Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Race to the Poles - Polar Ship Fram Celebration. 14-22 July 3304

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It might be controversial, but having flown it in anger a few times, I don't like the DBX. It's just not that good, not as agile as it should be for a small ship and the fuel scoop is a joke for a 5C fuel tank *whispers I think I prefer the DBS* ;)

I did 4 runs today, only the first and last were completed, the other 2 were aborted at the first planetary landing for messing up the OC, once after already having been interdicted just before I was about to enter it. I did manage to just get out of someone's way as I entered Archer Port to finish my race and someone was just leaving to start theirs.

[video=youtube_share;9jHlk6XKEUg]https://youtu.be/9jHlk6XKEUg[/video]

Last edited:
It might be controversial, but having flown it in anger a few times, I don't like the DBX. It's just not that good, not as agile as it should be for a small ship and the fuel scoop is a joke for a 5C fuel tank *whispers I think I prefer the DBS* ;)

I did 4 runs today, only the first and last were completed, the other 2 were aborted at the first planetary landing for messing up the OC, once after already having been interdicted just before I was about to enter it. I did manage to just get out of someone's way as I entered Archer Port to finish my race and someone was just leaving to start theirs.

I think that might have been me, I haven't completed another run yet

Heresy, HERESY!

I really have no problem with the agility, since it handles like a dream compared to the AspX and Conda, which are it's only long-ranged competition I think. The fuel scoop is indeed a royal pain, which I cannot dismiss.

Question for Inodoro Pereya: Can a racer only get the Honour the Explorer's bonus once per attempt? (e.g.: can you drop off 2t cargo at both sites and get 24 minutes?)

Question for Inodoro Pereya: Can a racer only get the Honour the Explorer's bonus once per attempt? (e.g.: can you drop off 2t cargo at both sites and get 24 minutes?)

I should say yes... Only one (of each) bonus per run, stacking the same bonus is not allowed (because it is in the rules, and this will break my cute auto-leaderboard spreadsheet).
Yes the fuel scoop is a s##t weakness.

I'll update the leaderboard later including Cmdrs Ozric and S. Drakhyr

Last edited:
Heresy, HERESY!

I really have no problem with the agility, since it handles like a dream compared to the AspX and Conda, which are it's only long-ranged competition I think. The fuel scoop is indeed a royal pain, which I cannot dismiss.
I'll definitely be flying The Nomad at this one, but I'm with Bruski here - as a regular Asp-X racer who switched to the DBX for the first time ever for Close Encounters - the DBX super-cruise manoeuvrability is magestic compared to the Asp-X.

The fuel scoop sucks though (well actually it doesn't - and that's the problem!), I've been flying around in my new DBX Darkside ever since Close Encounters, but I've not managed to master topping up, unmasking the next star and keeping the heat below 100% yet. It's faster than an Asp-X in an A* run though - in the right hands - so I guess others have mastered this. :D

I had a busy weekend, so no runs from me yet, but I scouted out the course a little on Friday evening and I should have time for a few runs before the end. :)

This is the first time I've ever took a look at Spansh as well. Congrats Inodoro for managing to put together a quick race with a real long-range element included. I definitely plan to make use Spansh for planning, as I hope to make a new A* run later in the year now that we've hopefully reached the final iteration of FSD-range-creep for a while. This'll be my first neutron-run practise as a racer.

Currently parked up at Archer in my ... drumroll ... DBX! [yesnod]

Scouting runs and some ADS work tomorrow, expecting to submit a run on Wednesday hopefully.

For today update we have tree more entries, including two in the regulation DBX...

