Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Race to the Poles - Polar Ship Fram Celebration. 14-22 July 3304

Eeesh! That's close ... too close. :eek: Haven't had this quandry for a while ... what to do, push on with my regulation run or defend my 2nd place position in Unlimited?

If it helps with your planning at all, I will admit that I have spent some time today playing with Spansh.

If it helps with your planning at all, I will admit that I have spent some time today playing with Spansh.
My plans have been set back by being a little ill the last couple of days, but The Nomad is parked at the starting line - as well as my DBX for backup, 2 tons of survival gear in the hold and a short range route planned.

I'll be spending some time messing with spansh and the Galmap before the end. :)

The history behind this was great, as well as pointing out the sites in ED that are named after the explorers. Of note, the next time the South Pole was reached was 40+ years later.

The two teams planned, trained and ran their expeditions quite differently, with starkly different outcomes. Thus the expeditions are often used as a cautionary or motivational tale about preparation, focus, and management styles.

Curious if any Commanders ran out of fuel or perished in this Buckyball Run?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The history behind this was great, as well as pointing out the sites in ED that are named after the explorers. Of note, the next time the South Pole was reached was 40+ years later.

The two teams planned, trained and ran their expeditions quite differently, with starkly different outcomes. Thus the expeditions are often used as a cautionary or motivational tale about preparation, focus, and management styles.

Buckyballers don't run out of fuel on races, even if we finish the races sometimes with our main fuel tanks empty!

We do, however, perish on a regular basis [haha]

Hi Hydrino! Welcome!
There is plenty of stations named after this (and others) explorers (or scientifics with the same name..), but there is no in-game reference (save of the HMS Beagle, that came from the community) to the great ships/airships like the Fram, or the Terra Nova (Scott expedition) or the Victoria (under S. El Cano, the first ship to circumnavigate the earth)... the list is obviously long, and as this is a "ships" game... hopefully Frontier will be use this names for future in-game assets....

I'm pleased to report that I have now completed my first ever neutron superhighway trip, to the Lagoon Sector and back. The trip does show up the range of neutron stars out there, from the slow, short and wispy cone, to the next neutron star along the route which is spinning extremely fast (to the extent it you feel it ought to have an epilepsy warning!). I'll try to get pictures on a future run so those who aren't heading that way can see what I mean.

Overall it's a nice improvement on my time, with some room for doing better, though I'm not sure I'll be able to challenge Crotalus for the top spot.

And hello to Cmdr Bruski who I passed at a neutron star on my way back :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The trip does show up the range of neutron stars out there, from the slow, short and wispy cone, to the next neutron star along the route which is spinning extremely fast (to the extent it you feel it ought to have an epilepsy warning!). I'll try to get pictures on a future run so those who aren't heading that way can see what I mean.

Hehe, I definitely know what you mean about the epilepsy warning! I've just come back from a ~100 Kylies trip and the variety I saw on my was was huge. I think it's a really good thing FD did there (and to be fair is probably pretty close to what you would expect in real space I imagine), because it means that they all require different tactics in order to use the efficiently. I have many pictures of Neutron stars :p but I don't want to bore you with them all [haha]

uV8WhB7h.jpg

RHwPyikh.jpg

And hello to Cmdr Bruski who I passed at a neutron star on my way back :)[/QUOTE]

Ha! Love it [up]

Saturday Morning update... Two runs in the Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class, one new and one re-entry.

EFtylsu.jpg

6BSftBZ.jpg

After Thursday's warming-up run and picking one more required modules, Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr went for both bonuses, took his DBX "Black Maria" the long run on the Neutron Highway. He managed to make, even after an emergency stop and two obscured targets, a very good fly time of 2:00:05, that after the bonuses becomes 8:05! This put him in the second position.
In his 46th participation in a Buckyball race, Cmdr Stern Winter, flew his Asp Explorer "Polar Express" in a morning run, making 27:57 after the "mandatory" Honour Bonus. He was careful to limit very hot jumping to not provoke the Cargo Hatch to fail, but he report losing valuable seconds slamming in the orbital cruise zone when approaching Scott Orbital.

o7 commanders

Saturday Evening update!... Two re-runs in the Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class, and one in Fram DBX (Regulation).

