Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Mischief Mile (5.12 - 13.12)

What a great run!
To elaborate a bit on the chat at the end of the video: Yeah, that was a pretty perfect run, all good Hyperspace times and good dropout locations at the main star too. Also I managed to do it pretty much without mistakes (was the 4th attempt I guess).
The time between the FSD cooldown being complete at the star (so the point when you start charging your next jump if you don't refuel) and leaving the masslock of the outpost was around 1:40, so 50-70s longer than a good limpet refueling.
Which is pretty much the exact same time furrycat was faster in the DBX. :)

While the station approaches were way slower in the Anaconda compared to the DBX (around 45s more at Wollheim Vision, so 90s in total) having one jump less to do and no dedicated refueling stops made it a little bit faster again.
"Speeding" towards a station with 180m/s didn't feel like racing at all though. :D

Yeah, I figured it had to be a combination of a really good route, a really clean run, and the server behaving itself to produce that kind of time.

I know the feeling on the other, too... docking at Fuelum and Ocampo definitely felt a lot less speedy after I sold off my A-rank thrusters in search of more range.

From the video description (and you'll have to pretend you're watching this at Sunday lunch for added suspense) ...

Buckyball Racing: Take the Dream

Date: Sunday 13th December 3301
Time: 6:57am
Place: Ocampo Station, Mirateje system
Ship class: Diamondback Explorer
Ship name: The Bananery Fandango
Race: The Mischief Mile

After a week of racing, less than 18hrs remain before the event closes. After a brief spell in the number one spot, I've been officially knocked into 2nd place and in practice I know I've slipped a lot further down the leader-board. With instancing problems causing me to abandon limpet refueling techniques I've been forced to attempt one last desperate station refueling run in order to try and regain my winning position...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2SRskj65E

That ending looked... familiar. Remarkably familiar. Except I tend to remember it with a Viper cockpit instead.

Sucks to have it happen right at the end of what looked like a pretty good run, though.

You have my sympathies.

Would rep, but have to hand out more to others first, it seems.

Last edited:
First run from Tepech, I forgot to take the screenshot in MCC811, while the good CMDR Kliggson was refuelling me. I made a quick-ish turnaround in Ocampa for a new run, but my fat fingers failed to find the correct key for screenshots - I don't know what I pressed, just that I pressed something twice in quick succession. The outcome was that I had to use my arrival shot as a departure shot, making my return run 1½ minutes slower than it would normally have been. Oh well. Good times were had by all regardless.

I had those kinds of screenshot fumbles often enough that I finally started just recording my whole run with OBS, so I'd have a backup. I haven't noticed any frame rate degradation -- I suspect OBS and Elite are probably running on different cores. Admittedly I haven't measured, though.

As a side bonus I get to make clips of my funniest docking bloopers. ;>

Well, the first videos are online, although the fast Conda run and the Bonus snickers DBX Run still wait for some Bandwith...

DBX Run:
[video=youtube_share;1Dn_6_ioOGg]https://youtu.be/1Dn_6_ioOGg[/video]
The audio seems to start trailing behind every time when I'm in the GalMap, I'll have to check if there is any coincidence with the bindings or if it is just weird.

The Playlist with all my recorded Fails, including the three sacrificed Diamondbacks (all before the perfect run, those 1,5mil in insurance paid out!):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4f7_fVQzLUpuquh7CiX-Rr1Z5PlBHDMy

Last edited:
I had those kinds of screenshot fumbles often enough that I finally started just recording my whole run with OBS, so I'd have a backup. I haven't noticed any frame rate degradation -- I suspect OBS and Elite are probably running on different cores. Admittedly I haven't measured, though.

As a side bonus I get to make clips of my funniest docking bloopers. ;>

I use Shadowplay for the same purpose. Hit PrtScrn instead of F10 way too many times for me to trust myself to get screenshots.

I did, by the way, figure out that it wasn't Shadowplay causing my graphics driver to crash. It's playing Elite in borderless mode that does it. If I start the game in Borderless, even if I switch to Fullscreen later, it will eventually crash the driver. If I start in Fullscreen and stay in Fullscreen, no crashes.

All things considered, it's not that bad to have arrived "in the pack" in the end, I can still brag about being the fastest delivery truck pilot of the race! :D

I started playing Elite less than a couple months ago (best unexpected birthday present of the century!), of all the things I imagined I could do in the game, before reading of the Kessel Run on the GalNet I could never have expected that bouncing around stars and docking pads with reckless abandon would have been that much fun :)...a big "thank you" to the organizers of these awesome events, and all participants of course! You're an awesome bit of community!

A bit smaller and detached "thank you" to all the (too many) participants arriving ahead of me though :p

@Rankaze - hats off to you and cmdr Aitken for an outstanding teamwork performance, his voice on the comms had that particular "Apollo mission" vibe to it, probably not intended but to me it made it sound like you two were really up to some serious work :D...and many thanks for that tip about binding separate keys for SC and hyperspace, if only I had thought of it before...curse you Nowak Orbital! *shakes fist*

@Alec Turner - great soundtrack for your not-so-great ending :p, I can imagine many of us can relate...as I wrote in a reply somewhere in previous pages, I had a very good run ruined at the last mailslot by an intimate moment with an overly attractive Python bow...in my last moments of consciousness before being taken to insurance heaven and back, i even had the privilege to see Alot's Orca gracefully docked a few meters from my drifting mauled body, too bad he didn't hear the explosive demise apparently :)

Since now we are in "video upload galore", here's a bit from me too...nothing too thrilling, and no great performance to show off, but for some reason on that last leg of my trip, the music from radio Sidewinder started to follow exactly the on-screen cues, arriving at Mirateje with that accidentally epic soundtrack, even building and silencing at the right times, gave that special feeling:

[video=youtube_share;Cp_NZnCtpw0]https://youtu.be/Cp_NZnCtpw0[/video]

Last edited:
I started playing Elite less than a couple months ago (best unexpected birthday present of the century!), of all the things I imagined I could do in the game, before reading of the Kessel Run on the GalNet I could never have expected that bouncing around stars and docking pads with reckless abandon would have been that much fun :)...a big "thank you" to the organizers of these awesome events, and all participants of course! You're an awesome bit of community!
ONE OF US!...ONE OF US!...etc.etc.
I hope the buckyball grabs hold of you like it has me. it gives me something to either dip in to or lose a week to... and if it wasn't about I doubt id play as much.

This one was a goody rusti, I spent a good part of the week trying to get a good dbx time.. and improving it even though limpets were winning then and I didn't want to do that, though I did help furry and stern out, which was unsurprisingly more interesting than lurking out the slot trying to get shots of racers that weren't in my instance or even there at that time. over the weekend me and Alot were chatting and he gave me some hints as to how to do it without stopping. noticing hed missed the cardinal rule of the buckyball which is you must boost out of the slot, I fitted a D3 on the old grey mullet to get me a little boost action. at first I couldn't get the time.. then I found a better plot to nltt 48 that saved me a jump 4 hrs before midnight.. but.. jump times.. so I had to go solo.. managed to get a good run in at 11.20. great race, good board control. congrats to the winners and well done all who took part.

Last edited:
Since now we are in "video upload galore", here's a bit from me too...nothing too thrilling, and no great performance to show off, but for some reason on that last leg of my trip, the music from radio Sidewinder started to follow exactly the on-screen cues, arriving at Mirateje with that accidentally epic soundtrack, even building and silencing at the right times, gave that special feeling:
I should listen to Radio Sidewinder more frequently! They seem time the music and News perfectly for Buckyballers.
That didn't look bad at all! Very clean flying and except some negligible details not much to improve. Enjoyed it very much!

ONE OF US!...ONE OF US!...etc.etc.
Noticing hed missed the cardinal rule of the buckyball which is you must boost out of the slot (...)
Oh I missed boosting out the mailslot so badly! Curse you 1D Power Distro that allowed for that winning route!

And the final videos are ready:
Limpet Run in the DBX. Nothing special, most interesting part is probably at 6:25 where I again had some slight contact with the "Entrance Guidance System" of Wollheim Vision. :D
https://youtu.be/unoZ2RWK9bA

The Run in "Endurance" trialed my patience at docking while making route finding super easy. The fact that this race course allowed the route planner to spit out a in this case optimal route was pure luck though.
However, here it is:
[video=youtube_share;GrWUvrd7qtU]https://youtu.be/GrWUvrd7qtU[/video]

Last edited:

https://youtu.be/Cp_NZnCtpw0

Lol ... epic! Possibly even better than the Fields of the Nephilim! :)

All things considered, it's not that bad to have arrived "in the pack" in the end, I can still brag about being the fastest delivery truck pilot of the race! :D

A bit smaller and detached "thank you" to all the (too many) participants arriving ahead of me though :p

Buckyball is, to me, kind of the soul of Elite. In a game that challenges you to find your own goals, make your own stories, that gives you a massive galaxy and says "You are here.", and doesn't presume to tell you where to go or what to do beyond that, here is an example of something purely created of the players, by the players, for the players.

There's no prize, no tangible reward... We do this because we want to and because we can! And the sense of community we share is a natural one, rather than one created by artificial, assigned groupings like you might see in an MMO. We're drawn together purely because we share a common interest in hurtling ourselves across the stars at unthinkable speeds and courting terrible risks just to see if we can. And because of this...because everyone here is doing this purely for the joy of it, we have the most friendly, genuinely enjoyable group I have ever encountered in an online game.

