Bulk Sale Fee? Hidden Tax For Traders?

Would be helpful if the dev's explained what the "bulk sale fee" is that was mentioned in the Founders thread. It sounds like anyone trading a certain amount of cargo is being hit with credit charges - unless they are a founder. Would explain why many of us see trade profits decline after each trip yet the demand numbers remain high.

Dev's: can you help clarify what exactly this "bulk sale fee" is? Thanks!

Would be helpful if the dev's explained what the "bulk sale fee" is that was mentioned in the Founders thread. It sounds like anyone trading a certain amount of cargo is being hit with credit charges - unless they are a founder. Would explain why many of us see trade profits decline after each trip yet the demand numbers remain high.

As far as I remember, this is a way to minimize profit effects of huge bulk sales of cargo at once. Idea is that you haul 200 canisters of cargo to station where demand is medium. Station still can "eat up" all cargo, however with all these canisters around they are less willing to pay listen price.

Imagine this as delivering huge cargo to station makes market temporary decrease selling price for delivered goods.

Michael Brookes

Game Director

It's a mechanism used to aid price balancing for low demand, high value goods to reduce the impact of flooding markets with those goods.

Michael

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a set limit for where this fee kicks in and does it scale? Just trying to understand how this affects migrating to larger ships.

Guess this explains why some of us quickly see profits decline when trying to work a route while others don't. It appears to affect items that are in medium and high demand at stations. Also guess this means that non-founders will have to constantly look for new trade runs or change strategy to look at other options than working one route back and forth.

(Unfortunately since this was never communicated openly before this feels like a hidden penalty kinda like the sudden wear & tear charges. And one more thing to work against players to require yet more grinding. Oh well. It's your game, your rules.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a set limit for where this fee kicks in and does it scale? Just trying to understand how this affects migrating to larger ships.

Guess this explains why some of us quickly see profits decline when trying to work a route while others don't. It appears to affect items that are in medium and high demand at stations. Also guess this means that non-founders will have to constantly look for new trade runs or change strategy to look at other options than working one route back and forth.

(Unfortunately since this was never communicated openly before this feels like a hidden penalty kinda like the sudden wear & tear charges. And one more thing to work against players to require yet more grinding. Oh well. It's your game, your rules.)

You know it also feels like those 5bill winners are now laughing even harder, as they will never have money issues, I love having to work hard at getting new parts for a ship, but I would love even more if the new ship came with scaling missions/rewards, BEFORE these little penalties are put in place, sort out the core mechanics first then seek some sort of solution for too fast advancement/longetivity of the game/player

You know it also feels like those 5bill winners are now laughing even harder, as they will never have money issues, I love having to work hard at getting new parts for a ship, but I would love even more if the new ship came with scaling missions/rewards, BEFORE these little penalties are put in place, sort out the core mechanics first then seek some sort of solution for too fast advancement/longetivity of the game/player
They won't be laughing for long seeing as earning money makes up 90% of Elite, having all the cash in the galaxy means they've only got 10% left of the game to play, I doubt they'll still be logging in in a week or so from boredom...

They won't be laughing for long seeing as earning money makes up 90% of Elite, having all the cash in the galaxy means they've only got 10% left of the game to play, I doubt they'll still be logging in in a week or so from boredom...

this is true, but you missing the main point, penalising THE BEST way of ensuring you have enough insurance to cover before progressing to a better ship (for what ever reason) makes no sense, especially when they could focus in other areas before doing this.

Your right tho, they will be bored and out till the patch for landing comes out, I personally am keeping my asp and gonna buy a cobra or viper after work and have some fun hunting, im don with traing and want too see more missions where the give permits, try and make my own story up

QUOTE]

Premium beta backer here. I've had low demand/supply runs decline where there were few other active CMDRS so I'm not sure this is the case.

It's a black box, and the player can't figure it out with the limited info FD give out. The same as most of the other mechanisms regarding how the economy works.

Instead of nebulous phrases, FD would be much better providing an example of how this works.

I'm not sure I'm understanding how this works.

For example I am selling Cargo YXY for 1000 Profit (at least that's what I'm expecting). Usually I only click once and check the profit: 1000. Okay. Now sell all 216 tons of YXY.

How does this bulk sale fee work? Do I need to whip out the pocket calculator and double-check the final profit of all 216 tons before I hit "SELL"?

I'm not sure I'm understanding how this works.

For example I am selling Cargo YXY for 1000 Profit (at least that's what I'm expecting). Usually I only click once and check the profit: 1000. Okay. Now sell all 216 tons of YXY.

How does this bulk sale fee work? Do I need to whip out the pocket calculator and double-check the final profit of all 216 tons before I hit "SELL"?

It's kinda like this...
I want 50 items and I'm willing to pay 20k for each of them
You turn up with 2,000 of the bloody things, well i'll pay 20k for the first 50 but I'm not paying that price for the rest of them, i'll give you 15k per tonne instead.
-
If you flood a market the demand (and prices) drop, it's basic economics.

It's kinda like this...
You turn up with 2,000 of the bloody things, well i'll pay 20k for the first 50 but I'm not paying that price for the rest of them, i'll give you 15k per tonne instead.
-

Except it doesn't work like that. Subsequent selling price may drop. But if you sell 50 or 500, the price in that transaction is the price that is shown on the screen...

It's kinda like this...
-

That wouldn't be a problem, more of a penalty for oversupplying a market........

....... but 2000 of them? What in the name of Leathery Eggs are you flying?

G

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Except it doesn't work like that. Subsequent selling price may drop. But if you sell 50 or 500, the price in that transaction is the price that is shown on the screen...

So you either detail a fee when you get into oversupply, or only allow you to satisfy demand at that price bracket. Then your next are sold at whatever new price is offered.

G

so artificially altering the market so you can't flood a market? what is the point of having a fluctuating market then? and for the love of cthulu can someone say where the goalposts are, so we can at leat work out where they were before you move them again

Im doing a regular run and the Gold price is 10,306 sell price when I leave the station. When I return with the Gold, 500 tons of it, the sell price changes to 10,300 sometimes 10,299.

Dark Lord - yep, truly the extent of our impact on the living breathing universe... The supply even resets after a little while and doesn't reflect all the product you've been supplying...

Top Bottom