57ApAT3.jpg

jD1eB1q.jpg

While the race marshal were drooling-over pet's GIF's in imgur, the hard core buckyballers were focused on the duty.
The leaderboard got more interesting when Cmdr Crotalus placed another impressive run, making the time go back... doing a fly time of 1:51:24, that after both bonuses becomes [size=+1]-0:00:36[/size].
Less than 3hs later Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr going again for both bonuses, managed to make, another impressive fly time of 1:53:04, that after the bonuses becomes [size=+1]0:01:04[/size]! This is 7:01 faster than his morning run.
In Fram DBX (Regulation), Cmdr Ozric keep improving his time to [size=+1]37:22[/size], 1:13 faster than before.

o7 commanders

Last edited:
Had a blast this week guys but my reaction speeds are seriously out now so bowing out. I did finally hit a thirty minute but as it would not seriously change anything have left it there.

Oh one other thing......YOU ARE ALL INSANE!!!

See you out there

Great to hear you enjoyed racing with us, you are now officially a member of the Buckyball Racing Club so hope to see you back in future races. You ought to submit that final run don't you think? even if it beats nobody other than yourself. The scoreboards are preserved for posterity on our website so it'd be good to get your best time recorded!

And yes, I suspect your diagnosis is correct ... we're all quite bonkers! [wacko]

For myself, despite taking a serious look at the spansh neutron plotter this morning and thinking I might give it a shot after all, it's currently looking like I might not actually manage to get another run in at all this weekend now. :(

(is that the sound of Ozric breathing a sigh of relief that I can hear?)

o7

I was really ill on Friday night and this morning, so might not manage to participate.

I've been feeling much better this evening though and decided to have a relaxing watching TV with my wife and kids, rather than hurling myself at neutron stars for two hours. All being well I'll be feeling up to making a run tomorrow, this race is terrific Inodoro and I really hope I make it.

Sunday early update

P2gcSh0.jpg

zAMNajJ.jpg

Instead of falling to Buckyballer Saturdays tradition of dropping by the "Shotgun Shine" early and thirsty, Cmdr Darplata94, a well known A* Challenge Buckyballer (hard to quantify how many times he was in A*...), flew his carefully engineered DBX "Rolled Gold" in the long loop, taking both bonuses. It was a clean run, but he forgot to do full repairs in Amundsen and need to make the leg back to the bubble with the FSD already half toasted; this was not a big problem for such experienced deep space pilot, because he managed a final time of 0:10:48, positioning him in third place (... for now). Eventually he turned up at the Shotgun Shine, a little bit late.

o7 commanders

Sunday early update

Instead of falling to Buckyballer Saturdays tradition of dropping by the "Shotgun Shine" early and thirsty, Cmdr Darplata94, a well known A* Challenge Buckyballer (hard to quantify how many times he was in A*...), flew his carefully engineered DBX "Rolled Gold" in the long loop, taking both bonuses. It was a clean run, but he forgot to do full repairs in Amundsen and need to make the leg back to the bubble with the FSD already half toasted; this was not a big problem for such experienced deep space pilot, because he managed a final time of 0:10:48, positioning him in third place (... for now). Eventually he turned up at the Shotgun Shine, a little bit late.

o7 commanders

Curses! Bye bye podium. Clearly a Lagoon Sector Neutron run is the way to go for an Extreme Explorer medal. Well played Darplata94! I shall content myself with the fastest non-GE bonus run (for now). Heading off to a family BBQ in a minute so I'll almost certainly be leaving Ozric in peace over in Fram DBX class too which means alas the Terra Nova will probably not now get a scoreboard entry after all.

It seems a pity, but I do not think I can race more.

This has been a nice race Inodoro, thanks for organising and, as ever, I just wish I had more time to run it.

P.S. Hope you're recovered enough to make a run today Raiko!

o7

Sunday midday update...

thXDdHb.jpg

zAMNajJ.jpg

Cmdr Darplata94, flew again his DBX "Rolled Gold" in the long loop, again taking both bonuses. It was a clean run, he do a final time of [size=+1]0:00:24[/size]; improving 10:24min, he's now in second place (... for now!).

o7 commanders

Last edited:
I tried a run switching to the AspX, and I think it would've done better (as mentioned before, it scoops SO much faster than the DBX) if I hadn't been interrupted by two children during the race, and then 2/3rds of the way through, my internet dying for 5 hours. :(

That was Friday, I spent most of Saturday doing calculations.

Top Bottom