[INDEPENDENT] Buckyball Racing Club

Had to swing by and say, "Heya!" after a gentle prodding by the internet. No, I'm not coming back to the game (at least not right now) as I'm prepping to start a new career in Data Science. Speaking of which, the prod I got came in the form of some pandas documentation that I'd looked at half a dozen times before, but only now absorbed the content in the examples. Anyone here know who might be responsible for writing these docs?
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.DataFrame.loc.html
Hi Jhyrryl, good luck with the data science! Lots of the old gang still around if you ever feel like coming back ... our 68th race started today! (Lava Loop). 😁

Had to swing by and say, "Heya!" after a gentle prodding by the internet. No, I'm not coming back to the game (at least not right now) as I'm prepping to start a new career in Data Science. Speaking of which, the prod I got came in the form of some pandas documentation that I'd looked at half a dozen times before, but only now absorbed the content in the examples. Anyone here know who might be responsible for writing these docs?
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.DataFrame.loc.html
Hi Jhyrryl, nice of you to pop into the forums.

Good luck with your new job, I'm sure we'll still be racing if and when you play again. :)

Hey Jhyrryl, glad to see you're doing good! And best of luck with your career!

As for that docs, no idea, but considering that by a quick glance at the forums it looks like 99% of people around here work with coding stuff one way or the other, I am not at all surprised someone used Elite as a reference. 🤓

Howdy folks, this just made the news the past couple of days, and it made me think of y'all...

Three guys you've probably never heard of recently broke a speed record most people don't care about—the New York to Los Angeles run referred to colloquially among aficionados as the Cannonball. Unlike most speed records and races, there's no sanctioning body or official rules. That's because setting a Cannonball record invariably involves breaking multiple traffic laws. In other words, it's illegal. But that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Not near as fast as our boys and girls in the A* Challenge, but ya gotta admire the spirit! ;)

I've only kinda half kept track of the updates to ED the past few... uh... iterations, but what's this about super cruise assist? Is it a crutch for cutting down time, or does it just let pilots keep watching Netflix while their ship slowly guides them to their destination?

Hope everybody's doing well out there in the big black!

Last edited:
Hey ElectricZ! It's mostly for slowly letting pilots Netflix towards their destination if used usually. However if you flip it on at the last second it allows you to drop into a station perfectly from 4c, so it's banned in Buckyball Racing Club events.

Good to see you around! We had some find discussion about the new cannonball run on the discord server a couple days ago, and I'm planning Total Recall 3 for next week.😁

Howdy folks, this just made the news the past couple of days, and it made me think of y'all...

Not near as fast as our boys and girls in the A* Challenge, but ya gotta admire the spirit! ;)

I've only kinda half kept track of the updates to ED the past few... uh... iterations, but what's this about super cruise assist? Is it a crutch for cutting down time, or does it just let pilots keep watching Netflix while their ship slowly guides them to their destination?

Hope everybody's doing well out there in the big black!
What Bruski said really ... awesome to see you popping back in here EZ!

In other Buckyball news you might have missed, Frontier's new community manager Stephen Benedetti was pretty excited about racing in Elite Dangerous and started a new semi-regular livestream series called Full Throttle. The first episode featured yours truly and the Buckyball Racing Club. If I remember rightly I even remembered to pay respects to your good self! :cool:

Also, since drakhyr moved to Australasia and dropped out of ED circulation (leaving us with an unmanageable Discord server) we've started a funky new "Buckyball Racing Club 3305" Discord server (must remember to rename that next month). It's membership is now over 150 and has become quite the groovy hangout for Petrol Hydrogen Heads around the galaxy.

Do pop-in and say hi - we even have an entire channel (#past-events-ez) devoted to your legacy! :D

Oh .. and check out the new racing stripes we now have in the game!

pnZvFMv.png

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Good to see you back around these parts EZ! I can't really add any more than Alec and Bruski said, but welcome back.

So... I'm looking to help, but I need some help in order to help.

I still want to run my 'Gateway Shuffle" race concept. The problem is, I haven't found a suitable site. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

This is what I'm looking for:
1). "Gateway Shuffle" will be a scramble race. As such, the home system needs to have several neighbors with multiple starports and outposts.
2). This race is largely targeted at fighting ships, which tend to have poor jump range, so the neighbors need to be within jump ranges achievable by the Vipers, Eagles, and Fer-de-Lances of the galaxy. As a guideline, the standard-build/unengineered class for this race is almost certain to be a Viper Mk. III - with full guns, a shield generator, and a KWS equipped.
3). Outposts are OK. In fact, I prefer to have them in this kind of race, because they require a different kind of approach than starports, and I'd like this race is as much a test of realspace piloting skills as it is one of supercruise and navigation.
4). If there's a structure or megaship nearby that we can use to make our fearless racers do some kind of fancy flying, that's a bonus. Failing that, an Orbis with rings or some other kind of obstacle would be good. The intent here isn't to try to kill our participants, but it is to make them show us they can handle their ships in realspace as well as they can in supercruise!
5) I intend to add a time bonus for successfully collecting a bounty during the race (because this is Cowboy Bebop themed, and they're bounty hunters), so someplace nice and low-sec somewhere on the route would be good. Maybe even an anarchy system, to incentivize our racers to equip a KWS. The intent is for the bonus to be big enough that if a racer gets interdicted, it would be a benefit to fight rather than flee... but probably not so big that it's worth dropping by the local RES looking for pirates. Unless the local RES happens to be really convenient, at least.
6). Ideally, the hosting starport should have "Gateway" in the name. This isn't an absolute necessity, but it'd be nice for theme.

If you know of a system that meets at least most of these criteria, do let me know. Even if you're not sure it's suitable, it's worth me dropping by the system to take a look.

