Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Warm Up Race 01 'The Pleiades Hip Hop'. 1st-9th August 15.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have just spent some time with Dark Star at 38.07 Ly range and can't get it to 7 jumps.
@Robinjb, are you sure you made it in 7?

you guys totally made me think I was losing my mind, yeah I can get to 2 sisters in 7 jumps, I think my JR is just under 38, so I jump to one and come back from the other. theres one double jump either way where you need to scoop for 2 jumps.
ive taken some screenshots so I can show you the route when the race is over.

I think it was 7 back too. though it was definitely 7 there ive got the shots of the route to prove it. ill make sure Drakhyr looks at my shots.

ok so ive just spoken to Rusti in game and weve come to the conclusion that ive been making 8 jumps but telling you guys it was 7.
as it says 7 in the panellley thing and I was missing the first jump. sorry for the mistake. but the solo time to beat is still 19:46 ;)

@CMDR Kliggson, you are an awesome pilot, but I'm still going to try and beat your time. :cool:
please do, I deliberately stayed out of the open class with my better range ships, its bad form to win the races you hold but CMDR Alot could still come along and take 2 minutes off im not sure if the conda times have been pushed to super light. doing it in a sidey under 30 mins is pretty hardcore if anyone else wants to race my time in open.
and yeah ive done this run a few times now.. and 2 or 3 before the race to see in different ships. so its not really a surprise Im used to the course.. ive done a few econo runs to the pleadies aswell to parp up some money, its pretty chilled out after all that burning up your ship jump scooping.

Last edited:
It's fine, the Nav tab says +7 jumps, so it actually means 8. :) I've spent far too long counting jumps to try and guess my Sadge run times in advance.

That's a really impressive time, and although I hope I can beat it, I don't have any problems with it if your time is the fastest. :cool:

It's fine, the Nav tab says +7 jumps, so it actually means 8. :) I've spent far too long counting jumps to try and guess my Sadge run times in advance.

That's a really impressive time, and although I hope I can beat it, I don't have any problems with it if your time is the fastest. :cool:

Im doing an EZ and taking my opportunity to get a virtual star on the solo race when no one was looking, except you all were ;)
I hope someone beats it, all you need is a lot of time on your hands and a total disregard for the state your ship ends up in when you land, as long as you land. and not be interdicted.

Man, I've been out of things, good to see that we're back and running, time to pull the Reckless Abandon out of storage and dust her off.
Going to scout the track, then give it a go. OPEN UNLIMITED, CMDR Mangel . Hauler, "Reckless Abandon"
Looking forward to your run Mangel, forgot to say what with '7or8 jumpgate' going on.

Last edited:
Im doing an EZ and taking my opportunity to get a virtual star on the solo race when no one was looking, except you all were ;)
Haha, see my plan is more cunning, I'm going to race to Hutton Orbital, etc, in the weirdie side-race of my Bootlegger-challenge and then I'll just hope no one else is crazy enough to challenge my time. ;)

I didn't see a reason to go solo, there wasn't anyone around.

In my anaconda I did 8 jumps there and back plus 6 while there, which is not really exploiting its range advantage. You could do the same in an Asp, and maybe even in a DBX. If you strip down an anaconda then I think you can do 7 jumps to asterope but you'd need 8 back, as far as I could tell. So you could probably take a minute off my time.

When I pulled out of Ohm earlier tonight to go trading I saw that Drakhyr was docked and wished him well. I hope he had a good run. :)

I did 7 to asterope and i then 7 on the way back, i think atlas was my last stop.
Edit: as someone points out, 7 is actually +7 = 8

Last edited:
Whoa there !

My passengers have just notified me of this raucous event and demanded that they take part - who am I to argue? they are paying my wages!

After tonight's itinerary and party I will dock the 'Amen Break' at HIP 29312; get the engineers to make the required outfitting adjustments, have a local massage, enjoy a bacon sandwich and a pint of ye olde Earth ale.

What fun tomorrow brings! Can my dear Orca make the trip sub-30 or will i have to buy all you goodly star shooters a libation of your choice at the bar?

The real HIP Hopper

I'm back from the core and went straight into a run. Nice of Cmdr Kliggson to give me a personal welcome to the race. I could get used to such hospitality!

