Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents :- 'The Wasat Cup' Buggyball (23rd-25thFeb)

Yeah, but it will only dock if you dismissed it from the other base. There's something weird going on in the code with assumptions about there only being 1 base per instance, so is taking shortcuts with targeting that mess things up.

My recommendation is that when you are at the halfway point of your run, dismiss your ship. Then when you get within 5 km of Ferguson, target Ferguson and request docking. Once your ship is docked, target your ship from the Contact list and that will lead you directly to your pad.
that's good safety advice.. ive done it without dismissing the ship.. as the dismiss option wasn't there when I was past 10km out. but you can call it to you and then dismiss it..
Alec is the only one of us to report the teleport issue on entering your ship.. where he ends up in behring point after entering at ferg.
I usually only end up at behring if I log out of dock at ferg or elwood. or the buggy blows up. I
seem to be the only one getting weird magical bollards appearing when I have to deal with redocking requests.
bollards.jpg
this has been bug reported to Fdev.. but the more that report the bug the better.
a lot of my early mistakes.. I thought were just asking for permission at the wrong base.. but no.. its pretty buggy in the buggyball. be careful.

if your ship goes to another dock.. you can still save the run.. maybe ...cancel docking from the base the ship went to.. ( if its 50 km away its at elwood.. if its 200km plus its behring. )then lock ferg.. then request again at ferg.. if you are still 3km out .. it should dock at ferg.

I'll be challenging you on that !
Formal Intent to Race :
CMDR Kerenn of the SRV "Scarab has no Gravitas to it"
Hi Kerenn , nice to see you.. and your crazily named buggy. ill put you up on the start grid
Raiko, AkenB.. if you want to edit your posts ill check them to see if you've come up with a buggy name, or make a new post whatever.. but ill hold off on putting you on the start grid till then.

Last edited:
Is there a risk dismissing the ship immediately as you drive away?

Sorry I know that Robin's made several posts about this, I need to get playing instead of checking through different threads. :)
You actually can't dismiss your ship from a dock until you get past a certain distance. I don't know the exact number, but it's a least a couple of km away.

that's good safety advice.. ive done it without dismissing the ship.. as the dismiss option wasn't there when I was past 10km out. but you can call it to you and then dismiss it..
Ah, maybe it despawns from the dock after a certain distance. So then the advice would be, dismiss the ship as soon as possible.

Alec is the only one of us to report the teleport issue on entering your ship.. where he ends up in behring point after entering at ferg.
I usually only end up at behring if I log out of dock at ferg or elwood. or the buggy blows up.
I experienced it when I did my one trial run awhile ago. I'd left my ship at Elwood and requested docking at Ferguson within 5km. I got assigned a dock, but the ship stayed at Elwood, and that's where I ended up when I boarded.

I seem to be the only one getting weird magical bollards appearing when I have to deal with redocking requests.
http://www.3drjb.com/bbra/bollards.jpg
I doubt that has anything to do with docking. The whole planet-rendering pipeline seems to be buggy with floating-point errors; I get that when just driving and flying around. I get it a lot if I log out while parked on a planet, so I don't do that anymore.

this has been bug reported to Fdev.. but the more that report the bug the better.
a lot of my early mistakes.. I thought were just asking for permission at the wrong base.. but no.. its pretty buggy in the buggyball. be careful.
Truth.

I doubt that has anything to do with docking. The whole planet-rendering pipeline seems to be buggy with floating-point errors; I get that when just driving and flying around. I get it a lot if I log out while parked on a planet, so I don't do that anymore.
I only have bollards appear when ive cancelled a landing from a dock that's not within range, then re requested docking permission .. each docking request spawns a set of bollards.
so for me I don't know what else I can associate them with. if you are getting bollards just driving about.. that is crazy.

Last edited:
Intent to race :)

racer1/CMDR Heat Shield in "The Beetle"

Think I forgot to dismiss my ship on my practice and when I remembered it was not an option. It was waiting for me at the other end after I requested docking.

I did a quick scouting run since I got a bit of time...running and jumping from mound to mound, when I hear a distinct whining noise immediately followed by a high speed low pass from CMDR Heat Shield in his Cobra...thanks a lot for passing by and giving a salute! ;)

Sadly, less than a minute later, for some obscure reason a small bump against the nth little mound brought my scarab from a 66% hull to a sudden loosely scattered around hull...there must be still some little bug here and there...
Anyway, what a hell of a fun it was. :D

Now I'm REALLY hoping to have another couple of hours available before the 25th...

Last edited:
5 minutes til the opening flag. The sun is getting ready to set.

Seneh is at the start location, waiting to go. I've got time for 1 run, then have to disappear for several hours.

Good luck, everyone.

o7

5 minutes til the opening flag. The sun is getting ready to set.

Seneh is at the start location, waiting to go. I've got time for 1 run, then have to disappear for several hours.

Good luck, everyone.

o7
...and don't fall through the planet like I did. :(

I'll have to try again later.

Intent to race :) racer1/CMDR Heat Shield in "The Beetle"
Think I forgot to dismiss my ship on my practice and when I remembered it was not an option. It was waiting for me at the other end after I requested docking.

