Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run - Episode II (30 April-15 May)

To commemorate "Star Wars", the classic audiovisual entertainment series from the 20th and 21st century, the Buckyball Racing Club presents Episode 2 of the galactic race:

E4Cy7TV.png

The race is starting from George Lucas station in Leesti and ends in Solo Orbiter in Altair. Between start and finish, you have to dock at every station and outpost named "Kessel" in any order you prefer. You don't need Horizons to participate in this race.

Every waypoint must be documented by taking and submitting screenshots to the race marshalls, along with shots of the outfitting screens and a beauty-shot of your ship.

Ships and classes:

This time we have only two classes; Regulation Cobra and Open unlimited:

The Regulation Cobra Mk III: Cobra Loadout
Can be built for around 7Mcr. This class can be flown in either Solo or Open mode.

If you want to, you can upgrade the Basic Discovery scanner and weaponry as long as the mass of the ship remains unchanged.
No other modules may be altered. Please note: To make the run a little more challenging, the fuel tank size has been reduced, so plot your course carefully, CMDR.

In the Open Unlimited Spec class the sky's the limit. Any ship with any loadout can participate. Make sure that your flashy racer can land at outposts. This class MUST be run in Open.

NOTE: The use of Jumponium is NOT permitted in any class.

Posting your intent to race:

Reply to this thread with the following information:

CMDR (in-game) Name.
Forum Name, if different from your CMDR.
Class you will be running in (Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited)
Ship type, if in Open Unlimited.
Ship Name.

The course:

The stations / systems in question are:

SystemStationType
LeestiGeorge LucasStarport - Start line
HannengKessel EnterpriseOutpost
LatorasKessel ColonyOutpost
Dao JunguKessel GatewayOutpost
EdenapelKessel HubOutpost
HIP 18609Kessel LegacyOutpost
ApuraraiKessel PlatformOutpost
ChediqKessel PlatformOutpost
Ba NarrKessel PortOutpost
LHS 2936Kessel PortOutpost
HR 4749Kessel RingOutpost
HIP 82964Kessel StationStarport
HurusalkiKessel TerminalOutpost
KhodiaKessel's InheritanceOutpost
AltairSolo OrbiterStarport - Finish line

Documenting your run:

You have to document both your ship and its equipment by taking screenshots of both the weapons and modules tabs in the outfitting screen.
You also have to document your racing time by taking screenshots on the following locations:
1. Just before pressing "Launch" in George Lucas - The clock has to be visible.
2. At every "Kessel" station and outpost you dock at. Again, the clock and station name has to be visible.
3. When you arrive in Solo Orbiter, take the final screenshot as described above.
More detailed descriptions can be found HERE

Normally, the F10-key is bound to taking screenshots. The images are normally located in the folder /Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Pictures/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous
As an alternative, you can record your entire run on video, using ShadowPlay or similar software, then make still pictures from the paused video using the cutting tool in Windows.

Beauty shots:

In order to maximize the return on your investment in paint jobs for your ship, you have the opportunity to send in a beauty shot of your ship together with the outfitting shots. The beauty shots are to be taken as follows:

1. Find a nice class F star in your vicinity and travel to it. Come to a complete stop as soon as you exit hyperspace and drop out of supercruise.
2. Pitch and yaw your ship, so the center of the upper edge of the scanner is aligned with the lower right quadrant of the star, as shown in the picture.
3. Enter the Debug Camera-mode and manoeuvre your camera drone so it can take a screenshot of your ship from the upper left side.

Beauty shot instructions:
dPSsigt.png
FopJchT.png

Handing in your racing documentation:

Your documentation should consist of:

1 Beauty shot
2 Outfitting shots (weapons and modules).
14 Shots of you docked at the stations/outposts showing the station clock.

Post all these images on imgur or a similar image hosting service - one page per racing time submission.

Then send an email stating:

In the subject field: Your CMDR name and Your racing time.

NOTE: Please use THIS to calculate the correct racing time.

In the mail body:

Forum Name (if different from CMDR)
Racing class
Ship type (if not regulation Cobra)
Ship name

A link to your racing documentation images.

to

stern.winter@buckyballracing.org.uk

The race starts at Saturday, 00:00 GMT 30. April 3302. No runs attempted before that time will count.
All timed runs have to be submitted no later than Sunday, 23:59:59 GMT 15. May 3302.