And it's possible because of a game that is sufficiently open to let us create something entirety our own.

It's not a perfect game, but this is something they got right.

@Rankaze - hats off to you and cmdr Aitken for an outstanding teamwork performance, his voice on the comms had that particular "Apollo mission" vibe to it, probably not intended but to me it made it sound like you two were really up to some serious work :D...and many thanks for that tip about binding separate keys for SC and hyperspace, if only I had thought of it before...curse you Nowak Orbital! *shakes fist*

It's the need for rapid precision that does it, with the voice I mean. It creates a special sort of urgency where you have to be quick and decisive but mustn't rush!

That moment when we were simultaneously realizing we came down in separate instances, and he's saying, "Up, up, up!" and I just automatically hit the supercruise toggle because it's clear he has a plan and we are in that moment where any action, even if it turns out to be the wrong action, is better than inaction, so I don't hesitate, don't question, just do. It is the same kind of decision-making you use in a real-life emergency... decision trees are rapidly pared down in the face of a need for decisive action.

When you have put as much work into something as we had by that point, you don't let it go easily, and that creates a special kind of tension. Sure, someone looking from the outside might not appreciate the weight of the moment... but to us, then, it was critical. Fortunately for us, he made the right call, and I have enough experience with making decisions in critical situations (working in a Network Operators Center for 13 years will do that) to recognize the need to act.

https://youtu.be/Cp_NZnCtpw0

Heh! I've had some moments when Ifigured iTunes had to be possessed to give me the music it did when it did from a randomized playlist, but the timing on that was both eerie and awesome.

EDIT: I think probably my best random music moment was in my BBRA* run when, after having several odd mishaps (including the graphics driver crash that caused me to take a bunch of heat damage about halfway there), just as I was starting to get settled into my rhythm again, iTunes pops up with Clint Black's "A Good Run of Bad Luck" (one of the very few country songs in my playlist, and one that was absolutely perfect for the situation), and that set the pace for the next couple of thousand lightyears.

Sometimes I'm not willing to just take what iTunes gives me, though. When I take my FdL out for her first sortie (not counting the trip home from the system where I bought her, even though she's had her baptism of fire already due to an overly-eager pirate in an Imperial Courier), I already know what music I'm going to launch her to... "Battleship", from the Gradius V soundtrack.

Last edited:
Ok Folks.
I have this ready to record. Just need to wait a few hours before the studio is ready.
Nearby Construction, and Ship Traffic are causing havok with the ambient sound.

Another round of High Speed Mayhem from those menaces of the Space Lanes known as the Buckyball Racing Club was wrapped up over the weekend.
The Mischief Mile, paid homage to the daring exploits of The Fuel Rats

Racers were tasked to begin in Hooke Hub in Tepech and finish in Ocampo Station in the Mirateje System.​
Along the way participants had to pay a visit to Fuel Rat HQ based at Wollheim Vision in Fuelum, along with the systems NLTT 48288 and MCC 811.
Being the two most likely places Commanders find themselves stranded without fuel.

The Race could be run in reverse order starting in Ocampo Station, Mirateje and end at Hooke Hub, Tepech.
However the checkpoint requirements remained the same.

Given that the course for The Mischief Mile is of a short nature by Buckyballing standards, organisers added a Special rule to this races entry conditions.
No Fuel Scoop, and No Additional Fuel Tanks. With some ships even requiring a reduced fuel capacity.

This meant Racers had to negotiate a means to refuel mid race. Either by stopping by a nearby station. Or being refueled by a friend with Limpets.

Two classes of racing was on offer. A Fuel Rat Regulars Class for the ships most commonly used by the Fuel Rats in their Heroic efforts to save lives.
And a Fuel Rat Crazies Class for ships that generally are unfit for Fuel Rat Duties.
To further the Insanity. Racers had the option to collect a number of limpets and deliver them to Ocampo Station, Mirateje
Why? For the Fame, the Glory, Bragging Rights, and some one mentioned Snickers.

After the Dust, Fur, and Debris settles on the end of a weeks racing.
CMDR Cookiehole in the Annaconda 'Endurance' took Top Honors in the Fuel Rat Regulars Class setting a time of 15min 31sec.
Edging out CMDR Furrycat's Diamond Back Explorer 'King-Size Marathon' having posted 15min 49sec.
With CMDR Kliggson completing the top 3 in the Asp Explorer 'Grey Mullet' with 16min and 2sec.

