Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Tunnel Vision (25.02.3303 - 06.03.3303)

eivwBbt.png

WWlVQYd.png

The race

This race requires you to take off from Leopold Heckmann Ring in Malaikudi, buzz the nearby Imperial capital ship dock, visit three separate scientific/military installations at San Tu 4C, Izanagi A1 and LFT 1748 A2 (in whatever order seems best), fly to Evans Port in Parutis, buzz its Federal capital ship dock and then land.

At each of the three installations you are required to fly through at least one of the tunnels (flying through tunnels earns you a time bonus which is weighted according to the size of ship you're flying). You can optionally fly through up to 3 further tunnels per location to earn extra time bonuses.

Any type of tunnel will do as long as it has an entrance and an exit (flying into and then reversing back out of a blocked tunnel doesn't really count). You are permitted to fly through the same tunnel more than once, you can even pull a 180, reverse your momentum and fly straight back through the tunnel you just came out of (although this might not always be the fastest nor most satisfying route to take).

The race starts at 00:00 on Saturday 25th February 3303 and runs until midnight on Monday 6th March 3303 (in-game). You can run as many times as you like and submit as many race entries as you like (although the scoreboard will only show your best time).

Tunnel bonuses

You will earn a time bonus for your run based on a combination of ship mass (the MLF value taken from Coriolis) and the number of tunnels you fly through. This bonus will be subtracted from your elapsed race time to produce your final race time.

The bonus (in seconds) is calculated as (0.75 x MLF) per tunnel (including the compulsory first one) plus additional 5, 10 and 15 second bonuses for tackling the optional 2nd, 3rd and 4th tunnels.

Examples ..

A Python (MLF = 17) completes the course in 30m, managing all 4 tunnels at 2 of the sites but just 2 tunnels at the other (a total of 10 tunnels).
It's bonus is (0.75 x 17 x 10) + (5 + 10 + 15) + (5 + 10 + 15) + (5) = 192.5s.
It's final time will be 26m47s.

An Imperial Courier (MLF = 7) completes the course in 29m, managing all 4 tunnels at all 4 sites (a total of 12 tunnels).
It's bonus is (0.75 x 7 x 12) + (5 + 10 + 15) + (5 + 10 + 15) + (5 + 10 + 15) = 153s.
It's final time will be 26m27s.
I'm not a mathematician, what the hell does all that mean?

Basically I've tried (quite hard) to weight the results so that there's a decent (but not unbeatable) benefit to steering a larger ship through the tunnels should you be bold enough to try it. I honestly don't know if the really large ships will even fit (although I have a hunch :p) but I've done a fair bit of testing with the Python vs. the iCourier and I'll just say that it's conceivable that a ship like the former could even win this race (for the first time in Buckyball history I think).

Your race submission

Your race submission will need a pre-launch screenshot at Leopold Heckmann Ring (clearly showing the station clock), a post-landing screenshot at Evans port (again showing the station clock), two capital ship dock screenshots, plus screenshots taken inside each tunnel clearly showing the tunnel exit plus the HUD clock (top right), the system name (bottom left) and a positive forward speed.

This is what your capital ship dock screenshots should look like ..

NFsropt.png

DSkFa99.png

Fly through any of the sections circled in red!
And this is what your tunnel screenshots should look like ...

n.b. the red circles are for illustration only, you do not need to circle your own images.

EMyVaRp.png

Note: the following is not valid since it does not show the exit.

q3C6K8c.png
If you successfully navigate four tunnels at each site then there should be 16 screenshots in total. Gosh, sorry ... that's a lot. If you prefer you can submit video evidence of your run. It might be a good idea to video your run anyway so you can grab any missing screenhots from the video (nothing worse than completing a world beating run only to discover you've dropped a screenshot).

The easiest and best way to submit evidence is to upload your screenshots to the free Imgur on-line image sharing service and send me a link to the album (I'd appreciate it if you could arrange the images in the correct order) and I guess the easiest way to submit video evidence would be to upload your video to Youtube and send me its URL.

