Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Last Gasp (06.01.3304 - 14.01.3304)

Day #9 scoreboard ...

Db62gyA.png

So first we have Cmdr Stinja, new to the heartbreak of Buckyball Racing, who's been putting up a bold fight to get off the bottom of the Unlimited Class leaderboard and nearly managed it too with a fine run of 1366.82 (1:08 remaining on the O2 clock).

Alas Cmdr Ashnak also ran again, refining that 8-stop route somewhat to gain nearly 100ly, finishing with just 41 seconds of air left and a final score of 1496.55. Sorry Stinja, got the energy for one final push?

Meanwhile, up at the other end of the Unlimited leaderboard Cmdr Alot clearly had his eye on that 2k barrier, swapped out the 8-stop route for an incredible 10-stops (I mean, how is that even possible?) and finished with a rather poetic final score of 2018.06 (too bad I'm not running this race in June). Congratulations! (I may be jumping the gun but I'm thinking I might have to get a new rubber stamp made! - unless ... anyone seen you-know-who?).

And finally, in the regulation Hauler class, there's some major news as Cmdr Hanekura Shizuka comes out of nowhere and gasps straight into the number one spot, 90ly ahead of Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr. With just 7 seconds remaining on the O2 clock that's a superb final score of 1214.23. Hanekura ... you do realise that Drakhyr is the custodian of the Sagittarius A* scoreboards right? I'm just saying, it might not be a great idea to provoke him!

Just under 7hrs left commanders! (launch gates close at midnight game-time tonight).

o7

Last edited:
2018.06!!! WOW!!
10 stops!! How??

That is truly amazing.

Alec - i'm assuming the scoreboard is incorrect with Cmdr Assie Elbub only listed in 6th place?

2018.06!!! WOW!!
10 stops!! How??

That is truly amazing.

Alec - i'm assuming the scoreboard is incorrect with Cmdr Assie Elbub only listed in 6th place?

Damn ... you know what happened there, I'm so used to races where smaller numbers are better that I had a momentary brain fart while insertion sorting the new entries. I'll correct that ASAP - apologies for the disservice I've done Cmdr Azzie!

Last edited:
anyone seen you-know-who?
buried-in-work.jpg

I won't make it this time. I wasted the free time I had yesterday with analyzing the travel-distance vs. dockings problem (will be interesting to compare the results to the eventual real-world winning-strategy) and realized way too late into the process that there actually don't seem to be any/many viable systems at the correct distance [noob]. But why spend time in game getting some runs in when instead you can plunge into your math lecture notes and try to finally understand multidimensional optimization (and then realize you still have no clue) and then argue with math software to finally get a solution? :p
Today, homework took a lot longer than expected and now I'm too tired to get a run in that I would be happy with. On the other hand, that means I don't have to try and beat Alot :D
Good luck and fly fast in any last-minute attempts, I'm looking forward to the final results!

Thanks for organising Alec, it was interesting :) The life support count down is a cool new addition to race ideas, very intense.

It appears my strategy was the wrong one though :(

Sorry for not being able to participate in this race - it looked like a lot of fun.

Congratulations to the winners.

We had a fire in the basement of our apartment building - this is what is left of the Internet connection for 32 apartments:
WJUtJNi.jpg

Starting to get pretty desperate...

Last edited:
Morning everyone!

I'll be doing the final scoreboard (and maybe some pie charts) later today (might wait a little bit in case of late submissions). In the meantime I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. I've just watched the entirety of Cmdr Alot's 2018ly run and I must say it's wrong (or at least, not how I would have done it) in so many ways (no use of bookmarks, supercrusing between multiple stations in same system rather than jumping back and forth, manually selecting stations from nav' panel, heavy shieldless landings, cutting fuel fine in favour of hot scooping and then having to refuel at stations occasionally, flying past binary moons and looping back around, terrible music :p) ... and yet, and yet ... boy did it work!

It's also interesting to compare runs like the one I just had from racer1 (who was the only person to venture out as far as those 300ly+ pre logistic support outposts in the Pleiades). It really does seem like there was a balance to be found between number of stations and distance from LHS 142.

Fascinating stuff. Any requests for particular statistics? (I'll certainly do a chart of all the systems used and maybe a chart of typical system distances from start point, perhaps with a split between top and bottom half of the leaderboard so you can see which choices seemed more effective).

P.S. apologies for not replying to many individual submission pm's and emails this time, I was pushed for time and checking the submissions (thank you all for being so accurate) took longer than I'd imagined!