The Fuel Rat Crazies Class had CMDR Timothy Knight in their Imperial Eagle 'Cortana' while carrying the added weight of 2 limpets, come in first place setting 30min 24sec as the time to beat.
CMDR Escapac in the Imperial Clipper 'Heridium' followed behind with 32min 50sec to make the journey.
and CMDR Alot rounding out the top 3 in the Orca 'Samborca' hauling 4 limpets, posting 43min 29sec.

A special mention goes out to CMDR Kronek. Entering into the Fuel Rat Regulars Class with a Lakon Type 9 named 'Tiny' you gloriously hauled an impressive 528 limpets over the course.
It may not have been fast, but it was true Buckyball fashion that you raced with Style.

The next Buckyball Racing event kicks off in a just few days.
Check out buckyballracing.org.uk for details.

This has been CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka in the Mirateje System, for Radio Sidewinder News.​

Last edited:
Ok Folks.
I have this ready to record. Just need to wait a few hours before the studio is ready.
Nearby Construction, and Ship Traffic are causing havok with the ambient sound.

Another round of High Speed Mayhem from those menaces of the Space Lanes known as the Buckyball Racing Club was wrapped up over the weekend.
The Mischief Mile, paid homage to the daring exploits of The Fuel Rats

Racers were tasked to begin in Hooke Hub in Tepech and finish in Ocampo Station in the Mirateje System.​
Along the way participants had to pay a visit to Fuel Rat HQ based at Wollheim Vision in Fuelum, along with the systems NLTT 48288 and MCC 811.
Being the two most likely places Commanders find themselves stranded without fuel.

The Race could be run in reverse order starting in Ocampo Station, Mirateje and end at Hooke Hub, Tepech.
However the checkpoint requirements remained the same.

Given that the course for The Mischief Mile is of a short nature by Buckyballing standards, organisers added a Special rule to this races entry conditions.
No Fuel Scoop, and No Additional Fuel Tanks. With some ships even requiring a reduced fuel capacity.

This meant Racers had to negotiate a means to refuel mid race. Either by stopping by a nearby station. Or being refueled by a friend with Limpets.

Two classes of racing was on offer. A Fuel Rat Regulars Class for the ships most commonly used by the Fuel Rats in their Heroic efforts to save lives.
And a Fuel Rat Crazies Class for ships that generally are unfit for Fuel Rat Duties.
To further the Insanity. Racers had the option to collect a number of limpets and deliver them to Ocampo Station, Mirateje
Why? For the Fame, the Glory, Bragging Rights, and some one mentioned Snickers.

After the Dust, Fur, and Debris settles on the end of a weeks racing.
CMDR Cookiehole in the Annaconda 'Endurance' took Top Honors in the Fuel Rat Regulars Class setting a time of 15min 31sec.
Edging out CMDR Furrycat's Diamond Back Explorer 'King-Size Marathon' having posted 15min 49sec.
With CMDR Kliggson completing the top 3 in the Asp Explorer 'Grey Mullet' with 16min and 2sec.

The Fuel Rat Crazies Class had CMDR Timothy Knight in their Imperial Eagle 'Cortana' while carrying the added weight of 2 limpets, come in first place setting 30min 24sec as the time to beat.
CMDR Escapac in the Imperial Clipper 'Heridium' followed behind with 32min 50sec to make the journey.
and CMDR Alot rounding out the top 3 in the Orca 'Samborca' hauling 4 limpets, posting 43min 29sec.

A special mention goes out to CMDR Kronek. Entering into the Fuel Rat Regulars Class with a Lakon Type 9 named 'Tiny' you gloriously hauled an impressive 528 limpets over the course.
It may not have been fast, but it was true Buckyball fashion that you raced with Style.

The next Buckyball Racing event kicks off in a just few days.
Check out buckyballracing.org.uk for details.

This has been CMDR Ceska Zbrojovka in the Mirateje System, for Radio Sidewinder News.​

Might I suggest some mention of CMDR Aitken and the epic five in-flight refuelings his Anaconda provided to make it possible for an Imperial Eagle to claim the top spot in the Crazies class? The way we won is probably more newsworthy than me actually winning is.

Might I suggest some mention of CMDR Aitken and the epic five in-flight refuelings his Anaconda provided to make it possible for an Imperial Eagle to claim the top spot in the Crazies class? The way we won is probably more newsworthy than me actually winning is.

I can do that!

CMDR Aitken.. Please let me know your Ships name, so your actions can be broadcasted.

Last edited:
I can do that!

CMDR Aitken.. Please let me know your Ships name, so your actions can be broadcasted.

Certainly when I was flying with him he was calling it the Fuelaconda, although that's possibly more of a functional nickname than an actual shipname. I reckon' if you're in a hurry to release your story he wouldn't object to Fuelaconda :)

Top Bottom