Cool, that's how it should be. fingers crossed you don't get the weirdness the rest of us have been getting. Ill stick you up on the starting grid

Sadly, less than a minute later, for some obscure reason a small bump against the nth little mound brought my scarab from a 66% hull to a sudden loosely scattered around hull...there must be still some little bug here and there...
Sorry to hear that aken you can still lose a lot by hitting an object.. like a bigger than normal rock.. going at speed.

Hey, anyone know how to work out what time itll be day or night on the course during the event. I cant work out if its a 8hr , 12hr or 6hr rotation or something completely different.
A2 is 1.4 Day rotational , A2E is tidally locked with a 2.3 day rotational. it just got dark

Last edited:
Count me in
Cmdr Name : Vindicator Jones
Buggy name : Vindicators Violator (yes its as pervy as it sounds, I have 2 canisters of lubricant on board at my disposal)

Hi VJ, I've put you on the start grid, ive got to go to sleep now otherwise id be on the course.
pretty sure some of the other guys will be up for a race together some time over the next few days.

Just completed my day #1 runs. Pretty annoyingly my early morning GMT gaming slot has moved into Wasat A2 E night time so driving conditions less than ideal. Mud on the road? No idea, can't see a damn thing. Am I falling into a massive crater? BANG! Yes, apparently I was.

Anyway, managed to get a half decent run in although I had my usual thing where my second screenshot ended up being somewhere else (back at Elwood this time) even tho I drove into my garage at Fergusson. Seeing as how two screenshots both from Elwood might look a tad suspect to the judges I'm submitting the last minute or so of my video evidence now (also note the advanced parking bay braking technique where I skim past the wrong bay initially in order to shed some of the HUGE amounts of speed I've built up). :D

[video=youtube_share;QRfR2P6Mhps]https://youtu.be/QRfR2P6Mhps[/video]

Last edited:
I did a quick scouting run since I got a bit of time...running and jumping from mound to mound, when I hear a distinct whining noise immediately followed by a high speed low pass from CMDR Heat Shield in his Cobra...thanks a lot for passing by and giving a salute! ;)

Anyway, what a hell of a fun it was. :D

Now I'm REALLY hoping to have another couple of hours available before the 25th...

My pleasure :) Sorry about the SRV loss, I waited above the outpost to see you in but noticed you didn't seem to come in - was worried I'd made my pass too low!!

Interesting thing I didn't know who it was I did the flyby of because I couldn't target you from my ship.

Last edited:
Count me in
Hi VJ, nice to see you at a BRC event, I was enjoying watching your ground assault tutorials during my lunch-break just yesterday. :)

Interesting thing I didn't know who it was I did the flyby of because I couldn't target you from my ship.
Wow! That's a Horizons feature that's actually working as designed. :eek:

DB or MB mentioned during the Horizons previews that SRVs wouldn't be targetable from ships to make it harder to just snipe everybody's SRV from the air. Although I suspect that VJ's Fed Gunship dumb-fire salvos would make quite a mess of an SRV! ;)

Buggies SRVs are small and don't run a lot of equipment. Therefore they have a low heat signature and are difficult to target. If you fly close enough you can get a lock.

But yes, working as intended. It's supposed to be hard - but not impossible - to target them.

Pretty close indeed, if I jumped at the right time you almost could have taken me on board. :D

My first planned time window to have a go at this has just been shattered by the usual RL shenanigans, but whatever, one way or another I'll have something done before Thursday.

CMDR Aken B.
SRV name: The Tumbling Initiative #2

In loving memory of The Tumbling Initiative, lost yesterday to the God of Improbable Collisions. :rolleyes:

First Couple of entries are in so ill put up the leader board..

buggyball1_leaderb.jpg

The Teleporting craziness of Alec Turners 'Eat my Rubber' takes the first top slot on the board. where could he be.. my moneys on Behring Point. ;)
Followed by 'Spice Runner' Seneh's metaphysical planet falling jalopy.
I look forward to receiving more entries.

Any idea what to call your buggy yet Raiko?.. Hot metal love truncheon? Speed devil 3000? the possibility's are endless. ;)
even though im not in the mix.. if anyone wants a race today.. and they see me in game. let me know.
I think VJ wants to race with a few of us.. but being in OZ the timezones could be tricky to coordinate.

AkenB cool, Ill put you on the starty grid.

Last edited:
First Couple of entries are in so ill put up the leader board..

http://www.3drjb.com/bbra/buggyball1_leaderb.jpg

The Teleporting craziness of Alec Turners 'Eat my Rubber' takes the first top slot on the board. where could he be.. my moneys on Behring Point. ;)
Followed by 'Spice Runner' Seneh's metaphysical planet falling jalopy.
I look forward to receiving more entries.

Any idea what to call your buggy yet Raiko?.. Hot metal love truncheon? Speed devil 3000? the possibility's are endless. ;)
even though im not in the mix.. if anyone wants a race today.. and they see me in game. let me know.
I think VJ wants to race with a few of us.. but being in OZ the timezones could be tricky to coordinate.

AkenB cool, Ill put you on the starty grid.

Its ok, I am probably going to do this in 10 mins, or leave it for the morning. Maybe its better I make a fool of myself on my own for my first time XD

Top Bottom