Building a weir (and flowing water in general)

Just uploaded #5,
Building a Weir (small waterfall) #5 = a weir with an arch the water flows through

[video=youtube_share;CWWOOWzisUA]https://youtu.be/CWWOOWzisUA[/video]

Building a Beaver Dam (weir #6) = the beaver dam (albeit too green as bullethead pointed out, but there you go)...

[video=youtube_share;RWFDiBYoj6w]https://youtu.be/RWFDiBYoj6w[/video]

the series is on YouTube here.

Building a Weir (small waterfall) #1 = my first attempt, basic flat weir, a bit rubbish
Building a Weir (small waterfall) #2 = a v-notch weir - not entirely happy with it but if you're trying to do this too, it'll be useful i hope
Building a Weir (small waterfall) #3 = the log-weir that is in the waterwheel/mill shot << this one i like
Building a Weir (small waterfall) #4 = a larger log weir
Building a Weir (small waterfall) #5 = a weir with an arch the water flows through
Building a Beaver Dam (weir #6) = the beaver dam (albeit too green, but there you go)
Building a Waterfall (weir #7) = natural waterfall, which i quite like

here's the final video in the series:

[video=youtube_share;eYcZ82oVChE]https://youtu.be/eYcZ82oVChE?list=PLo268oXgE-GxW6c6fPKuGnOOh8x_k2RTb[/video]

that looks so real. its the best one you have created yet...experience and trial and error are paying off.

Good job James with all your waterfall videos. It will be great if Frontier can give us some proper waterfall tools to make large structures similar to what we had in RCT3. Apart from the raft rides, proper flowing water is lacking in the game at the moment.

that looks so real. its the best one you have created yet...experience and trial and error are paying off.

Good job James with all your waterfall videos. It will be great if Frontier can give us some proper waterfall tools to make large structures similar to what we had in RCT3. Apart from the raft rides, proper flowing water is lacking in the game at the moment.

Yeah, this one is definitely the best yet! Very nice!

thanks!
and thanks to everyone who has been watching, and put up with me taking this long to get this far...

THINGS I LOVE about the water in the game, as a result of this experiment:
* the jets, and the splashes: these are very powerful and an inspired solution for reducing the resource load of having flowing water in the game
* the splashes allow us to position precisely the effects that matter, and the game does not have to simulate every possible nuance of water flow
* the way the "rough" water surface actually moves up and down in waves; OMG who made all that happen!? genius!
* the reflections, and wind patterns on the surface - beautiful

Possible improvements:
* the water placement tool could flare red at the exact point that is preventing the placement
* there could be a couple more water splash patterns, and a pattern that creates the "sheet of water" effect when water flows over a linear edge
* a special effect, or better yet an option, that ignores gravity; so that we can create angled or horizontal flows

coasterbuff, i now wonder, if we could get that last suggestion, whether more complex waterfall tools would NOT be needed.
the special effect tools would allow people to create blueprints of almost any complex waterfall, and optimise them to reduce resource load.
we could create some amazing beautiful blueprints and would not need full water physics at all.

the only "show stopper" in my experiments was the horizontal flows - i couldn't do it without spamming the jets, which kills the frame rate.
so that one suggestion would really set us free, and we could make any waterfall you like!

Top Bottom