyway, and I do agree with robinjb that I shouldn't be trying hard to win (I never planned to).

I'll probably have another shot at The Black Riband to try and get my own time below an hour, and if I do then I'll enter that time in Bootlegger Challenge. I'll be hanging onto at least one ton of the Indi Bourbon for a roleplay-based reason and so I'll have to haul at least 33 tons by the end of the race. I'll also have shields fitted this time, so I know that I won't be beating CMDR Alot's Black Riband time at the moment. I'll be making the run using the same route as my first Black Riband attempt (which is actually the same route as Esvandiary, but in reverse - so I'm now 100% sure that it's the best Balck Riband route anyway). I might have a run at the Black Riband sometime in the future without shields, but not before the end of this event.

The shortest Black Riband route is nearly 300LY longer than the shortest Bootlegger Challenge route (even with Indi Bourbon removed), so I'll have a time on the board but it shouldn't be very competitive.

I'll also still be making a single run in the Spa Trophy. The stations for that are so close together that I don't think route planning is so important (similar to robinjb's hip-hop race).

So you are okay sending your screenshots to me without fear of me pinching your route. I'm curious how many people fly the route that I would have used, since I'm pretty sure it's the shortest route.

Insanity or Masochism? Not sure.
But I'm running the 'Spa Trophy' again.

CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka
Race: Spa Trophy
Ship Class: Adder
Ship Name: Lady Godiva

Insanity or Masochism? Not sure.
But I'm running the 'Spa Trophy' again.

CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka
Race: Spa Trophy
Ship Class: Adder
Ship Name: Lady Godiva

Good luck!

I meant to say in the previous post, you don't need to fill your hold in the Spa Trophy.

I'm fine entering your Spa Trophy run in the profit-race though - I hadn't even considered that, as it's obviously more profitable to trade between 8 stations than 4.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom