Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Race to the Poles - Polar Ship Fram Celebration. 14-22 July 3304

Alec's photo - [big grin]
Alec's leaderboard entry - [haha][haha]

Also, looks like that's a quite popular billboard:

13443580274_67216cd295_z.jpg

Now if only FD allowed me to name a ship "#Male gallinaceous# Of The Walk" [squeeeee]

Still the one good thing to come out of tonight, was this.

That was majestic. Also, a great planet skim!

Commander Aken B., the commander with the highest Buckyball participation (71 races!), flying his Orca "Italia", submitted a time of 31:38 after applying the Honour Bonus.

:eek:

That looked a suspiciously (or embarassing, depending on the point of view) high number, from a quick check I should have run in 39-40 races at best (still a high/embarassing number, depending on the point of view)...unless you counted participation in different classes of the same race?

Anyway, still better if my fiancee will never learn this. [where is it]

Midweek update: we just received two runs, in Unlimited Class...

RaXhPer.jpg

6JSvwgC.jpg

Commander Aken B., took his Orca "Italia" in a new expedition, his resulting time was 29:06, 2:31 minutes less than his previous run. This run was smooth and clean, pushing the blimp to the limits. This keeps Aken B. in 5th position, because he make a faster time than Cmdr Drakhyr, but somebody do a faster time than both of them...
Commander Alec Turner, today woke up VERY early in the morning and (after reading the rules) jumped into the cabin of the "Fandango Bananery" to make an impressive run. He made only 22:29, counting the bonus "Honor to the Explorer", placing himself in second place (for now). Then he proceeded to send his submission and prepared a pitcher full of Any Na Coffee; all of this before 6:30 AM (no 4H Guardian FSD Booster was used in the process). This makes two possible scenarios... Alec is an "early morning" guy... or Alec wife doesn't allow him to fly after 6:30AM.
The position switching started, and the leaderboard is moving...
The Cmdr Ikaru Sulu was seen at Archer Port staging his first Buckyball race, starting with the recognition of the track, and getting used with the mechanics of the race. We hope to see his submission in the near future.

o7 commanders

Last edited:
Ok ok wacky racer is back..Crimson Haybaler back in the fray as it is the only ship I possess that can scoop and jump at the same time.

Oh I actually went to all the right places this time so at least I have a time to post all being well.

Commander Alec Turner, today woke up VERY early in the morning and (after reading the rules) jumped into the cabin of the "Fandango Bananery" to make an impressive run. He made only 22:29, counting the bonus "Honor to the Explorer", placing himself in second place (for now). Then he proceeded to send his submission and prepared a pitcher full of Any Na Coffee; all of this before 6:30 AM (no 4H Guardian FSD Booster was used in the process). This makes two possible scenarios... Alec is an "early morning" guy... or Alec wife doesn't allow him to fly after 6:30AM.

I have to say I was rather pleased with that run! The second of the morning (yes, I play Elite VERY early), it was about 2 minutes faster than my first attempt, thanks mostly to swapping a planetary Amundsen for an outpost Amundsen ... all I can say is, thank god I didn't fly 4.5kly all the way to a Lagoon Sector Amundsen just to find that I could have done better by staying in the bubble. Boy would I have felt daft if I'd done that! ;) (sorry Bruski, couldn't resist it) And my day of pride continued because, after I downed my Any Na Coffee I drove to Southampton with the family to see my daughter get presented with her philosophy degree. Go girl! Dad's super proud of ya!

P.S. as to the reason I play so early, it started out as the latter and has conditioned me to become the former! :p

Last edited:
Daily update: two runs arrived, one for each class...

5S9qX7a.jpg

iXvsIkS.jpg

In the Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class, Making his fifth appearance in the a Buckyball race, Cmdr Sulu took his DBX "The Crimson Haybaler" to a hot tour of "scooping while charging" doing a commendable time of 37:46 for a fifth participation ;).
In the Fram DBX (Regulation) Class, Cmdr Ozric flew his regulated "Sphex pensylvanicus" on another round, making a very good 38:35 after the Honour Bonus (2:36 faster than his previous run), for a run with obscured targets, and some landing issues (HOTAS-Chair interfase?), so he has still time to potentially shave off.

o7 commanders

Last edited:
I'll make a run tonight in my Asp-X The Nomad.