8Cs9yvS.jpg

6JSvwgC.jpg

In the Extreme Explorer Class, Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr (just 53 races), made 42:04 with his Type-6 "Deep Blue Yonder" a time that after applying the Honour Bonus went to 30:04. Cmdr Drakhyr commented that he'll visit few engineers and will try a new ship in the coming days.
Two entries inaugurated the Fram DBX Class.
Commander Factabulous, in his first Buckyball race, flew his DBX "Framhein" (christened after the base camp of Amundsen in Antartica) in 44:36 (after Bonus), a very competitive time; he report struggling in some landings, but no canopy cleaning was required.
Cmdr Ozric, a regular Buckyballer (28 races), made 41:21 (Bonus included) in his regulation DBX "Sphex pensylvanicus" (named after a terran big wasp). He report a clean run, just having a near-miss, while landing back to Archer port, with other Cmdr .

o7 commanders

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Wow 28 races, though if you think I started back in Premium Beta with BBR 4 (or 6), I guess it doesn't seem that many ;)

That's great flying for your first attempt Factabulous, well done.

Crimsin Haybaler not up to the task. Sports Asp now matching the Baler but with a 6a scoop and boosts to near 600 m/s. This will be more suitable and its first time racing for it.

I bet this never happened to Scott or Amundsen!

DKfplnT.png

Nevertheless, first run submitted.

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Ship Type: DBX
Ship Name: Bananery Fandango
Mode: Open / Oh CRAP!

Hmmm, why would you need an outiffting screenshot for unlimited class?

Unless ... :eek:

cFkB0Aq.png

DOH! Yet again Cmdr Turner goes hairing off into the black without reading the rules. I did wonder why I was doing so well considering I got interdicted, tried to land facing the wrong way and had to deviate mid-route to find a refuelling star.

Hang on, my wife took a photo of me on our recent holiday which I think sums that up. Ah yes, here we go ...

5fAmRgz.jpg
I'll be back!

P.S. my adjusted time would have been 24:39. :(

jajaja... I was just about to send a PM... when I updated the tab with your post...
It's hard to comment on the picture...

Last edited:
Today we have tree more entries, in Unlimited Class...

WUNqGW0.jpg

6JSvwgC.jpg

Commander Aken B., the commander with the highest Buckyball participation (71 races!), flying his Orca "Italia", submitted a time of 31:38 after applying the Honour Bonus. The run was not as clean as desired due to a long glide when approaching Nansen Progress. He reported scraping his first run due to a cartography glitch.

Cmdr Bruski (70 races, the second highest participation), took the long run going for both bonuses in his DBX "Razor Bear"... taking 2:15:06 to return to Archer Port (Travel Time). His final time settled in 23:06 minutes. He took the neutron highway in "race & learn" mode, so he learn some lessons... paid in valuable seconds.

Commander Alec Turner, a quite experienced Buckyballer (mere 65 races), jumped in the cockpit of his well engineered DBX "Bananery Fandango" a little distracted... in "I need to Buckyball now, read the rules can wait" mode. He was doing quite a good run, even after quite some inconveniences. Sadly he forgot to drop his 4H Guardian FSD Booster (that add 9.3ly to the range of his ship) in Archer Port... rendering his first run void.

o7 commanders

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
RARRRRRRRRR!

It's been one of those evenings ;)

I tried 2 runs today. The first one ended in disaster as en route to Polaris Australis I got a bit too aggressive with the fuel scooping and my cargo hatch malfunctioned, jettisoning the survival equipment and medical supplies I had on board :( It was a double shame as I had also performed an amazing SC approach + Docking at Andmunsen Vision. I was determined however and went back for a second run.

This run included the longest glide I have ever experienced! I dropped from OC at far too shallow an angle at 184Km from the base, the glide itself took 1 minute 8 seconds :eek: and dropped me 17Km away from the station :mad: Somehow despite that (and a few other mistakes) I still managed to clock a faster time than my submitted run... Or did I..?

No, I forgot to sell the survival equipment and medical supplies, even though I landed at the station!

Still the one good thing to come out of tonight, was this.
[video=youtube_share;FUTuMB5oW_4]https://youtu.be/FUTuMB5oW_4[/video]

Top Bottom