Along with the link to your photographic evidence your submissions(s) should also include your commander name, game mode, ship type, the name of your ship, your elapsed time (which can be calculated here) and the number of tunnels you managed to complete at each of the three sites.

Example ..

Cmdr Alec Turner
Mode: Open
Ship type: Python
Ship name: The Call-out Charge
Time: 25:37
Tunnels: 4 + 4 + 4
Race submissions should be sent to me, either via a pm here on the forum or else via an email to alec.turner@buckyballracing.org.uk. Race submissions will be accepted from 00:00 on 25.02.3303 until midnight on 06.03.3303.

Note: Only entries made in Open play will be eligible for the race leaderboard!

The "Win It or Bin It" joker card

Competitors can choose to play a "joker" card with their race submission in order to qualify for an additional time bonus. The run must be made in a ship without shields and the time bonus will be half of the remaining hull percentage as shown in the final landing screenshot (for example if you landed with 78% hull remaining then 39 seconds would be deducted from your final time). Use of the joker must be declared within 24hrs of the run itself and you can only play one joker per ship type.

Cheating

Since it's difficult to prove that you've really flown through the all tunnels you claim to have flown through (without making video evidence compulsory, which I'm not going to do) this race is especially susceptible to cheating. However, as there's no prize for winning other than the personal sense of pride you will feel for doing so, you really would only be cheating yourself. And that's all I have to say about that.

What do I do now?

The race starts on Saturday 25th Feb 3303. Until then you can read the rules, have a practice if you like, decide what ship(s) you're going to run in and by all means post in this thread to state your intention to take part and/or to ask any further questions.

Demonstration video

Source: https://youtu.be/ouaCqM2kE7E

Note: order of installations shown in this video should not be taken as any indication of a decent route.

Alternatively, for a far more informative and "leisurely" introduction to the race ...

Source: https://youtu.be/PCc_ixGpr-0

[SUB](thanks and credit to artigan99 for putting this together)[/SUB]

FAQ

Q) Are engineer mod's considered kosher for use in this race?
A) Yes - you may engineer the bejesus out of your ship if you like (it won't make you a better pilot you know!). Please note however that the use of Jumponium to boost your ship's jump range is strictly prohibited!

Q) Can we use SLFs? Please. Can we?
A) No. Sorry. You'll have to wait for superflyguy's new race - coming soon(TM).

Last edited:
Awesomeness.

I shall be trying out my newly engineered Imperial Courier, which now flies at approximately 100 times my reaction speed (over 800 boost if I don't bring weapons -- maybe I'll leave them on just to slow the thing down a bit! lol )

Although racing is not in my blood, I shall at least try to move faster than my normal snail-paced crawl.

Win or lose, I think this will be a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Awesomeness.

I shall be trying out my newly engineered Imperial Courier, which now flies at approximately 100 times my reaction speed (over 800 boost if I don't bring weapons -- maybe I'll leave them on just to slow the thing down a bit! lol )

Although racing is not in my blood, I shall at least try to move faster than my normal snail-paced crawl.

Win or lose, I think this will be a lot of fun!

That right there is the spirit of Buckyball Racing! Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club commander!

P.S. and yes - watch that boost speed! I've lost 3 Couriers during testing to ill-advised pre-tunnel boosting and mine only goes to about 550m/s.

Last edited:
And my new Fighterstick arrives today. :)

This looks like an awesome race to break it in on.

I didn't see any information in whether Engineer mods are kosher or not, but I'm assuming they are.

Not sure which ship I'll be flying, though. I actually have a stable of ships now. An embarrassment of riches. ;)

Last edited:
And my new Fighterstick arrives today. :)

This looks like an awesome race to break it in on.

I didn't see any information in whether Engineer mods are kosher or not, but I'm assuming they are.

Not sure which ship I'll be flying, though. I actually have a stable of ships now. An embarrassment of riches. ;)

Excellent - welcome back!

Well the Imperial Cutter has the biggest size bonus and I've heard that if you can hit 600m/s before entering the tunnel then, although you'll leave most of your ship back at the entrance, what comes out of the exit will still be considered elligible (provided you can get it to drift around the remainder of the course).

:p

P.S. yes - all ship mod's are allowed (although not Jumponium - I'll add a bit to the rules).

P.P.S. would there be much interest in a regulation Hauler class?

Last edited:
Glad to see another Buckyball Race on the way o7
This looks very scary, especially as I don't know my way around the installations (I did some CQC on the way back from DWE but didn't enjoy it and haven't picked it up since). I'm taking a break from the Silly Ships expedition and am back trading in the bubble, so I should be able to attempt it in a couple of different ships. That said, I was hit by a nasty glitch just this lunchtime when the game client lost focus and the focus started flicking back and forth between the launcher and the client as I was approaching the pad - I couldn't recover focus to either one and even Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't do anything, so I had to hard reboot my laptop: this kind of thing can corrupt the OS, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I got away without hardware or software damage. I've never seen that before... . All being well, though:
intent to race:
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
ship type 1: Vulture
ship name 1: Schaettenjaeger (both 'a's should have umlauts but I don't know how to do that on the forum's editor, so I've put an 'e' after each instead)
ship type 2: Diamondback Scout
ship name 2: Head in the Clouds

Excellent - welcome back!

Well the Imperial Cutter has the biggest size bonus and I've heard that if you can hit 600m/s before entering the tunnel then, although you'll leave most of your ship back at the entrance, what comes out of the exit will still be considered elligible (provided you can get it to drift around the remainder of the course).

:p

P.S. yes - all ship mod's are allowed (although not Jumponium - I'll add a bit to the rules).

P.P.S. would there be much interest in a regulation Hauler class?

Re: Regulation Hauler

There is for me. I love that ship!

Last edited:
Holy cow, I'm going to need a lot more tea to make it through that description.

Due to the lengthy race description that competitors are being forced to read the Buckyball Racing Club have been kind enough to provide unlimited-refill tea for those that require it.

tumblr_mfte19ihlW1qcet82o1_500.gif

my new favourite question of our esrtwhile race organiser...

can we use SLFs? Please. Can we?

Oh man, do you know, I really gave this some serious consideration when I was planning the race but I couldn't quite decide how it should work. I'm not going to simply give you an Imperial Cutter mass bonus for zipping around those tunnels in a Taipan (not without lots more experimentation on how the timings and maths work out) but on the other hand, if I use an MLF of 2 or something for your tunnel bonuses then, taking into account SLF deployment and re-docking time, you won't really stand a chance (fun tho it would be).

I reckon we save the SLF for a race all of its own (no need to blow two great ideas on one race and this one's all about "Tunnels"). Now, if only we knew someone mad keen on SLFs who could organise an SLF Buckyball Race for us? Hang on, I know - superflyguy! ......... can you think of anyone? :p

Intent to get way too big ships stuck inside tunnels. :D
This race concept looks like a lot of fun and I can't wait to try it out!

I won't be near my HOTAS and PC until the 2nd or so and due to the inability of my laptop to provide framerates suitable for high speed maneuvering I probably won't do a run until then.
Good thing that the race runs over more than one week :)

Alec sits in a quiet corner of the "Dirty Leopold", L. Heckmann's least salubrious drinking establishment. He tucks into his "Full Pips to ENG-lish" breakfast (a joke from the bar's post-gastro food menu which rather appeals to the race organiser) and reads the daily news feed. About once an hour a somewhat broken General Lee horn sound emanates from above the saloon door as it swings open and various excitingly unconventional characters saunter in, acknowledge him with a nod and, in many cases, a smile of recognition, walk over to the blackboard above the pool table and scribble their names on the end of an ever growing list.

The bar tender brings over his customary tequila, looks back at the list and grunts - "weird looking bunch!". Alec dabs some mustard from his mouth, takes a sip of the tequila and grins - "Racers! I suggest you avoid bar tabs, some of these crazy fools might not survive long enough to pay them off".

Last edited:
Top Bottom