As I can't guarantee having the time available for the run out to the Lagoon Sector, I'll make a couple of runs where I stay inside the bubble first of all. I might switch to a DBX if I have trouble docking at outposts. ;)

I do plan to make a neutron run as well, but it's not something I've done before and I want to "do it right!" lol

Engineering done, and the engineered DBX is definitely a better bet for a race like this. Even if it does mean getting frustrated as I get reminded of how long it takes for the DBX to scoop fuel - it's quite a change from the happily-guzzling T6!

I have to say I was rather pleased with that run! The second of the morning (yes, I play Elite VERY early), it was about 2 minutes faster than my first attempt, thanks mostly to swapping a planetary Amundsen for an outpost Amundsen ... all I can say is, thank god I didn't fly 4.5kly all the way to a Lagoon Sector Amundsen just to find that I could have done better by staying in the bubble. Boy would I have felt daft if I'd done that! ;) (sorry Bruski, couldn't resist it) And my day of pride continued because, after I downed my Any Na Coffee I drove to Southampton with the family to see my daughter get presented with her philosophy degree. Go girl! Dad's super proud of ya!

P.S. as to the reason I play so early, it started out as the latter and has conditioned me to become the former! :p

That's definitely something to be proud of! Oh yes, and also that degree thing. :rolleyes:
No but seriously :D, congratulations to your daughter, the start of a future career for her must feel like one of the heights of a parent career for you (and wife).

In the Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class, Making his first appearance in the a Buckyball race, Cmdr Sulu took his DBX "The Crimson Haybaler" to a hot tour of "scooping while charging" doing a commendable time of 37:46 for a first participation.

Sorry to play again the nit-picker part Inodoro :p, but to be honest to Sulu, even though he may not be a BRC maniacregular as me or others, I'm pretty sure he has had quite his share of Buckyball antics already. :D

Sorry to play again the nit-picker part Inodoro :p, but to be honest to Sulu, even though he may not be a BRC maniacregular as me or others, I'm pretty sure he has had quite his share of Buckyball antics already. :D

You're completely correct... this is Cmdr Ikaru Sulu's fifth race. Already corrected in the daily update... Thanks!

Two runs in Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class for the Friday update! (better do it early before getting intoxicated incapacitated)

qWD6pSa.jpg

UKjDvsZ.jpg

The action started in the evening; Cmdr Ikaru Sulu (5 races) switched to his "Sports Asp" (only the 1E Cargo Rack were not engineered...), and flew it to a new run, doing 34:22 after applying the Honour Bonus, improving 3:42 over his previous time. The submitted evidence shows his determination to destroy his ship hard-landing outside the assigned pad :x keep improving his times.
Cmdr Samwel Drakhyr finalized the engineering of his "Black Maria" DBX, and took it to a new run. The differences with the T-6 is quite noticeable, the sluggish scooping is clearly offset by the jump capacities of the controversial DBX; making an excellent time of 22:35, positioning him in the third place, only six seconds behind Cmdr Alec Turner. Drakhyr report that this was a "getting used to the DBX" run, and those seconds can be shaved with a more aggressive scooping/charging (but not letting the cargo hatch to get incontinent).

Breakfast today...
VjwURRx.jpg
My favorite coffee mug, from a visit (many years ago) to the Frammusset
[size=+1]Congrats to Commanders Alec Turner and Aken B for wining with their presentations to the [URL="https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=439748]Design A Holo-Screen Advert[/URL] contest![/size]

o7 commanders

Last edited:
Cmdr Samwel Drakhyr finalized the engineering of his "Black Maria" DBX, and took it to a new run. The differences with the T-6 is quite noticeable, the sluggish scooping is clearly offset by the jump capacities of the controversial DBX; making an excellent time of 22:35, positioning him in the third place, only six seconds behind Cmdr Alec Turner. Drakhyr report that this was a "getting used to the DBX" run, and those seconds can be shaved with a more aggressive scooping/charging (but not letting the cargo hatch to get incontinent).
Eeesh! That's close ... too close. :eek: Haven't had this quandry for a while ... what to do, push on with my regulation run or defend my 2nd place position in Unlimited?

Breackfast today...

LOL - awesome! [haha]

P.S. should probably change my DBX abbreviation in the scoreboard for consistency?

You could try for 1st place in unlimited

Ahhh, I see you've spotted that I've subconciously ruled out all hope of beating you at the neutron jump game. Yeah, I briefly considered it but frankly, if Bruski is struggling to master the art of the neutron highway then I seriously doubt I'd be able to do any better. If I had another week then maybe, but as it is I think I'll just focus on beating Ozric keeping in the top 3 of at least one of the leaderboards.

Top Bottom