Buckyball Racing Club presents: Turbo Hour (Jan 25th - Feb 12th)

Intent to race:

CMDR Tayo

Naja
Cobra III
Open

I am excited about trying the Cobra. I love to fly it but it likes to move. Stopping quickly is not its favourite thing. Getting caught up in all manner of things is, though, so calculating bonus points won't be difficult.

And if my routing is ok...

Emico
DBS
Open

I haven't flown a DBS before. So, shieldless is good, right? Spaceodynamic drag and such? Don't tell me until after. It'll be fine.

(And maybe the Hauler "Cool Beans" as a reward for surviving Token Ring ;))

Last edited:
Evidence - Scrum Me - Attempt 1

CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl)
Scrum Me (Diamondback Scout)
Open
No Joker
No FSD Injection

I missed a screenshot, so throw myself on the mercy of the Great and Powerful, race organizer, and hope for a ruling that states something to the effect of: "The times bracketing the missing screenshot are consistent with other laps. Allowed."

This was a ton of fun. I can't stress that enough.

If I understand the rules right...

Distance: 434.85
Penalty: 0:03:28
Lap Distance: 113.17
Laps: 3.5
Allotted: 1:00:00
Bonus: 0:00:00
Raced: 1:03:28
Total: 1:03:28
Fastest Lap: 0:16:40
Average Lap: 0:18:25
Speed: 6.7902
Average Speed: 6.196844
[IMGUR]ttYOV[/IMGUR]

Last edited:
CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl)
Scrum Me (Diamondback Scout)

Thank you for organising your screenshots so nicely. That made it really easy to enter them into my race-o-matic.

I'll excuse the missing data and give you a time of 10:56:00 arriving at Watts Dock on lap 3, as you were taking around about 4 minutes to get there on your other three laps.

You completed three laps and added two extra stations so your total distance is actually 409.34Ly (113.17 x 3 + 25.51 + 44.32). That messes up your calculations for average lap and average speed. You calculated your penalty time and fastest lap correctly.

Unsurprisingly, your entry puts you straight into the lead, ahead of my demonstration run which is excluded from ranking anyway.

PRSECMDR nameForum nameShip nameShip type[size=-2]Distance[/size][size=-2]Penalty[/size][size=-2]Lap distance[/size]LapsAllottedBonusRacedTotal[size=-2]Fastest lap[/size][size=-2]Average lap[/size]Best speed[size=-2]Average speed[/size]
111JakJhyrrylScrum MeDiamondback Scout409.3400:03:28113.17301:00:0001:03:2801:03:2800:16:4000:21:09407.41386.98
xfurrycatfurrycatDemo runType-7 Transporter382.8500:01:59113.17301:00:0001:01:5901:01:5900:17:1600:20:39393.25370.6

furrycat ... thought you might want to know that your signature link is broken, at least for me.

Thanks! Now fixed. For new posts at least.

PRSECMDR nameForum nameShip nameShip type[SIZE=-2]Distance[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Penalty[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Lap distance[/SIZE]LapsAllottedBonusRacedTotal[SIZE=-2]Fastest lap[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Average lap[/SIZE]Best speed[SIZE=-2]Average speed[/SIZE]
111JakJhyrrylScrum MeDiamondback Scout409.3400:03:28113.17301:00:0001:03:2801:03:2800:16:4000:21:09407.41386.98
xfurrycatfurrycatDemo runType-7 Transporter382.8500:01:59113.17301:00:0001:01:5901:01:5900:17:1600:20:39393.25370.6

Are we going to talk about the fact that a Type-7 has 16m/s less speed than a DBS ? Or that it's best speed is barely 14m/s slower ? or... HOW DO YOU DO IT ? Furrycat, I want to know your secret.

... And I might try my hand at this with the Slow Cooker, to see how I compare to a Type-7 !

Last edited:
Are we going to talk about the fact that a Type-7 has 16m/s less speed than a DBS ? Or that it's best speed is barely 14m/s slower

Speeds in the classification are measured in lightyears per hour. You're racing for an hour plus a few minutes and there are only so many route permutations so a close grouping of distances (hence also speeds) is to be expected.

One of my design goals for this race was to give encourage ship diversity by setting a course which doesn't make jump range the main differentiator. The T7 has a respectable range so I was able to add A-rated thrusters and a shield without sacrificing any jumps. That in turn allowed me to dock far more recklessly on my demonstration run than my insurers perhaps would have liked.

I might try my hand at this with the Slow Cooker, to see how I compare to a Type-7 !

That's the spirit!

First observation: Starting at a "regular" time is probably not a good idea. For what it's worth, I avoided the ships that were coming out of dock at about the same time as my own. Also, for what it's worth, I *didn't* avoid the station. At least my ship survived... barely.

Formal intent to race ...

Cmdr Alec Turner
Ship type: DBX
Ship name: The Fockest Uppest

Not only that ... I've raced, I've slapped my big fat joker down on the table and I've claimed double bonus points.

I've even done maths.

BOOYAH!

furrycat ... my submission is in the post

Last edited:
Formal intent to race ...

Not only that ... I've raced, I've slapped my bit fat joker down on the table and I've claimed double bonus points.
I've even done maths.
BOOYAH!

furrycat ... my submission is in the post

Oh. I haven't even officially declared my intent to race and there's already a joker claimed? :eek:
Well, my manual calculation of optimal optimums has yielded some results, but I'm pretty sure that many of the strategies and plans will have to be developed after having done some field tests and practical science experiments and therefore I hereby declare my intent to race, at least the first one.

CMDR Cookiehole
Imperial Courier "Crater Creator"
Open Play, no FSD boost, no joker (yet)

Also I might drag my Orca over to Turbo, find a fancy name for it and give it a go on this course, it'll need only around 4 jumps more! :D

Last edited:
Are we going to talk about the fact that a Type-7 has 16m/s less speed than a DBS ? Or that it's best speed is barely 14m/s slower ? or... HOW DO YOU DO IT ? Furrycat, I want to know your secret.

... And I might try my hand at this with the Slow Cooker, to see how I compare to a Type-7 !
Also, I had several serious mistakes. :)

I blew up several ships on route; I went swimming in a gravity well; I missed at least 2 SC exits. Lots of room to zoom past my, um, test run. Yeah, that's the ticket...test run.

Run completed. A decent run, overall. Two pictures for the run:

Unkulcay in eclipse.jpg
venom strike.jpg

One thing about the Empire: they know how to build a beautiful ship.

Having calmed down bit with a nice cup of tea can I just add that this was by FAR the most intense Buckyball Run I've ever done. I hope to god my time (err, distance?) is a decent one because I'm not sure my nerves could stand running this again.

Oh shiny, look how many Cobras are already there!

Why not throw another one in the grinder?

Intent to endlessly run in circle in a downward spiral to insanity-*ahem*, to race:

Cmdr Aken B.
Forum name: AkenBosch
Ship type: Cobra Mk III
Ship name: Millennium Faulcon

Open, no joker or other fancy things.

I'm not sure I really understood the rules (an understatement, I'm pretty sure I didn't understand them), but I'm confident that Buckybot will do all the maths needed. :)

Last edited:
Having calmed down bit with a nice cup of tea can I just add that this was by FAR the most intense Buckyball Run I've ever done. I hope to god my time (err, distance?) is a decent one because I'm not sure my nerves could stand running this again.

Heh. It's interesting comparing expectations. Here, I have no illusions of winning, and I've had a good night's sleep, and I haven't been in the cockpit for hours upon hours... this felt almost leisurely for me.

One of my design goals for this race was to give encourage ship diversity by setting a course which doesn't make jump range the main differentiator.

That got my gear turning. I will keep the Cobra III because I haven't raced one before, and am considering another ship for a second run (if time permits). My ace mechanic will crunch some numbers on ship stripping.

mgxREB6.gif

EDIT: Initial tests confirm that the Cobra III is, indeed, fast. It is not fast enough, however, to go through a station wall. It does get to the insurance screen faster that it flies. Testing continues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom