Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents :- 'The Wasat Cup' Buggyball (23rd-25thFeb)

Its ok, I am probably going to do this in 10 mins, or leave it for the morning. Maybe its better I make a fool of myself on my own for my first time XD

Hi VJ, well I was just about to come into game to join you.. but a client is on at me about something I did weeks ago.. so I need to fix that. ;(
EDIT:- well im in game.. 14.30 may have missed you.. sent you a friend request.. cant see any beams of light on the course.
we can try and meet up same time tomorrow.. say 1-2pm GMT?

Last edited:
Hi VJ, well I was just about to come into game to join you.. but a client is on at me about something I did weeks ago.. so I need to fix that. ;(

Holy poop on a stick... I just did it, that is a LOT harder than I thought it would be. Those craters that catch you by surprise as you launch off the sides... I'm gonna have to use the censor beep quite a lot I think.. lol...

I did have to use synthesis though.. which I wasnt happy about, but the first crater did a lot of damage....

I think I did ok, but I am sure I will come in last.. lol

Was an absolute hoot though! I think it would be a lot easier in daylight rather than pitch black, it was terrifying!

Was an absolute hoot though! I think it would be a lot easier in daylight rather than pitch black, it was terrifying!
Cool chatting to you in game VJ, without the repair.. youd have just placed above Alec. as is.. your currently 2nd , pushing Seneh to 3rd.

Last edited:
Could people post here saying what time of day they played (in-game/GMT) and whether their run was in the dark or in daylight.

Just trying to get a handle on the orbit of this sucker (although the race will probably be over before I've figured it out).

23/2/2016 5:30am-7:00am GMT - DARK

Could people post here saying what time of day they played (in-game/GMT) and whether their run was in the dark or in daylight.

Just trying to get a handle on the orbit of this sucker (although the race will probably be over before I've figured it out).

23/2/2016 5:30am-7:00am GMT - DARK

I think it got dark.. midnight when the race started.. the star is what could be half way.. under me.. atm im sitting on A2 E.. possibly its a day long rotation.. so .. It should be light again errr... at midnight.. definitely later on? im guessing of course. ;) in sys map it says tidally locked .. 2.3 day rotation. so is that 28hrs of darkness followed by another of daylight? by that itll be light again 7am ish weds.. till the Thursday.. or would it ;) that relys on the bases being equatorial.. im not sure how to calculate inclination into the mix.

Last edited:
Holy poop on a stick... I just did it, that is a LOT harder than I thought it would be. Those craters that catch you by surprise as you launch off the sides... I'm gonna have to use the censor beep quite a lot I think.. lol...
It a seriously tough race actually - I was not kidding about those powerboat/mogul analogies. And in the dark? HARDCORE!

I did have to use synthesis though.. which I wasnt happy about, but the first crater did a lot of damage....
For what it's worth it is possible to go around that first big crater,
I won't spoil your route plotting fun by giving away the required heading and distance tho. :D

Oh, and has kligg appears to have figured out .. I'm not repairing. Win It or Bin It baby!

It is a LOT easier! Depending on orbital periods (see my previous post) I may have to forego an evening with my wife biatching about the crap they're coming up with on The Grand Interior Design Challenge and attempt an after-work run.

Last edited:
looking at your vid where you went into the wrong hanger Alec.. I noticed your radar was at minimum.. but i couldnt see your ships hollow square on the radar at pad 6.. but.. you seemed to know where pad 6 was and the board ship indicator came up..
ive not been brave enough to enter a landing bay when my ship wasn't on the radar at the pad the docking permission said it was at.. I cancel and try and get the ship to come to ferg. but it appears.. you can just dock at what pad it says without your ship being there and you then teleport .

[video=youtube_share;4yA62M95a3w]https://youtu.be/4yA62M95a3w[/video]
in this vid.. I cancel the dock cause the ship went to Behring.. theres a lot of me going.. no.. why???... what the.. .. huh.. you cant hear.. and it cost me a minute of faffing. but I still don't know the pads very well.. so knowing my luck.. id be wasting a lot of time trying to find the pad as its not illuminated.. when your ship is at another base.

Last edited:
Hoping to have time for a run tonight. :) How far is Wasat from Uibuth? And is it a big disadvantage to use the large pads? I'm currently docked in a Type-9, that least Buckyball of ships! :D

Any idea what to call your buggy yet Raiko?
Bandit-One

I think I did ok, but I am sure I will come in last.. lol

The fact that you've completed the course (in the dark!!) and in a reasonable time from the sounds of things gives me a little more hope. My SRV driving is a little worse than your's in your ground assault tutorial! ;)

And is it a big disadvantage to use the large pads? I'm currently docked in a Type-9, that least Buckyball of ships! :D

upon reaching Ferguson.. the big pads are all at the back.. at elwood.. they are spread.. I think one big pad is the closest to the direction you will be heading.. if you can get that.
I think med pad 8 to med pad 5 may be the shortest course by a hundred meters.. though don't quote me on that.. the small pads are closer when you reach ferg.. and pad 1 small at elwood is a good one to go from .. maybe that's the closest route.. small pad 1 to small 4.
its much of a much ness really.. unless you are unlucky and get the furthest away pads. its totally possible to hover over elwood and ferguson.. and plan which one would be best. to start / finish at.. you can fly the course in 3 or 4 mins.
thanks for the buggy name.. ill update the start grid with it.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220185
maybe outpost 4 is elwood, 2 is ferguson.. on these map guides ...kind of ;) so big pad 12 elwood to big pad 8 ferg ?

