Bug? BGS not updating system faction influence data

OK, this could get fairly involved so I apologise up front. Also, I have 7000+ hours of ED and am pretty familiar with how BGS works, so this isnt a noob question, I kinda understand what I am talking about.

Pleasantries over.

For the last 5 days I have been working on and monitoring a dozen systems on the edge of the bubble. My goal is to calibrate my BGS activity and understand how to be most efficient. Therefore, I have chosen these 12 systems as they have extremely low traffic (less than 1 ship per 24) and therefore I can be reasonably sure that any changes to influence in these systems is due to my activity.

Each day, I plan an execute a set of transaction (trades, missions, combat, star data sales etc...) and then monitor the results after the daily tick/wripple has occurred.... or at least that was my plan.

However, of my 12 systems, I only ever see updates to approx 30-40%. The remaining system (which vary on a day by day basis) appear to get missed by the daily tick, in these system all faction states and influence values remain unchanged regardless (I will address what I mean by how much below) of how much activity I have undertaken in that system. As an example:

System a) population L (14mil)

Day 1: 8 * 1m cr donations to CF in None State during one docking session - data updated correctly
Day 2: 1 * 1m cr donation to CF in None State during one docking session - data updated correctly
Day 3: 4 * 1m cr donations to CF in None State during one docking session - system data not updated

System b) population M (125k)

Day 1: 11 * supply (industry needs) missions to CF in Famine State all completed during one docking session - data updated correctly
Day 2: sale of 270t (in batches of 10t) basic meds (low demand / medium profit) to CF in None State during one docking session - system data not updated
Day 3: sale of 750t (in batches of 50t) mixture of 8 commities (all high demand / medium profit) to CF in None State during one docking session - system data not updated
Day 4: sale of 12 low value star systems data and 1 donation of 1m cr to CF in None State during one docking session - system data not updated

I have 12 examples of this, not a single system has updated consistently every day. When I say 'system data not updated' I mean none of the faction influences in that system has changed and none of the state for any of the factions changed. And when I say consistently, I am varying the activities I am undertaking, but there seems to be no pattern of why/when a system will be ignored and when it will be updated.

I have tried to consider that there may be a minimum activity threshold against which the BGS tick engine ignores systems (e.g. if insufficient activity has occurred to generate 1% influence change; or if less than 3 docking events has occurs then it may consider the system is not busy and so skips over it for BGS calculation performance reasons). However, my data is inconsistent with this - some days a system that has only had 1.1% influence change resulting from a single transaction and single docking session gets updated, but during the same day a system that had 3500t of multiple commodities sold during 5 docking sessions (visits) does not get updated.

I am calling this a bug, because, even after a system has not been updated for a day or two, when it does eventually update, it appears to ignore all activity that occurred during the days when it did not calculate.... hence, BGS Influence activity is being lost and therefore factions are not correctly reflecting the activity that is being applied to them. I can only guess that this is being repeated across all systems.

And yes, I have been very careful to ensure that the activities I am applying to systems will result in an influence change (e.g. I am not selling during combat, or doing combat during elections etc....). And yes, I have waiting a whole 24 hours after the tick (usually 4pm for me here) to see if anything would change, but it didnt.

Anyone got any thoughts? I am loath to post this to FDEV support as a) I'm not sure that they understand BGS well enough; b) I would need to write up a significant volume of data in order to explain and provide the evidence which I would guess they would demand before even considering to look into it.

I see that when the systems aren't updating, their state is listed as "None" and you're doing non-combat actions. The most likely culprit is a conflict in another system. Those show as "None" in all systems other than the one in conflict.

There's not enough information to see where the conflicts were taking place, but that's the most common reason for missed influence changes.

Sorry mate, you completely misunderstand the details of this. I fully understand about states in other systems and I am not actually talking about faction states, I am talking about influence which should be updated regardless of what is happening elsewhere.

Sorry mate, you completely misunderstand the details of this. I fully understand about states in other systems and I am not actually talking about faction states, I am talking about influence which should be updated regardless of what is happening elsewhere.

I understand. Look at your data again. Every one that hasn't updated has a state of "None". The "None" state typically means that a war or civil war is happening in another system where that faction is present.

During a war or civil war, non-combat actions have no effect on the faction in any system. So if faction A is at war in system B, trading will have no effect in system A.

I can give you examples where the state was Boom, War, Famine... as I said the sate does not appear to be a factor. And yes, I said I know about non-combat action during a war! 'And yes, I have been very careful to ensure that the activities I am applying to systems will result in an influence change (e.g. I am not selling during combat, or doing combat during elections etc....).'

I can give you examples where the state was Boom, War, Famine... as I said the sate does not appear to be a factor. And yes, I said I know about non-combat action during a war! 'And yes, I have been very careful to ensure that the activities I am applying to systems will result in an influence change (e.g. I am not selling during combat, or doing combat during elections etc....).'

If you have those, it would help to see if a problem exists. I'm just going by the examples you gave. They all suggest a war or civil war in another system. But there isn't enough data in your OP.

You can always open a ticket and see what FD says.

Deleted member 38366

D
Keep in mind very small movements are often not properly indicated in the System Map due to it rounding the Data.

i.e. 12.151% will show the same as 12.249% in the System Map : 12.2%

Manually check your Journal Files, these will contain the full accuracy Influence Data for each Faction (Example : "Influence":0.121516)

Anyone got any thoughts? I am loath to post this to FDEV support as a) I'm not sure that they understand BGS well enough; b) I would need to write up a significant volume of data in order to explain and provide the evidence which I would guess they would demand before even considering to look into it.
I posted a bug report or two related to invasion - which is obscure enough that over 99% of factions will never encounter it and it doesn't appear in most BGS guides - and they got fixed. QA seem pretty good about passing complex BGS problems up to the right people.

A single clear case of it happening would probably be sufficient.

Keep in mind very small movements are often not properly indicated in the System Map due to it rounding the Data.

i.e. 12.151% will show the same as 12.249% in the System Map : 12.2%

Manually check your Journal Files, these will contain the full accuracy Influence Data for each Faction (Example : "Influence":0.121516)

That's a possibility in system B on days 2 and 3, since trading in batches and multiple commodities from the same source was patched out. Those trades only equal 1 influence point each day. So, depending on the starting influence, it could have been masked by rounding.

But system a on day 4 is 8 points. System b on day 4 is 14 points. Even if the faction was high in influence, there should have been a notable change. That is, unless there was a non-election conflict in another system.

Deleted member 38366

D
I posted a bug report or two related to invasion - which is obscure enough that over 99% of factions will never encounter it and it doesn't appear in most BGS guides - and they got fixed. QA seem pretty good about passing complex BGS problems up to the right people.

A single clear case of it happening would probably be sufficient.

Hehe, can I channel every BGS Bug through you then, please?
I can't recount how many I documented and reported.
They either went into DEV:NUL without even a useful response after a full year or I was requested to file a (non-existing) BGS Support Ticket. Support btw. promptly redirected my to the Bug Report Forum anyway.

Hehe, can I channel every BGS Bug through you then, please?
I can't recount how many I documented and reported.
They either went into DEV:NUL without even a useful response after a full year or I was requested to file a (non-existing) BGS Support Ticket. Support btw. promptly redirected my to the Bug Report Forum anyway.

+1 virtual rep because I have to spread it around.

I've submitted two bug tickets. One was "working as intended" until FD admitted the bug months later. On the other, FD said they had no logs of it happening, even though I supplied the logs. When I come across a bug or exploit now, I just carry on and don't waste my time with FD. I've been killed due to bugs and I don't put a ticket in then either. It's just par for the course.

If you have those, it would help to see if a problem exists. I'm just going by the examples you gave. They all suggest a war or civil war in another system. But there isn't enough data in your OP.

You can always open a ticket and see what FD says.

MottiKhan,

I must apologise for being a bit 'short' earlier when you replied to my query.... I needed to take a break from looking at the problem.... and.... you were right!

It wasnt that I had forgotten to take into account the state of the faction in other systems, if I had it would have been a nice easy thing to find... Unfortunately I thought I had coded that into the spreadsheet I used to validate the activities I was going to do. BUT, I did a rooky mistake and cut&paste a formula in the spreadsheet with the result that it was referencing the status of the faction in the line above the one that I was interested in ;-(

Thank you for you patience, I guess I didnt entirely wast my time as I still got 30-40% of the data I needed, but now will need to spend another 4-5 days redoing the tests that failed.

Thank you again

PS i dont know why system b) had a two day gap in data as that doesnt align to any BGS exclusion period I can think of. However the one piece of historical data I didnt keep (well, probably a bit stupid to say the one as I expect there is alot of historical data I didnt keep) was the status of the faction in its other systems.

Last edited:
MottiKhan,

I must apologise for being a bit 'short' earlier when you replied to my query.... I needed to take a break from looking at the problem.... and.... you were right!

It wasnt that I had forgotten to take into account the state of the faction in other systems, if I had it would have been a nice easy thing to find... Unfortunately I thought I had coded that into the spreadsheet I used to validate the activities I was going to do. BUT, I did a rooky mistake and cut&paste a formula in the spreadsheet with the result that it was referencing the status of the faction in the line above the one that I was interested in ;-(

Thank you for you patience, I guess I didnt entirely wast my time as I still got 30-40% of the data I needed, but now will need to spend another 4-5 days redoing the tests that failed.

Thank you again

PS i dont know why system b) had a two day gap in data as that doesnt align to any BGS exclusion period I can think of. However the one piece of historical data I didnt keep (well, probably a bit stupid to say the one as I expect there is alot of historical data I didnt keep) was the status of the faction in its other systems.

No problems. I didn't think you were being short at all. Just asking a question and I did what I could to answer it.

We've all overlooked something in our BGS trials and tribulations. Even Jane was wrong once. (But that was only because I gave her erroneous data. Her calculations were dead on had the data I gave her been right.) :)

OP:

Please check the local news under "System Faction news" (or similar, not in game right now to get it verbatim).

It will tell you if the factions are in a conflict state elsewhere.

Top Bottom