[INDEPENDENT] Buckyball Racing Club

New race thread is now available:

This is my first thread that I've posted on the new style forums, so I might need to tweak the thread over the next day or two.

Full race rules will appear over the next week. Race begins 00:00GMT 12-JUL-3305

Almost home now, Inner Orion spur
Rebuy Prospect, Fullerene C60
Life is good there, the drinks are even better
Friends I have forsaken, racing through the void
Neutron roads, take me home
To the place I belong
Rebuy Prospect, port of racers
Take me home, Neutron roads
All my memories gather round it
Brightest beacon, stranger to sanity
A jewel in the dark, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye
To the place I belong
I hear her voice, in the morning hour she calls me
Covas Verity reminds me of my home far away
And flying down the road I get a feeling
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday
To the place I belong
To the place I belong
Take me home, down Neutron roads
<3

Almost home now, Inner Orion spur
Rebuy Prospect, Fullerene C60
Life is good there, the drinks are even better
Friends I have forsaken, racing through the void
To the place I belong
All my memories gather round it
Brightest beacon, stranger to sanity
A jewel in the dark, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye
To the place I belong
I hear her voice, in the morning hour she calls me
Covas Verity reminds me of my home far away
And flying down the road I get a feeling
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday
To the place I belong
To the place I belong
<3
Seconded ... that's flippin' awesome. Hi Polly, welcome back!

Thanks!
Almost 1 1/2 years since my last race. I've been planning a comeback for quite a while, but I've had too much life in my life lately.
Good to see you guys are still in the circuit. If time permits, I hope to take on the seven sisters.

Yes, we had something from Edelgard if memory doesn't fails me, lemme check the past events.

Edit - nope, that was Armed and Dangerous, lemme re-check. My memory always fail me, my memory hates me.

Edit 2 - I remembered the name but not the host, it was drakhyr's Close Encounters.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...ents-close-encounters-16-24-june-3304.431847/

That said, you'll harsly find anyone against a new race using low orbiting stations. ;)

Last edited:
I've got a quick little event I can put together, if needed between main events.

Much like my old Okinura Time Trial, but it'll be at Squirrels Nest Bar using the Elite Racers track layout.

What the course would look like for a Time Trial,
The start being the board,
The finish being clearing the tunnel.

====
Elite Racers Course Fly-through
Course Layout
Note in the Course Layout, on the left where it says 'under' you only need to go under the first 'bar'.
In my video I go under both (as seen from 1:41-1:44). The course fly-through goes under the first 'bar' only. Both are fine.

I've still not submitted a time for your Okinura Time Trial, or Alec's Pomeche Ridge Challenge, but they're both on my to do list, and I love Squirrel's Nest - as you probably already realised! :cool:

@UmbraRex I loved Drakhyr's Close Encounters, so I'd love it if you found another set of low orbit stations.

I've still not submitted a time for your Okinura Time Trial, or Alec's Pomeche Ridge Challenge, but they're both on my to do list, and I love Squirrel's Nest - as you probably already realised! :cool:

@UmbraRex I loved Drakhyr's Close Encounters, so I'd love it if you found another set of low orbit stations.

I love the idea of doing something like that but my RL doesn't provide me the time to manage a race, much less do the research to put one together.

I love the idea of doing something like that but my RL doesn't provide me the time to manage a race, much less do the research to put one together.
I can definitely emphasize, while I've managed to post updates during the Se7en Sisters Speedway, that's all I've had time for, I've not been in game since the race started.

From the Se7en Sisters Speedway the question has risen (again) which Supercruise Approach Technique is the fastest (in different circumstances). While there's a good side-by-side video from furrycat comparing basic approach techniques to the Braking Helix, there's still answers missing for different types of gravity braking loops aswell as comparing them to the helix approach in different planetary environments. I just realized how many test scenarios there are and with the aspiration to do this scientifically enough to get a solid qualitative answer to all these questions, this could take some time.
To structure the testing a bit, I've created a spreadsheet with all the configurations (and documentation on the approach types) I plan on testing and I'll try to analyze the individual test runs there aswell (as soon(TM) as I've done them). If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to include them.
I also need quite a few different locations to do the testing at, with somewhat stringent criteria (to allow a general conclusion), so if you know any places that somewhat fit these requirements let me know! :)
I'll start testing in the next few days but will have to see how much time I'll have, so I fear this will take a few weeks ;)