Last edited:
Think it's about 250ly from Uibuth IIRC, I came via Diaguandri which is slightly off direct route.

Just done a couple of runs 1800 GMT it was dark!

First run I was teleported to ferguson on completion but I messed up docking, recalled my ship by accident and then was only 3km away when I requested docking.

Second run requested docking at 6.5km and all was well, I could see my ship "arrive".

Missed the first big crater first run but found it second and was 300m in the air lol and lost 55% hull on landing - still made it with 17% hull and no repairs.

looking at your vid where you went into the wrong hanger Alec.. I noticed your radar was at minimum.. but i couldnt see your ships hollow square on the radar at pad 6.. but.. you seemed to know where pad 6 was and the board ship indicator came up..

To be honest I haven't bothered with dismissing my ship at all. When I'm under 7k from ferguson I request docking permission and just follow the compass (actually I know where the pads are now anyway). Sometimes I see my ship on radar and sometimes I don't. The problem with dismissing the ship (and indeed with cancelling and re-requesting docking permission to get a better pad assignment) is that you have to take your eye off the "road" for a second and personally I'm finding that that can be disastrous! Oh, and if you see me racing and send me an in-game message, don't expect a reply (much as I'd love to) for about 3? minutes. :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Rotational period is 1.7 days so should be light for tomorrows efforts.

I don't know if it's that simple, is that a rotational period around the light source or around the body it's orbiting?

I don't know if it's that simple, is that a rotational period around the light source or around the body it's orbiting?

It rotates every 1.7 days so I don't see how it can't be that simple ;) It's tidally locked so I guess there is a risk it will be in eclipse by its partner and/or parent planet.

I think rotation is just the planet spinning anything else is orbital. Orbital period is 1.3 days, I guess that is around its partner as that would be pretty fast for orbiting the parent planet.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I actually managed to survive my first run :) I got a bit lost coming out of the first starport and then entered the wrong hangar at the end, but I'm pretty please with that for a first attempt. However I just just looked at the screenshots and noticed that I too have been teleported, back to Elwood Camp... Anyone have the link to that bug report ;)

Originally I had planned to go around the first crater but as it was dark (7:30pm GMT) I came across it before I realised, it wasn't actually as bad as it could have been though.

To be honest I haven't bothered with dismissing my ship at all. When I'm under 7k from ferguson I request docking permission and just follow the compass (actually I know where the pads are now anyway). Sometimes I see my ship on radar and sometimes I don't. The problem with dismissing the ship (and indeed with cancelling and re-requesting docking permission to get a better pad assignment) is that you have to take your eye off the "road" for a second and personally I'm finding that that can be disastrous!

Yeah I did the same, I forgot to dismiss it after leaving because I was paying far too much attention to the road! I thought I'd found the correct pad, but I chose the wrong one of the 2 near each other first off.

It rotates every 1.7 days so I don't see how it can't be that simple ;) It's tidally locked so I guess there is a risk it will be in eclipse by its partner and/or parent planet.

I think rotation is just the planet spinning anything else is orbital. Orbital period is 1.3 days, I guess that is around its partner as that would be pretty fast for orbiting the parent planet.

I think it is a bit more complicated :) as like you said the orbit period will be for the barycentre with it's partner, but because they are still in the gravitational field of the Wasat A 2 (I believe) that they still technically orbit that too. Then you have the rotational period as well as the orbital inclanition to take into consideration :D I think that it might be easier as the second star is only 8k Ls away from the main, but I'm almost certain that FD haven't implemented mutilple light sources yet. There are people who could probably work out exactly when the day/night times would be, but I'm not one of them :D

Hopefully it will be light tomorrow night though as it's quite scary in the dark, especially when you flip your buggy over and realise you're falling down a crater, backwards, with no hope of seeing where you're going to land...

I have no idea how I managed to land so smoothly
[video=youtube_share;XqIaIsE47ro]https://youtu.be/XqIaIsE47ro[/video]

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be light tomorrow night though as it's quite scary in the dark, especially when you flip your buggy over and realise you're falling down a crater, backwards, with no hope of seeing where you're going to land...
I have no idea how I managed to land so smoothly
Zoom out your radar and you can see the craters coming. ;)
Ive updated the leader board

buggyball1_leaderb.jpg

Racer1 in his Buggy 'The Beetle' has taken the top slot, followed by 'Little blue dune buggy' Ozrics scared of the dark.. so look for improvements when the day comes back to A2 E.
Vindicator Jones squeezes in between 'Eat my Rubber' and 'Spice Runner' with the lubed up 'Vindicators Violator'
Still waiting to see the 'Catmobile' toy with the course and I saw a CMDR Tankman at Elwood I think he was a jumper at monolith.. hopefully he'll join us.

Missed the first big crater first run but found it second and was 300m in the air lol and lost 55% hull on landing - still made it with 17% hull and no repairs.

All the way from the first big crater to Ferguson, in the dark, on 55%! R.E.S.P.E.C.T. (especially having seen the latest board update). Game On. :D

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Hmmm I logged out to the main menu after the last run and the teleportation back to Elwood, thinking I was actually lucky I didn't have to fly back there. Logged in and I'm at Ferguson :(

Zoom out your radar and you can see the craters coming. ;)

That would involve looking at somewhere other than the ground falling away in front of me :)

Last edited:
All the way from the first big crater to Ferguson, in the dark, on 55%! R.E.S.P.E.C.T. (especially having seen the latest board update). Game On. :D

Thankyou lol. I seem to find that the first half is much harder on my SRV than the second or maybe I get into the feel of it a bit more lol.

I'm being teleported back to Elwood more often than not.

Top Bottom