Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run - Episode II (30 April-15 May)

I was hoping I'd be able to shout "FIRST!!" after getting a run in this morning... Then I realised the challenges involved in route plotting with the Regulation Cobra. :D

Still, I think I now have a complete route, so once I get home on Monday I should be able to put a time on the board!

Speaking of...Stern, can we equip the reg. Cobra with empty cargo racks, to assist with fuel management while routing?

Hi everybody!
Having positioned an Asp and a regulation Cobra in Leesti and calculated a route for each....
I'm registering the intent to run....
Cmdr. Name: Inodoro Pereyra
Forum Name: Onane
Open Regulation Cobra, "Mos Eisley Crap"
Open Unlimited Asp Explorer, "Mos Espa Crap"

Speaking of...Stern, can we equip the reg. Cobra with empty cargo racks, to assist with fuel management while routing?

Sorry, but then you're moving into Open Unlimited :) ...The point of having the Regulation class was for everyone to race with identical ships.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I was hoping I'd be able to shout "FIRST!!"

You still can. No-one has posted a time yet :)

What is happening on the 4th?

because if its a live event,
I'm going to need some heads up to arrange time to make it and potentially grab others.

I am not submitting an attempt this evening (US west coast time) due to the starport services screen lockup bug.

I've done a trial run this afternoon, which was fun. Made sure I can get all the screen shots, plus I needed to scan a few of the systems.

Unfortunately, my laptop is having serious hardware problems at the moment, so I have not had a chance to compete properly. I have a desktop machine that can run the game but I'm struggling just to fly from place to place and would not be able to race, only fly around the course. I'm taking my laptop in for a service on Wednesday but in the worst case scenario it's a goner; the best case scenario would involve refreshing/updating the bios and graphics drivers and getting it cleaned out thoroughly. I'm worried there has been permanent heat damage (Afterburner tells me that four of the GPU cores are running at 98 degrees after 30-40minutes of playing but can't get readings on two others) but I bought this laptop on the same day ED launched and have been through a lot with it, so I really don't want to lose it. In the best case scenario I should have it back before the end of the race and be able to run in my Sidey as planned, otherwise I'll think about racing a different ship (probably my Adder) so I have time in one evening to complete the course.
Good luck to everyone racing and to all those taking part in the MWM!

Unfortunately, my laptop is having serious hardware problems at the moment, so I have not had a chance to compete properly. I have a desktop machine that can run the game but I'm struggling just to fly from place to place and would not be able to race, only fly around the course. I'm taking my laptop in for a service on Wednesday but in the worst case scenario it's a goner; the best case scenario would involve refreshing/updating the bios and graphics drivers and getting it cleaned out thoroughly. I'm worried there has been permanent heat damage (Afterburner tells me that four of the GPU cores are running at 98 degrees after 30-40minutes of playing but can't get readings on two others) but I bought this laptop on the same day ED launched and have been through a lot with it, so I really don't want to lose it. In the best case scenario I should have it back before the end of the race and be able to run in my Sidey as planned, otherwise I'll think about racing a different ship (probably my Adder) so I have time in one evening to complete the course.
Good luck to everyone racing and to all those taking part in the MWM!

Sounds like the best excuse ever to buy a new computer :D . Best of luck, CMDR.

On a more serious note, have you tried to clean the fan by (carefully) blowing compressed air into the exhaust ?

Sounds like the best excuse ever to buy a new computer :D . Best of luck, CMDR.

On a more serious note, have you tried to clean the fan by (carefully) blowing compressed air into the exhaust ?

When blowing the fans, be sure to stop the fan with a screwdriver (or something), because most of them have dc motors that can generate electricity when rotated at high velocities, and thus can damage the electronic that control them.

PD: First lousy run data sent...

Last edited:
The first run I somehow managed to miss out one screenshot meaning I was missing the full set of proofs fro my run so I ran it again today;
3 hours, 57 minutes and 52 seconds revised time as I made the schoolboy error of not changing my map setting from Economy to Fastest route ^^

Oh can I give a shout out to Cmdr DarKourS as well who sent me a Direct Message during my run but unfortunately I'm a new player and had no clue at that time as to how to reply, wasn't ignoring you mate and your the 1st player to actually say Hi since I've played so Good hunting & Cya in Space!

Last edited:
We have our first racing time submissions:

Open:

2xV7Aut.png

Regulation Cobra:

aOTfTFD.png

where CMDR Onane blasts his way into first place with 1:25:49, followed by K@minsky, an up-and-coming new Commander, racing in his not quite racing-specced ship and achieving 11:27:15. We salute your drive and determination, CMDR.

In the meantime, the Beggar's Canyon special event is slowly taking shape:

I was just about to post to say - I've been away on a visit to the Menin Gate in Ypres and now I'm back and how come there are aren't any scores on the doors yet? But I see there are. Cool, game on. I'm hoping to put in a run later this afternoon, just as soon as I've put W@r B@st@rd into dry dock and made my way back from Cubeo to pick up my Kessel running ship (assuming she's still parked where I left her).

Alec Turner
Cobra Mk III
Mnemonic Null Fail

First run aborted approximately half way through as I ran out of time. This was mostly due to the fact that Jameson Memorial in Shinrarta Dezhra (where the Mnemonic Null Fail was berthed) is currently under seige by a group of players and I lost 2 haulers attempting to run their blockade before I finally managed to get in under their radar using a combination of boost and silent running. Luckily for me the Mnemoic is a fast ship ("you never heard of the Mnemonic Null Fail old man?") because they were waiting for me when I blew back out of there and I suspect a lesser vessel would have fallen prey to their 3-pronged ram and dumb-fire attack.

Now hoping to get my first full run in tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
The Reg. Cobra is a fun challenge!

• Insufficient fuel;
  • Destination target obscured;
  • Heat levels critical!

That's Buckyball racing!

My 1st full run is completed, with lots of room for improvement. 2 interdictions; a stellar belly flop; and the Planetary Approach Suite causing litho-breaking that wouldn't have happened in a ship without one. It's getting removed in future attempts. But the route works (no unscoopables), and I think it's maybe only 2 more jumps than the same ship with a proper fuel tank could achieve.

Will get screenshots together and sent off asap.

Top Bottom