Last edited:
I've just watched the entirety of Cmdr Alot's 2018ly run and I must say it's wrong (or at least, not how I would have done it) in so many ways
I'm special. :D

no use of bookmarks
This is an interesting one - I think I'm so used to just typing the names in due to previous races that I usually find it more reliable than trying to poke the bookmarks UI under pressure!

supercrusing between multiple stations in same system rather than jumping back and forth
Sshhhhh, you're spoiling the surprise! ;)

manually selecting stations from nav' panel
Yeah, that is the downside of the "no bookmarks" thing - although in this case it was somewhat necessary; given that I had two outposts to visit in each system, it wasn't always consistent which one was the better to visit first... So I sort-of had to make that choice once already in the system.

heavy shieldless landings
... yeah, guilty as charged. I am really quite rusty when it comes to good racing form; the heavy duty engineered hull saved my life so much. :p

terrible music :p
Bah! ;)

I have a "wot I did and why I did wot I did" write-up half-done, I'll finish that up in a bit. :)

Morning everyone!

I'll be doing the final scoreboard (and maybe some pie

Yay! Pie!

...charts)

...oh. [sour]
*puts away the fancy party hat and plastic cup*

I've just watched the entirety of Cmdr Alot's 2018ly run and I must say it's wrong (or at least, not how I would have done it) in so many ways

Hey, it's Alot you're speaking of, he can't fly as random as anyone of us mortals!

no use of bookmarks

Ok, that's pretty rough even for my standards.

supercrusing between multiple stations in same system rather than jumping back and forth

Done (albeit only in my first couple runs), check!

manually selecting stations from nav' panel

Done, check!

heavy shieldless landings

*CLANG!* - a heavily dented check!

cutting fuel fine in favour of hot scooping and then having to refuel at stations occasionally

Done, check! (definitely faster than scooping in some cases)

flying past binary moons and looping back around

Done, check!

terrible music

Can't honestly say, everything sounded muffled and I felt dizzy all the time, memories are sketchy. :p

So what I gather from all of this is...no matter how you plan and how you fly, Alot does it faster. No surprises here. :D

OK, (final? - pending any corrections or last minute submissions) scoreboard ...

x7mdRfz.png

Just two new scores - first we have a new entry from Cmdr Markzx59 who decided to take his "Hellfire" DBX to a bunch of remote outposts in the Pleiades all over 300ly away from LHS 142. Somewhat surprisingly (at face value anyway) this tactic failed dismally and leaves Markzx59 at the bottom of the Unlimited table with a final score of 1328.03 (just 18s of O2 remaining on the clock). Nice try sir, sorry it didn't work out.

Then in an ultimately unnecessary (but nevertheless perfectly understandable) bid to protect his number 1 position from cookiehole, we have an improved Hauler run from Cmdr Hanekura Shizuka in "Breezy". With a total distance of 1210.73ly, he finished his 5-stop tour (he was keen that I should keep this secret until the end) with 52s left on the clock for a bonus of 26ly and a final score of 1236.73.

Oh, and speaking of Cmdr Shizuka, I think I'm right in saying that the following award is overdue:

qeeOEBx.png

So, pending any last minute submissions, corrections or disputes, it looks like our winners are:

Unlimited Class
First: Cmd Alot
Second: Cmdr <-lightspeed->
Third: Cmdr Aken B.​

Hauler Class
First: Cmdr Hanekura Shizuka
Second: Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr
Third: Cmdr Aken B.​

Congratulations to the winners (please feel free to share the videos of your run in this thread to silence the doubts of those who are thinking "But, but, HOW?"), commiserations to the losers and thanks as always to everyone who took part.

Pies coming soon(ish).

Last edited:
Thank you for hosting this race, Alec, and my apologies for not giving this race the attention it deserves.

Apparently, my mind is in full Subnautica Mode, and it apparently won't let me get sidetracked by other things (like Elite) until I've officially escaped the Planet, or I finally make a fatal error on my Hardcore survival game that's now approaching 60 hours in length.

For the record, I'd managed to find two systems within a jump of each other, about 200 light years out, each with three outposts within 100 ls of their primary, for the regulation Hauler race. I think my plan was solid, I'd managed to make up half the time I needed between dives, but my heart just wasn't in it.

On a more morbid note, given the nature of the Mesmer in Subnautica, I'm half convinced this race was a dying dream of one of my previous Hardcore saves. I had quite a few drowning deaths from that tiny fish, before I learned to avoid that thing like the plague. ;)

Esvandiary, Alec,
Can you please share the link of the wining runs... so at least we (have the opportunity to) learn something from the people that knows how to fly (fast)...

Alec
Thanks for this very fun race and your time to marshal it.

Congrats to the winners!!

Top Bottom