Racing boards:

Open Unlimited leaderboard

MiYZ99s.png

Regulation Cobra Mk III leaderboard

aJDcd7K.png

Yet again, George Lucas station has graciously agreed to give registered racers preferred launch priority over normal traffic, but stresses that all docking / undocking regulations must be followed. Reckless flying, like boosting out of the entrance, will not be tolerated.

On May the 4. a special racing event will take place. More details to follow.

The Kessel Run is sponsored by:

UbRqzPm.png

Last edited:
Since there's no regulation sidewinder class, I'm going to run the regulation sidewinder that I put together for last year's Kessel Run, which I didn't have time to race. She's been waiting at George Lucas station ever since...
intent to race: CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
race class: Open Unlimited
ship type: Sidewinder
ship name: Obviously Unobtrusive

Something something voices ... cried out in terror ... something.

But Kessel Terminal is a much longer journey in SC....9,150 ls vs 5,552 ls.

EDIT: Hmm...I assumed the stations would be constant in the game. EDDB lists 20 Kessels as opposed to the 13 I found in the GalMap for Episode I. Too late now, but will update next Kessel Run to reflect this.

Last edited:
Something something voices ... cried out in terror ... something.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!! ill never join you! ;)
EDIT: Hmm...I assumed the stations would be constant in the game. EDDB lists 20 Kessels as opposed to the 13 I found in the GalMap for Episode I. Too late now, but will update next Kessel Run to reflect this.
it wasn't the sc distance.. it was ly away from the rest of the course and took up 20% of the race time, or something silly.
is this the same course as last year? if its not started.. its not to late to change it ;)

Last edited:

Planetary Outposts have been added since Episode I.

is this the same course as last year?

Almost...In stead of finishing 400LY outside the bubble in Jabbah, this time it's Solo Orbiter in Altair in

WARNING - The Force Awakens spoiler:
If you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want to be spoiled, don't click the button!
Are you really sure ?
Are you really, really sure ?
Are you really, really, really sure ?
So certain you are, But know best yourself you must...
memory of the late Captain Solo
- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Planetary Outposts have been added since Episode I.

D'oh....I'm keeping the original route, so people without Horizons can participate.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

it wasn't the sc distance.. it was ly away from the rest of the course and took up 20% of the race time, or something silly.
.. its not to late to change it ;)

I understand your concern, but leaving it out for the sake of convenience kind of feels wrong to me...blame it on my OCD completionism :D

Last edited:
Oh, and a quick tip for you folks ... don't forget to bypass the compressor!
Warning: this is a clip from Force Awakens, not massively spoilery but still ...
.. a bit spoilery, are you sure?
[video=youtube;44H2_cu02P4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44H2_cu02P4[/video]

Well, the fuel tank on the Regulation Cobra ought to make things interesting... I like interesting. As demonstrated quite violently last night, I also need more practice at landing the Doorstop. :D

CMDR Alot
Regulation Cobra
Ballistic Doorstop, Cobra MkIII

Might go in for open as well later ... for Hauler-related reasons ... but not for now, depends if I have time :p

Last edited:
I understand your concern, but leaving it out for the sake of convenience kind of feels wrong to me...blame it on my OCD completionism :D
well im sure you discussed it with drakhyr so if hes cool with it i am. i would have seen it as an oppertunity to refine the last race rather than just do the same one again. but i think thats just me. ;) what im most pleased about is you put a drop shadow on the title so its more legible. well played. May the force be with you to all that race.

EDIT:- yeah i know the ends changed..i still think its pretty much like the last one .. and weve done that already.. thats just my opinion though so dont listen to grumpy old me. i actually didnt mind the jabbah bit.

Last edited:
well im sure you discussed it with drakhyr so if hes cool with it i am. i would have seen it as an oppertunity to refine the last race rather than just do the same one again. but i think thats just me. ;) what im most pleased about is you put a drop shadow on the title so its more legible. well played. May the force be with you to all that race.

Well, to be fair we're not going to Jabbah this time, that knocks a good bit off the journey. :p

Top Bottom