Heres the update for Day 7
brcwur01_board_D7.jpg

4 updates today ;- CMDR Cheetah back from Sag, took his Asp 'The sleeper awakens' out and got a good time of 22:04, just ahead of CMDR Drakhyr's improved time in the 'Deep blue Yonder' of 22:07.
Stern Winter ups his time in 'Thaw-Bringer' to slip just ahead of CMDR Cheetah with 21:46 and CMDR Orange sheets ejects from the viper and embraces the type 6, with a good time in 'Kirsty' of 22:22, leaving me bringing up the rear in open.

I had to reject a good open asp time from CMDR Turambar which broke my heart,
please guys make sure i can confirm you were actually in all 7 sisters... otherwise its a no go.
theres a great page on the BRC website about submission pics that Drakhyr did here:- http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/entry.html thats worth a look if your unsure.

After tonight's itinerary and party I will dock the 'Amen Break' at HIP 29312;
Can my dear Orca make the trip sub-30 or will i have to buy all you goodly star shooters a libation of your choice at the bar? The real HIP Hopper
Hi Cmdr lightspeed, glad you and your passengers could join us for a hip hopper on the hip hop and yep if you run in the orca you're buying...maybe we can get the passengers to do a whip round, it was their idea right? ;)

EDIT:- put CMDR Mangels time on the board, will do a write up for the day 8 board.

Last edited:
Just pulled in for a surprisingly smooth landing at Ohm Horizons, just a bit too late for the board update.

Final time; 24:08. Just shy of Thethingis, and I know I can shave off those extra few seconds.

Last edited:
We've just completed our recce of the course and can report back that it has been very well set up!

One navigation error and a couple of emergency stops resulted in a time of 45:35 (unofficial). Everyone on board is confident we can beat that on 'the run'.

All off to the bar for a pre-race sharpener and then heading straight back out!

(we even saw an Asp among the 7 sisters but couldn't get a lock on who it was)

Last edited:
All off to the bar for a pre-race sharpener and then heading straight back out!

Good luck CMDR, its been a quiet day so, if you can get me your submission within the next 3 hrs itll go up. ( please check your shots verify you were in the 7 sisters ) otherwise itll have to wait till tomorrow as ive got a wedding barge I need to be on that wont dock till Monday afternoon. Drakhyr will be taking over the final day.
Nice to have someone just going for it in whatever... rather than taking it serious , makes me miss Fox two. kudos.

Last edited:
Cheers kliggson.

just got back in 42:39, trouble is the passenger who had been assigned to location verification duties was, quite frankly, crap! We docked at Ohm with only 4 of the 7 checkpoints on file. :(

We'll head out again tomorrow with at least two verifiers on duty and they won't be situated in one of the bars!

Went out today for another couple runs to beat my time, and that of Thethingis'. First of the day was a warm-up, ran it in a slow 24:47 as I spent a good few seconds sliding around the landing pad rubbing the sleep from my eyes while trying to land.

Second run went much faster, utilizing the control tower as aditional braking and a backboard to place me on the pad in 23:18.

Time to hit the bar, my throat is dry from all the smoke billowing from my vents caused by charging an FSD with the fuel scoop deployed.

Here's the board update for the penultimate day:-

brcwur01_board_D8.jpg

Its all asps at the top . its almost like the race is sponsored by Lakon.
CMDR Turambar pulls a great sub 20 minute run off in his asp called asp. that's a great relief to me.
CMDR Mangel ups his hauler time to 23:17 to take the hauler top spot.
I hope no ones been ejected into space for missing the shots for CMDR lightspeeds Hip hopper diversion.
theres all to play for coming into the last day.. maybe well get some last minute entrys.
Drakhyrs taking over for the last day. Fly safe and ill catch you in a couple.

Last edited:
After a few hours in the bar, and a few too many drinks, I find myself waking up in the station drunk tank the new proud owner of a slightly beat up Sidewinder, with no memory of any such purchase.

According to station authorities, I staggered out of the bar, made it to the shipyard, managed to convince the dockmaster that yes, I could indeed fly, bought said Sidey, and proceeded to crash it into the wall when I passed out. So here I am with a skull-pounding headache, a Sidewinder and no idea what to do with it. I could just sell it back, but that would risk the contempt of the dockmaster... Or I could strip it out and join Kliggs and his Boost Fail on the board.