When I'm back in the Bubble I intend to take some time to go searching for one, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone already happened to know a good candidate.

So... I'm looking to help, but I need some help in order to help.

I still want to run my 'Gateway Shuffle" race concept. The problem is, I haven't found a suitable site. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

This is what I'm looking for:
1). "Gateway Shuffle" will be a scramble race. As such, the home system needs to have several neighbors with multiple starports and outposts.
2). This race is largely targeted at fighting ships, which tend to have poor jump range, so the neighbors need to be within jump ranges achievable by the Vipers, Eagles, and Fer-de-Lances of the galaxy. As a guideline, the standard-build/unengineered class for this race is almost certain to be a Viper Mk. III - with full guns, a shield generator, and a KWS equipped.
3). Outposts are OK. In fact, I prefer to have them in this kind of race, because they require a different kind of approach than starports, and I'd like this race is as much a test of realspace piloting skills as it is one of supercruise and navigation.
4). If there's a structure or megaship nearby that we can use to make our fearless racers do some kind of fancy flying, that's a bonus. Failing that, an Orbis with rings or some other kind of obstacle would be good. The intent here isn't to try to kill our participants, but it is to make them show us they can handle their ships in realspace as well as they can in supercruise!
5) I intend to add a time bonus for successfully collecting a bounty during the race (because this is Cowboy Bebop themed, and they're bounty hunters), so someplace nice and low-sec somewhere on the route would be good. Maybe even an anarchy system, to incentivize our racers to equip a KWS. The intent is for the bonus to be big enough that if a racer gets interdicted, it would be a benefit to fight rather than flee... but probably not so big that it's worth dropping by the local RES looking for pirates. Unless the local RES happens to be really convenient, at least.
6). Ideally, the hosting starport should have "Gateway" in the name. This isn't an absolute necessity, but it'd be nice for theme.

If you know of a system that meets at least most of these criteria, do let me know. Even if you're not sure it's suitable, it's worth me dropping by the system to take a look.

When I'm back in the Bubble I intend to take some time to go searching for one, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone already happened to know a good candidate.
Hey Rankaze, this all sounds great and we're overdue a new race so I'd definitely like to help. First off tho' I have to finish the planetary circumnavigation I'm currently doing which I reckon will take another 3 or 4 days. My daily logs are over here if you're intrigued.

Second, as you might have noticed, this forum thread is fairly quiet these days. That's because we've largely moved our base of operations over to Discord (where we now have well over a hundred members lurking in the background).

The invite to the Discord is here (if you're not already in there - sorry I ought to know that really) so head over there and say hi. We can set you up with a new channel specifically for planning your new race idea if you like.

Hey Rankaze, this all sounds great and we're overdue a new race so I'd definitely like to help. First off tho' I have to finish the planetary circumnavigation I'm currently doing which I reckon will take another 3 or 4 days. My daily logs are over here if you're intrigued.

Second, as you might have noticed, this forum thread is fairly quiet these days. That's because we've largely moved our base of operations over to Discord (where we now have well over a hundred members lurking in the background).

The invite to the Discord is here (if you're not already in there - sorry I ought to know that really) so head over there and say hi. We can set you up with a new channel specifically for planning your new race idea if you like.

I'm on it already, but I... well, let's be honest, I know next to nothing about Discord. I've used it before for voice comms during events, but that's about it.

Oh, and I should have mentioned - I'm still 20k light-years from the bubble, and I'm exploring my way back, so it'll probably take me most of a week to get back anyway, so no huge rush on it. I just wanted to ask while I was thinking about it, so if someone did happen to bounce across a suitable system they could drop me a line. :)

Crikey, this thread's fallen into disuse somewhat! (I guess that's what an active Discord server will do for you).

Anyway, thought I'd just give it a bump. Since the last post we've had three more races ...

Signs Of Life

Engineers Canyon Mayhem

The Lavecon 2020 Buckyball Race

... and I'm just gearing up to post the forum thread (tomorrow probably) for the next one (called "Keys To The Carrier") which starts on Saturday and runs for a week.

If you want to stay in the loop then the best thing is probably just to join our Discord server which you can find linked from the Buckyball Racing Club's website. There you'll find the usual crowd of speed freaks, hints, tips and tools, complete lists of all of our previous races and we even have a bot now which can search the back catalogue for races featuring specific words or phrases!

o7

Hi there

Anyone know anything about this Listening Post found at Alacarakmo 7 a yesterday, seems Black Riband related so I was wondering if it was something y'all had asked for - certainly seems related to Bruski and the Diamond Bear :)
Hi @Factabulous, the message does indeed refer to the original incarnation of my Black Riband smuggling challenge, DiamondBear was the name of Bruski's ship of one time.

The message was arranged by furrycat and one of the community reps from that time. @furrycat was @Bruski's Black Riband rival. It's actually part of a series, but I don't know if they've all been found. Furrycat said that the Lonegan's and those black ships are battling at an installation in a permit locked system (I think it's Isinor, but can't remember for sure).
He did say that part of the story might be missing from the game now, and that he's not aware of anyone uncovering the full series.

Hi @Factabulous, the message does indeed refer to the original incarnation of my Black Riband smuggling challenge, DiamondBear was the name of Bruski's ship of one time.

The message was arranged by furrycat and one of the community reps from that time. @furrycat was @Bruski's Black Riband rival. It's actually part of a series, but I don't know if they've all been found. Furrycat said that the Lonegan's and those black ships are battling at an installation in a permit locked system (I think it's Isinor, but can't remember for sure).
He did say that part of the story might be missing from the game now, and that he's not aware of anyone uncovering the full series.
Ah thanks - we've been tracking the Black Flight series (as we call it) - Isinor would be the permit locked one, and there are others out in the Pleiades. Interesting!

Top Bottom