[INDEPENDENT] Buckyball Racing Club

Wanted to pop in and confirm that the next race will indeed take place from 12 to 22 January. I plan to open the race thread on Thursday (with final banner, just small adjustments). Spoiler: It will feature 4 stops. Nothing to prepare except to bring your favourite race ship(s) to Alliance space.

Wanted to pop in and confirm that the next race will indeed take place from 12 to 22 January. I plan to open the race thread on Thursday (with final banner, just small adjustments). Spoiler: It will feature 4 stops. Nothing to prepare except to bring your favourite race ship(s) to Alliance space.
Woo hoo! Can't wait ... it's been too long.

*prepares to take up last place in his lightly engineered mamba

Aaaargh! My Kingdom for a joystick!

Sod it, I'll take it apart bit by bit and try extract every possible ounce of remaining life from it. I've been waiting for a new race for ages, can't miss this one.

OK - our first race of 3305 is now over (the excellently run Wiccan Ware Race courtesy of Jay Fox), the final results have been published, post-race analysis is underway and I've done my best to follow in drakhyr's well heeled footsteps and bring the official Buckyball Racing Club website up to date.

So now I'm looking to the future.

Personally I'd really like to continue to try and run a vaguely regular series of races througout the year and there certainly still seems to be enthusiasm for this elsewhere in the community from racers both new and old.

I'd also like to suggest a small change to current practice and run races for two weeks. I get the sense that a fair number of people miss out because the week long races are pretty much over by the time they're ready to take part. Note that this doesn't have to make things more onerous for the organisers - feel free to just post a scoreboard update every other day.

At present we theoretically still have a race from Cmdr Markzx59 (aka racer1), carried over from the end of last year and now tentatively scheduled for February (are you there buddy? still up for doing this?), and I have my "Hot Off The Press" race, which has been in the pipeline for far too long now, scheduled for March.

As to the future, well that's where you come in (yes, if you're reading this, I mean YOU). If you have an idea for a race (or just fancy re-running a variation on an old one) then please come forward. Don't worry if your creative writing isn't brilliant, don't worry if you can't produce a nice banner or don't know how to maintain a scoreboard. I/we can help with all that. We just need a bit of enthusiasm to keep this going for as long as people enjoy doing it.

Basically ...

ebJIKtd.png

Thanks for digging the thread out of oblivion Ozric!

I read the chat on discord, but this is the first time I've logged into the new style forum.

Need to get around to fixing my signature.

Have I missed any speculative thoughts on how the new supercruise assist will effect our races?
We have races? ... ;)
(sorry, that's partly down to me being heavily involved in The First Great Planetary Expedition)

Seriously tho' - it's been mentioned briefly in Discord but nothing major. My guess is that it will be a safe 6/7 second eta approach and also, as far as I understand, you still have to steer so it's not like it's going ti take an optimal course avoiding gravity wells. That said, waaaaay back when someone first asked if they could use a docking computer I laughed it off on the assumption that the docking computer would be slow. In practice however it turned out to be surprisingly fast. I guess if the supercruise assist is fast then we can just outlaw it somehow (is it a module which we can forbid I wonder?).

After reading Alec's, ok, what he said. I doubt this autopilotsupercruise assist will pull 0:02 s approaches. I think it can fall under our "gentlemen agreement" of fair play, asking for its use to be forbidden during races.

Top Bottom