Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Mischief Mile (5.12 - 13.12)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well my first 2 runs ended in true Buckyball style ;) First one the computer forgot the route and in a panic I lost about 1 minute working out what to do, hehe, so I thought I'd start again. Passed Drakhyr on the way out and then; landing pad blocked when trying to refuel; tried to make it anyway but 1 jump too short; got a bug and even though should have been able to drop out at the next station it just dropped me into normal space; interdicted :D

oh I should probably mention, anyone having long transisitons to stations.. try lowering your graphics.. it helped for me. for a while I thought it was an open / solo thing.. but for me. lower graphics mean 1 or 2 secs to get to station as appose to on ultra settings which I usually have on .. station instance takes 15 seconds to load.. freaky..think how much better my previous times could have been if id known that. the kessel had flippin 13 stops. that's like 2 minutes I could have saved. ridiculous.

I cannot believe that I had not thought of that either, I might give that a go on the way back...

Racing Kliggson was fun even if, as usual with these head-to-heads, we didn't manage to complete the course without one of us getting interdicted, messing up a landing or *ahem* pasting the wrong waypoint from the clipboard and going the wrong way.
[video=youtube;da-a6FVg5sw]https://youtu.be/da-a6FVg5sw[/video]

Just lost my first ship at Ocampo. Speed docking? Nah, I was trying to park on top of Stern Winters control tower but it turns out the security at Ocampo has zero sense of humour when it comes to landing pad violations. B*****ds!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well I managed to get 1 timed run in earlier, but these Hyperspace transitions are killing me, just spent 2 minutes in one. I think I'm done for the night, back to the Beta for me ;)

Yeah, I tried a few runs this morning (US Pacific time) but I was adding 5 minutes to my earlier test run times just in time spent in witchspace tunnels. I think this one may go to whoever has the closest physical proximity to Frontier's server farm. ;)

Last edited:
In both cases, I failed to specify that I'll be bringing Snickers. I wasn't sure if that is useful for the declaration of intent.

As I understand it, the declaration of intent is optional anyway, it's just considered good form. So I doubt it's binding in any way on what your final entry ends up being.

As I understand it, the declaration of intent is optional anyway, it's just considered good form. So I doubt it's binding in any way on what your final entry ends up being.

Exactly, you can end up racing what you want, just tell me on your entry submissions :)

Well I managed to get 1 timed run in earlier, but these Hyperspace transitions are killing me, just spent 2 minutes in one. I think I'm done for the night, back to the Beta for me ;)

Same here... 3-4 min lost in one direction and less in the other due to extended witchspace.
Will try again later when most players are sleeping.

Edit: Tried robinjb suggestion to set to LOW the graphic settings; but after a couple of 2 minutes witchspace aborted the run. It seems to help when the transition is normal, but when server doesn't answer (Sunday syndrome) no setting will help.
Have in mind, if you set the graphics to LOW, to set the materials to MEDIUM, because otherwise you'll not see the green and red light in the mailslot, and they're kind of useful to avoid being a grasshopper in the windshield of a T-9. ;)

Last edited:
Edit: Tried robinjb suggestion to set to LOW the graphic settings; but after a couple of 2 minutes witchspace aborted the run. It seems to help when the transition is normal, but when server doesn't answer (Sunday syndrome) no setting will help.
Have in mind, if you set the graphics to LOW, to set the materials to MEDIUM, because otherwise you'll not see the green and red light in the mailslot, and they're kind of useful to avoid being a grasshopper in the windshield of a T-9. ;)

Lol, yeah that does happen on all low settings.. ive bumped mine up but kept ambient occlusion off and im still getting quick station transitions.. so maybe its got something to do with that..
when it first came out I don't remember it taking so long to get into a station instance but over the last few months its crept up. I think fdev only have one AMD card in a cupboard.
I just put in another run and networks back to the normal 14 second jumps for me. best of luck to all runners.

Lol, yeah that does happen on all low settings.. ive bumped mine up but kept ambient occlusion off and im still getting quick station transitions.. so maybe its got something to do with that..
when it first came out I don't remember it taking so long to get into a station instance but over the last few months its crept up. I think fdev only have one AMD card in a cupboard.
I just put in another run and networks back to the normal 14 second jumps for me. best of luck to all runners.

Yes! After 01:00 GMT no more network problems. Both runs 2 minutes less...
The rest of the delay is due to the chair-HOTAS interface!
Sending the data in few minutes.

Last edited:
...if you set the graphics to LOW, to set the materials to MEDIUM, because otherwise you'll not see the green and red light in the mailslot, and they're kind of useful to avoid being a grasshopper in the windshield of a T-9. ;)

Every time I see a T-9 it seems to be going right down the middle. I think right of way goes to the vessel with superior tonnage. ;)

The first formal entries came in overnight, so here is the first board update!

CNyVbqk.jpg

Buckyball regular CMDR Kliggson streaks in at the top of the board, with an early morning second submission placing him a whisker ahead of CMDR Furrycat, who has an equally fast time. CMDRs Ozric and Indora Pereyra also put in good times with Oname submitting a great Bonus Snickers run as well.

CMDR Birdnose bucked the opening weekend trend of running in Asps and DBXs to bring his Adder home in a very respectable time, especially carrying limpets.

None of the regular Fuel Rats have submitted an entry yet, so I wonder if they will be the first for a Limpet refuelling, and I'm looking forward to the first crazy class time :)

I'll keep the times hidden on the board until Saturday and I am notifying competitors how close/far they are from the entries around them.

Fly fast CMDRs!

Last edited:
None of the regular Fuel Rats have submitted an entry yet, so I wonder if they will be the first for a Limpet refuelling, and I'm looking forward to the first crazy class time :)

I'll see if I can assist with that this evening...

CMDR: Alot
Ship Name: Samborca
Ship Type: Orca
Race Class: Open
Bonus Snickers: Yes!

As for the Regulars race... I think everyone else has the favourites like the DBX and the Asp (my personal prediction!) covered, so I'm going to go for a ship that's a bit more fun to fly...

CMDR: Alot
Ship Name: Woggle
Ship Type: Diamondback Scout
Race Class: Open
Bonus Snickers: Probably not

I was considering calling this one "Honour?! I hardly know 'er!" but I couldn't bring myself to make Rusti double (or more) the width of the Ship Name column :p

Last edited:
Huh? I sent you mine at 9:23am yersterday morning, did you not get it?

Hmm, no.

*rummages about in the spam folder* "Gold Necklaces"? "Gutter Cleaning Services"!?! "Hi, I saw your profile..." "MVG Transaction" "Mischief Mile/Alec Turner" "Exclusive 15% discount"

Aha, there it is! I thought it odd I hadn't seen anything as you said you would - I had meant to ping you about it.

Sorry about that. You are now a pending update on the board and would currently enter in 5th Place.

Hmm, no.

*rummages about in the spam folder* "Gold Necklaces"? "Gutter Cleaning Services"!?! "Hi, I saw your profile..." "MVG Transaction" "Mischief Mile/Alec Turner" "Exclusive 15% discount"

Aha, there it is!

Spam? SPAM!?! how dare they, I sweated blood over that. Oh well, keep an eye out for today's "spam" (which I've just sent you). An improvement over yesterday's spam although whether it will get me better than 5th on the spam board remains to be seen.

P.S. hmmm, I need my gutter cleaning ... any chance you could forward that one to me?

Last edited:
Cmdr Alot! Forget about the race!! There is a nice neutron star 20000ly after SagA* a little to the right, with 6 terrestrial worlds that You must see now! :p
PD: Just kidding!

I'm running in an Orca, what more do you want :D

(OK, the Diamondback Scout is a little more competitive, but it still shouldn't be a winner by any stretch :p)

I do believe your Orca has clearly trumped by Imperial Eagle for least-suited-to-the-event status now.

In other news, I gained an Imperial Navy rank, so it's not out of the question that while I am waiting for my new glasses I might raise my rank sufficiently to purchase a second Courier for racing... at which point I might have a Regulars entry as well.

Hmm... sticking with my theme naming, I suppose I'd have to name her Durandal... though if I do that, I feel like Joyeuse should be the racer and Durandal the fighter, somehow?

I do believe your Orca has clearly trumped by Imperial Eagle for least-suited-to-the-event status now.

I... OK, yeah I must admit it hadn't clicked regarding the tank size vs FSD size on the iEagle. That's impressively bad. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom