Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Warm Up Race 01 'The Pleiades Hip Hop'. 1st-9th August 15.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I saw the lasercow ( anuraniums type 6 ) at ohms last night. though he hasn't emailed me his race pics yet, if you want someone to race against.

Just sent an e-mail to the appropriate address (I hope)

It remains to be seen if the run is approved, since there were some irregular photographic transgressions on the way :/

Last edited:
I just completed a 7+6+7 = 20 jump run in 23:05 using an Anaconda with 48T fuel. Unfortunately I missed two screenshots because I put focus in the destination box before pressing F10.
Will try again.

I posted the times more to show the difference in the time between the two builds. The fuel scooping one would have been faster except I had problems with the galaxy map stuttering which meant I ended up using the navigation tab to find the next of the sisters I was jumping to I think the problem was at my end.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by crotalus
Anaconda with 24t of fuel 7a fuel scoop , 24 minutes and 18 seconds

cool, I can put your time up on the unofficial section, and if you want to email your pics to me I can make it official.

Last edited:
Completed the V8 class run in 34:30 (16+6+16=38 jumps). Viper (Dinki-Di) with 6T fuel. No reroutes. Pics sent.

Would've been faster if that dang NPC pirate wouldn't have tried to interdict me just as I was under 0.30ls away from Ohm... Won it quick, but it threw me about 6ls over and with difficult angle (had a moon there slowing down). Exit from supercruise right behind the station. Boosted once (2D distributor just for boosting in and out of station), got a good drift going, which then went almost over, hitted the boost to correct it. Right at the rack naturally. Pad 14, luckily right at back, but pouncy 2D thrusters had no chance slowing down. Crash, hull to 34%, canopy compromised. Mad scramble to pad, finished.

Bartender, pass me another o/

Last edited:
I just submitted my best run out of 3 as I won't be able to do more runs until the 9th! Can't wait for the results.
Good luck commanders!

Here's the first Days Board update.

brcwur01_board_D1.jpg

We're all leading our respective ship types but the best time so far has been by CMDR Woodhouse
Good to see the Type 6 and the hauler at the top of open.
an early dash for the quickest solo time was made by CMDR Woodhouse in an as yet unnamed conda.
Im hoping to get my sidey time under 30 mins so im not left with the bar bill. ;)

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm going to sit this one out. Too much about the route calculations, not enough about the piloting for my taste.

w00t!

Will be on this on Monday hopefully.

Cmdr Alec Turner
Open Unlimited
Ship type: haven't decided, possibly DBX
Ship name: ditto (as in, haven't decided, not as in "Ditto")

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm going to sit this one out. Too much about the route calculations, not enough about the piloting for my taste.

I had a go last night, haven't sent my screenshots yet, but I'd just missed the update board update anyway. I'd initially thought that it would come down to a travelling salesman type problem for hitting the systems in order, the the target systems are all within a short jump of each other, so you can more or less pick any order with much planning. Don't take any notice about the scoop / no-scoop chat, that's just random forum chatter, it's more than 200ly so a scoop will always be faster.

Ohm Horizons is tucked nicely in a low orbit around a gas giant so a good SC approach will make a big difference to your time.

So I think that it's a great little race, and a nice bar bet, exactly what robinjb planned.

If you're not too busy with other things, have a quick visit to dock at Ohm Horizons and you'll see what I mean. :)

Last edited:

Hi Rankase sorry to hear that, yeah im not EZ and these are warm ups to get people in the mood for the next big one.
and also I guess as there haven't been short races since 4 months ago, I wanted to create a pale imitation of the original bb runs, I think youll agree its that.
im keeping my warm ups simple so old and new racers have something to have a go at if they are bored.
If youd like to come up with some races that focus more on piloting we would love to see them. you or anyone else can go after raiko for the next warm up slot, its no problem
just trying to get more racing happening. doesnt have to be a warm up, can be whatever you want.

So I think that it's a great little race, and a nice bar bet, exactly what robinjb planned.
thanks for blowing my trumpet Raiko ;)

Last edited:
Hi Rankase sorry to hear that, yeah im not EZ and these are warm ups to get people in the mood for the next big one.
and also I guess as there haven't been short races since 4 months ago, I wanted to create a pale imitation of the original bb runs, I think youll agree its that.
im keeping my warm ups simple so old and new racers have something to have a go at if they are bored.
If youd like to come up with some races that focus more on piloting we would love to see them. you or anyone else can go after raiko for the next warm up slot, its no problem
just trying to get more racing happening. doesnt have to be a warm up, can be whatever you want.

thanks for blowing my trumpet Raiko ;)

No worries, my post wasn't meant to be critical, just an observation that this particular run isn't really my style. The crazy docking, even crazier undocking, and otherwise generally riding the ragged edge of disaster is a lot of the fun of Buckyball to me, and since there's no checkpoints/required fuel stops/etc. on this run, there isn't any of that.

Truth be told, it's probably just as well, because I don't have a lot of time to play right now. I have some, which is an improvement over the last couple of months when I haven't been around at all, but... still not a lot.

As for suggestions for formats of future events, I still think the best Buckyball was the scramble race of BBR7. It was kind of the best of all worlds, I thought. Not that every race should be like that one, but I definitely think it is a format we should revisit.

As for suggestions for formats of future events, I still think the best Buckyball was the scramble race of BBR7. It was kind of the best of all worlds, I thought. Not that every race should be like that one, but I definitely think it is a format we should revisit.

We definitely will :)

No worries, my post wasn't meant to be critical, just an observation that this particular run isn't really my style.
Understood, I really wanted to hold some short semi competative races for those that don't have much time. The only other one on offer is at least a 1 day time sink and more unless you self destruct.

I do think the Pleiades nebula is a nice close cluster, with some interesting features.. and maybe will encourage further exploration. there's a black hole in Maia for example.
and lots of the A and B star systems are well populated with gas giants and high metals.
and ohms horizon was chosen because of its low orbit around the gas giant,
a few times ive been sucked in and lost minutes trying to decelerate using the grav well.

Organising and running a small race has given me some insight into what EZ had to do and despite him calling himself lazy.. its not something you do if you are lazy.
having to tell a racer that there submitted pics aren't right is heart-breaking.
im just glad this is a short 30ish minute race, that can be repeated easily.

for me the buckyballs were the best bit of the game and I just hope we can capture some small part of that spirit. but I digress, im not looking for a pat on the head and a well done, your either into it or your not.
What I find incredulous is the fact that there's hundreds of CMDRS moaning about lack of content and when some people try and create some for everyone's benefit they'd rather spend there time on the forums complaining. crazy.

Last edited:
I've added another page to the website, called "How to Enter", that has example screenshots for evidence submissions, pointing out the key things they need to show. I hope that helps with ensuring people submit the right things!

Understood, I really wanted to hold some short semi competative races for those that don't have much time. The only other one on offer is at least a 1 day time sink and more unless you self destruct.

I do think the Pleiades nebula is a nice close cluster, with some interesting features.. and maybe will encourage further exploration. there's a black hole in Maia for example.
and lots of the A and B star systems are well populated with gas giants and high metals.
and ohms horizon was chosen because of its low orbit around the gas giant,
a few times ive been sucked in and lost minutes trying to decelerate using the grav well.

Organising and running a small race has given me some insight into what EZ had to do and despite him calling himself lazy.. its not something you do if you are lazy.
having to tell a racer that there submitted pics aren't right is heart-breaking.
im just glad this is a short 30ish minute race, that can be repeated easily.

for me the buckyballs were the best bit of the game and I just hope we can capture some small part of that spirit. but I digress, im not looking for a pat on the head and a well done, your either into it or your not.
What I find incredulous is the fact that there's hundreds of CMDRS moaning about lack of content and when some people try and create some for everyone's benefit they'd rather spend there time on the forums complaining. crazy.

Yeah, I don't get the whole "lack of content" complaint. There's no shortage of things to do, and when you run out, there's plenty of ways to make your own content.

I definitely also agree that short races are the way to go generally. The ability to repeat the runs encourages competition. The BBRA* was cool and unique and special, but not really a template for what the average Buckyball event should be.

@Rankaze, I replied to one of your posts from above in the other thread, as the discussion of what makes a good race shouldn't be sidetracking robinjb's race.

I've still not sent my screenshots, as I've not been able to get onto my gaming pc. I'll have time later, so I'll try another run and then send my best time. :)

Last edited:
thanks for hosting this race! i took the challenge, now drinks are on me ;-)

i will try harder later this week. so much fun! last time i was at pleiades i was in my first and beloved adder, this time i fitted a cobra especially for this ... and had to start twice cause ditching the slot.

fellow racers, be aware, ohm horizons has everythig, but no D4 thrusters.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom