Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run - Episode II (30 April-15 May)

Only 15kly to go, I figure this might be a good occasion to get Tin Can back out of the Hanger after nearly 3 months :)
I guess I'll be back in the bubble just in time for forgetting to sell all the DW exploration data and then crashing at the first undocking :D
You have no idea how worried I was that I'd do that in my haste to get home for the last evening of Swift-Walker. :D

Intent to race:
CMDR Cookiehole
Open Unlimited
Hauler
"Tin Can"
Hide your Diamondbacks, hide your Asps... He's baaack!
I hope EZ's found some safe harbour :p

Also, I do believe I see Aken B. out on a run...!

Last edited:
You saw right ;), but it was more of a disorganized tumbling between unscoopables (and pads blastdoors) than a run...the new fuel tank requirement of the regulation Cobra is quite demanding!

I can do better for sure, but I don't think I could do "alot" better (sorry, I can't help it :p)...in any case, the Hauler is already parked and waiting to be taken out for a ride.

Cmdr Aken B.
Ship name: Not Safe For Work
Ship type: Hauler

And this time it will be unsafer than ever!

Thursday board update:

Open Unlimited leaderboard

NsczG7M.png

Regulation Cobra Mk III leaderboard

YIWRMX2.png

Today we have CMDR AkenB capture 2nd place in the Reg. Cobra department. He did so in a very respectable 1:37:05, pushing CMDR Seneh down to third place. Well done, CMDR. Keep it up :D

I guess I'll be back in the bubble just in time for forgetting to sell all the DW exploration data and then crashing at the first undocking :D

oh, this. so much!

after getting back from DW and then finishing 'trading' my rank5 with LYR last night i thought "i'll go and scout my proposed race route". Jumped into a stripped down Hauler (no shields), duly undocked and boosted straight out of the station, made another couple of racing docks & undocks before i rememberd. "Shizzle!! i have about 6000 systems worth of data onboard!" Immediately papped my trews and put a shield on.

i'm selling tonight, so will be looking forward to seeing the insurance screen @ a Kessel port soon! ;)

I'm hoping to get a run in on my Sidewinder tomorrow, since I've been told my laptop has been fixed, but no guarantees - if I'm unlucky my hard drive might have been wiped and I might have to reinstall everything! If I don't have time or I am too tired for another run, then good luck to everyone racing over the final weekend!

OK, so turns out the Regulation Cobra division is a bit of work. Especially when you suck at plotting. ;) Who races with an effective two jump range? I'd sooner kiss a wookie...

I know this will break the hearts of Alot and Alec Turner but I hereby retire the Aluminum Falcon and am switching over to my main gal, the Asp Shipwrecked and Comatose, in the unlimted category. Go ahead, hit me with the DNF. Not the first, won't be the last. :p

A pity, too, since the Falcon was decked out in my absolute favorite livery in the game.

5zkSwWf.jpg

It was the best of times,
It was the worst of times.

On second thought it was the worst of times. I juuuuuust missed first place by a hair, if a hair is about 45 minutes long. :p

Kessel Run's a great race, though! Just for all of the sheer variety of systems you visit. And though I inflicted about 50K of damage to my beloved Comatose, I racked up about 270K at the Universal Cartographics kiosk. Probably could shave a minute or 30 off my time with some better route planning for sure, but I ran into a series of mishaps midway through the course. Couple reroutes due to unscoopables, no biggie... Got greedy and tried to sneak in an extra boost while landing at the port at HIP 18609 (I think it was "Kessel" Something) that took a bite out of my hull... then jumped into a contact binary that cooks your ship evenly on both sides. That resulted in a fun little FSD malfunction, but thanks to some wiser racers than I, I had learned to pack empty slots in the ship with repair units so after pulling the cord a few times I got the ol' engine started. Then got interdicted for good measure. Throw in a couple of planetary face plants at Latoris and LHS 2936, mix it all up and you got a run that will get you halfway up the board assuming nobody else finishes. :p

*sigh* ... shoulda taken the Aluminum Falcon out again. That's what I get for being a nice guy.

Awesome race, Stern. Lots of jumps and really hard to eyeball a good route, but you get to see a really good variety of systems and stations. My last stop was LHS 2936 - really dig those scientific outposts. (Think that what it was anyway, one of those that looked all 2001ish.) No matter what else, ED can still generate some of the best vistas of any game. CMDRs who stick to the beaten path miss out on a lot of the wow factor.

Anyway, time to head to Mos Eisley for a Bantha milkshake (mixed with a shot or three of Indi bourbon - got a few cases in reserve.) Time permitting I might get in a run tomorrow, but in the mean time the Cantina Band is warming up...

Saturday morning board update:

vVUAp9J.png

Df2S9Ak.png

Where we see CMDR Knils Nodantasee post his both new and improved time of 1:28:14, CMDR Scottgray83 shaving nearly 23 minutes off his previous time and finally CMDR ElectricZ, our Lord and Master, has come among us and posts a 2:15:24 in his ""Shipwrecked and Comatose.

On the Reg. Cobra board we have CMDR Scottgray83, who must have had a busy week racing, since he also managed to shave 7 minutes off his time here. CMDR Dash Swiftfast, having dusted off his HOTAS for this event, posted a respectable 1:53:47 in his "Centennial Parrot"

Well done, CMDRs. Keep up the fast work :D

grrrrrr!

flipping shadowplay cut out after 52 mins! most annoying. on the up side I still have some race skillzzzzzz. prior to launch i thought i'd be happy with a sub 90. i was happy - aside from the shadowplay issue. hopefully get another run in tomorrow.

i'll be 'mashing' f10!

fly flagrant
<-lightspeed->

Can feel the pain, I've made the entire run keeping an eye on that small green dot in the corner of the screen, luckily it never failed me up to now. Usually in previous races I was a F10 compulsive masher, but I must admit that not having to reach the key each time, in a race like this where you barely touch down before launching again, can save precious seconds on the long run.

Well I thought it'd be a shame to put together such a nice route for one run, so I gave it another go... Despite hitting the "refuel all hangs the entire UI" bug necessitating a quick trip to the main menu, and an interdiction on my way to Kessel Port, I managed a small improvement. So much for that one second, Stern. :p

Last edited:
Just under 5½ hours left...

L2bx3Fj.png

IB4rH9T.png

Two new entries in the Open Unlimited board: CMDRs AkenB and Cookiehole both arrive in Solo Orbiter in stellar times: AkenB stealing 1st place from CMDR Samwell Drakhyr, besting him by only 18 seconds. CMDR AkenB, in turn, was similarly robbed by CMDR Cookiehole who posted a mindboggling time of 1:17:04.
CMDR K@minsky returned to improve his previous time by nearly an hour.

In regulation Cobra, CMDR Alot improved his seemingly unreachable time by more than a minute, finishing in 1:24:42. It's still a mystery how he does it, but "Alot" must be the new superlative for fastest.

Great work, CMDRs. I'm looking forward to what the last few hours might bring. Fly faster :D

On the one hand... I'm sad that I would no longer be fourth if transplanted onto the open leaderboard. On the other hand, I'm happy to see the Haulers back in their rightful place. :D

Nice flying, Cookiehole and Aken!

Top Bottom