Last edited:
Hello Buckyball Racers! I'm not kind of racer pilot but some time ago I saw really nice and interesting base and I thought about your initiative.
This planetary base is Fidalgo Survey in HIP 53537 system, planet A3. Looks very interesting for SRV racing. You can ride around landing pads - it looks like circuit and if you had luck you can see landing ship from really close distance :) (only when you ride too close, you get "pad loitering" warning). There is also big place with containers looking like those for drift competition in car racing games. Base is independent with open air space. I had lot of fun riding there.
I recommend to see this place :)

hey Buckyballers im returning to Elite after a long time away and decided to take part in all upcoming buckyball races. i first took part in the kessel run event way back when.and had loads of fun. so im looking to build a pure racing ship based on the mamba now i know its not going to be a winning ship by far but there is just something about the mamba that draws me in i think its the resemblance to an offshore powerboat that i like. anyway i'm not going to be winning any races in it but i'm gonna have a boatload of fun trying. so my question is it really down to jump range or are thrusters just as important to engineer ??
White Widow Racing

Hey there new/returning Buckyballers! @wimm I'll go and take a look if I get a spare moment. And @xxSTARHOUNDxx .. love my Mamba, meant to use it for a Kamikaze run in Raiko's recent Seven Sisters Speedway but sadly ran out of time. The next race will be mine - "Hot Off The Press" - and it's, errr, a bit different to the usual range + speed = win formula. There's a very real chance that evryone will hate it :ROFLMAO: but, nothing ventured nothing gained! Could a Mamba win it? Sure. Why not.

Hey there new/returning Buckyballers! @wimm I'll go and take a look if I get a spare moment. And @xxSTARHOUNDxx .. love my Mamba, meant to use it for a Kamikaze run in Raiko's recent Seven Sisters Speedway but sadly ran out of time. The next race will be mine - "Hot Off The Press" - and it's, errr, a bit different to the usual range + speed = win formula. There's a very real chance that evryone will hate it :ROFLMAO: but, nothing ventured nothing gained! Could a Mamba win it? Sure. Why not.
i best get my ass into gear and get the white widow ready for "Hot Off The Press" the guys over on Discord have been more than helpful with outfitting and engineering advice

Howdy folks.

Not nearly as eloquent as Polly's post above, I'm afraid, but it expresses my feelings pretty well. In my defense, the original lyrics don't maintain the rhyme scheme any better than mine do. :p The tune, of course, should be obvious.

Back in the black, dodgin’ the flak,
I’ve been too long, I’m glad to be back
Yes, I cut loose, with the boost
Leave ‘em behind right outta the chute.
I’ve been looking at the sky, ‘cause I needed to fly
Forget the rebuy ‘cause I’ll never die
I got three wins, and more spins
Throttle to the wall now, got it open wide!

‘Cause I’m back, yes I’m back
Well I’m back, Yes I’m back
Well I’m back, back
Well I’m back, in the black
Yes, I’m back in the black

Back in the black, I’m on the attack
Number one on the board, I’m on top of the stack
But those space cops, lickin’ their chops,
They try to grab me now at every stop.
But I’m outta the slot, and my boosters are hot
They know they can’t catch me but I guess they forgot.
So look at me race, I’m back on the pace
Can’t stop me now so just get out of my way.

‘Cause I’m back, yes I’m back,
Well I’m back, yes I’m back.
Well I’m back, back
Well I’m back in the black
Yes I’m back in the black…

(here’s an extra verse, because there were a couple of things I wanted to work in)

I’m back in the black, You know I’m not a hack,
Been gone so long I'm glad to see a toast rack.
Gotta stand tall, put my name on the wall,
Only thing that really matters is Buckyball
Keepin’ it clean, I’m a racin’ machine,
I got the fastest big Mamba you’ve ever seen.
I need one more, big score,
Can’t get complacent gotta run it full-bore,

‘Cause I’m back, yes I’m back,
Well I’m back, yes I’m back.
Well I’m back, back
Well I’m back in the black
Yes I’m back in the black…

Last edited:
Had to swing by and say, "Heya!" after a gentle prodding by the internet. No, I'm not coming back to the game (at least not right now) as I'm prepping to start a new career in Data Science. Speaking of which, the prod I got came in the form of some pandas documentation that I'd looked at half a dozen times before, but only now absorbed the content in the examples. Anyone here know who might be responsible for writing these docs?
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.DataFrame.loc.html

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Oh man. I was expecting Red Pandas 😅

Good to see you back, I hope the career goes well for you definitely. Could certainly be interesting. I have no idea about the code though. Maybe when they finally release news that it's atmospheric planets next year 🙏 that'll get you back for some interesting races I'm sure.

Top Bottom