After a couple more drinks, I choose the latter. I head back down to the shipyard and proudly proclaim that I want them to strip everthing out of it, replace it with the lightest parts (excepting the FSD of course, A for always, or something) and bolt in the biggest fuel scoop they can (not very big, it IS only a Sidey, after all), I'm taking it racing.

While they do that, I'll get something to eat, a couple more drinks, and submit my application as follows;

OPEN UNLIMITED
CMDR Mangel
In the Sidewinder, Corona Surfing

--- UPDATE ---

After a few more than a couple more drinks, I staggered to my ship, waited on the clock, and set off, boosting out of the slot, passing an authority Viper close enough to shake up my stomach with its engine's rumble. Slightly queasy, I got the second boost I could sqeeze out of my little engines to break mass lock and spooled up my Frame Shift Drive. This race was on.

Until, half way to the 7 Sisters, I got a swift reminder in the importance of, being in a ship that can only make two maximum range jumps, checking my route in the map for any unscoopable stars that need to be scooped enough before-hand to pass by.

This reminder came in the shape of a massive purple sphere and a friendly reminder from my computer that my main fuel tank was drained. After a few choice expletives, I quickly opened up my map to see if I could reach anything nearby. I couldn't. A few more expletives, and my cockpit was suddenly feeling very cramped. I had a choice, self-destruct and give up on the race, or call someone for fuel. I remembered the excellent service I was rendered by the Fuel Rats some time ago, and pulled their card out. With my sliver of a fuel gauge slowly slimming, I dropped into deep space, turned off everything but my life support and, with my cockpit already frosting up, dialed into the Rats' frequency.

Moments after raising the "Rat Signal", the dispatcher asked me who and where I was, and set me up with two fine commanders who would assist me. They were both 15 jumps away. I figured this would be a bit of a wait, so I pulled out a bottle of brandy I stashed under my seat and settled down to wait, trying not to glance at my still dropping fuel readout.

Not long after, I got the message that one of my rescuers was within 3 jumps of me, with the other not far behind, so I sent them each a wing request, and was homed in on quickly. Unfortunatelym it became quickly apparent that there were some strange problems with them being unable to locate me after dropping onto my wing beacon, so, with some trepidation, I powered on my drives and FSD, for a quick pop into super-cruise, so that they could follow my wake back down to normal space.

After that the rescue, not being my first, went very smoothly, with two limpets fired at me topping up my miniscule tank to full. I breathe a sigh of relief, and one of my rescuers suggests we take a picture. I figured, why not? Until now, I never truly appreciated the scale of the largest of the ships in our galaxy, and how small we actually are.

fuel rats alec turner richard anderson.png

After picture time was finished, I was struck with another choice. Abandon the run, or continue on to the Sisters and back, taking my time as is. Again, I opted for the latter, so after a few pulls from my bottle to calm my frazzled nerves I continued on.

A routine pop around the nebula, and a quick jaunt back along to HIP 29312, with only a minor crash into the colloquial toaster rack, and a small bounce off the landing pad, I finally made it back. My time, you ask? A blistering 1 hour, 23 minutes and 29 seconds. I guess drinks are on me.

Shoutouts to CMDRs Alec Turner and Richard Anderson with the Fuel Rats for the rescue, and the second punch on my loyalty card. I'm not sure I want to know what I get if I fill it, hopefully I never find out.

--- ANOTHER UPDATE ---

Looking through my pictures, I actually missed a shot of that feisty temptress, Pleione. I'm not sure I even want to try again after that earth-shattering attempt. I'll still buy everyone a round though, so that everyone can have a laugh at my expense.

Last edited:
A routine pop around the nebula, and a quick jaunt back along to HIP 29312, with only a minor crash into the colloquial toaster rack, and a small bounce off the landing pad, I finally made it back. My time, you ask? A blistering 1 hour, 23 minutes and 29 seconds. I guess drinks are on me.

Hey bad luck CMDR Mangel, don't drink and fly, I told you the sidey on this race was hardcore.

Shoutouts to CMDRs Alec Turner and Richard Anderson with the Fuel Rats for the rescue, and the second punch on my loyalty card. I'm not sure I want to know what I get if I fill it, hopefully I never find out.

Magnificent !
When you fill your loyalty card, we fill your tank for FREE. You heard me folks, use our services ten times, and we crank it up to ELEVEN !

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom