Bullies... FDev, would you mind?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Complaining about "bullies"... I do prefer to call them "frustrated small organs" is as pointless as stating that they're part of the game...

At some point, the system should max out the consequences for them... like being targeted by every security / police / military NPCs, maxed out bounty with no possibility to pay it also sticking as long as the person doesn't start a character from scratch, ship ID recorded... well like in real life.

So the only way for them to be part of the game, is to play in a real pirate faction or to stick to the law.

I'll explain:
- If a bully got blocked by 1 player, it gets 1 ban point;

you haven't thought this over very well, did you?

you were upset, it's understandable. you want to see the world burn. but not only is this an utterly bad solution (as in sick nonsese levels of bad, first thing after implementing this a few of us should all block you right away and ban you permanently from open so you understood why), you're even trying to address the wrong problem.

Then you're either not aware of how block functions, or it's implications.

If you block someone, you prevent matchmaking from pairing your CMDR with theirs. This will keep you from dropping into an instance they occupy, no matter who else is also in that instance. It will also force the one you blocked into a different instance than yours, no matter who else is in there instance, and matchmaking will continue to pair people with them, which indirectly removes some of them from your instance.

Everyone is someone's 'at' and "ats" aren't going to be the only people in the instances you are excluded from and you won't only exclude 'ats', you'll excluded everyone matchmaking paired with them.

Take I think he's one of the scummiest players possible (no offense intended), and that his presence in my game is clear negative to someone who wants to play a clean game with as little out-of-character/context interference as possible. But maybe is your best friend, and maybe you don't have any problem with my CMDR, who minds his own business, never carries an interdictor, rarely fires unless fired upon, and is generally polite in chat.

So, lets say I've blocked (something I'd never do, of course), but you are in the same instance as my CMDR. In this case, you'll never see , because I don't like him. Not even him being in your wing would be strong enough of a matchmaking weight to override my block, and he would not be able to drop into our instance. If we are likely to be matched with eachother, which would be the case if we were in geographical proximity, or even if you had encountered my CMDR before (just being instanced with someone applies a positive weight to future instancing), my CMDR could quite frequently be matched with yours, and you may be left quite frustrated by not being able to play with those I've blocked, or those who have been paired with them via the arcane fiat of the matchmaking server.

Every block is a potential imposition on everyone else, and an overt imposition on everyone that finds their character matched with yours.
All of this may be true.... But i am continually told that the spirit of the game is irrelevant all that matters is what is mechanically allowed. If it is fair game to ram players to avoid police response, to block pads at a orbital platform , to swap sides in a CZ in the middle of a warzone, or to do any other of the tricks done by emergent gameplay folk then equally using the block function and menulogging surely falls in the same boat? Not something I do of course but what is good for the Goose etc.
I agree it sucks for some caught in the crossfire and that is unfortunate but if kill everything that moves regardless of what size/faction/etc is valid role play then reverse ironman sounds just as good to me.
FD banning them is interesting... It doesn't fit with the game we have now BUT in the design plan FD were going to implement hell mode... A mode where after your Cmdr hit a certain negative level they were automatically instanced with other like minded players

Last edited by a moderator:
All of this may be true.... But in continually told that the spirit of the game is irrelevant all that matters is what is mechanically allowed. If it is fair game to ram players to avoid police response, to block pads at a orbital platform , to swap sides in a CZ in the middle of a warzone, or to do any other of the tricks done by emergent gameplay folk then equally using the block function and menulogging surely falls in the same boat? Not something I do of course but what is good for the Goose etc.

Sure, blatant abuse of ill conceived mechanisms fall under the same broad problem.

I've always been in favor of mechanisms that discourage or prevent blatantly context defying behavior. However, piling on counter oddities, and worse, putting them in the hands of players who are not held to any standards regarding their use (making them equally ripe for abuse), is not helping things.

Being tagged as a notorious pirate by every regular in law faction and killed on sight by them as long as you approach station / outpost and places they control isn't new in this type of game and also the most viable response.

You want to be the "bad guy", no problem, assume going alone and out of civilized sectors.

Sure, blatant abuse of ill conceived mechanisms fall under the same broad problem.

I've always been in favor of mechanisms that discourage or prevent blatantly context defying behavior. However, piling on counter oddities, and worse, putting them in the hands of players who are not held to any standards regarding their use (making them equally ripe for abuse), is not helping things.
I would love to see FD clamp down and make the game work more plausibly with actions having proper consequences.... And at that point maybe the block function won't be needed..... But FD need to put the horse before the cart (if it isn't beaten to death) and fix the cause before blocking the counter.... I no longer believe FD have either the will or the ability to fix it.

I would love to see FD clamp down and make the game work more plausibly with actions having proper consequences.... And at that point maybe the block function won't be needed..... But FD need to put the horse before the cart (if it isn't beaten to death) and fix the cause before blocking the counter.... I no longer believe FD have either the will or the ability to fix it.

Blocking doesn't counter implausibility, it exaggerates it. This would be the case if people were only using it in an attempt to counter the behavior you are referring to, which is clearly not the limits of it's utility.

Deleted member 182079

D
Yes, there are... Open is for playing the meta. If you're not wanting to play the meta, Open is the wrong mode to choose.
Meta is only important if you want to be competitive (i.e. beat other players). I play in Open almost all the time, hardly any of my ships are pure PvP boats, most are in fact PvE focused because that's how I play the game - still zero kills vs other PvPers under my belt, although I came close a while back winning a 1v1 in a CZ, until the other side hi-waked fair and square - but they can withstand player attacks easily. They're by no means meta builds though (and I don't own a FdL at all for example).

Meta is only important if you want to be competitive (i.e. beat other players). I play in Open almost all the time, hardly any of my ships are pure PvP boats, most are in fact PvE focused because that's how I play the game - still zero kills vs other PvPers under my belt, although I came close a while back winning a 1v1 in a CZ, until the other side hi-waked fair and square - but they can withstand player attacks easily. They're by no means meta builds though (and I don't own a FdL at all for example).
Sure, play whatever mode you like for whatever reasons. I play Open sometimes for the fun of it and played in it exclusively for the first year or so, and I'm far from using PVP meta optimized builds these past 4 years.

The meta is more than just PVP, but that is a relevant part of it. If you're choosing to play in Open, you're choosing to play within the meta, whether or not you've optimized for it.

I'm just stating what the mode is. Open isn't the "real" mode of the game some make it out to be like I used to.

Personally speaking, I generally prefer more demanding and exacting play styles than the cheese that Open and the meta seems to cater to, but to each their own.

Last edited:
If a dope like me can figure out how to hack it in open, then I have hope for everyone. It takes far less than you might think to handle yourself.

Instead of complaining to Fdev to change the game to suit your personal needs, consider using the resources available provided in-game, as well as the wealth of knowledge available to you. Six years of combined knowledge has to be worth something. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask.

It worked for me, it worked for countless others. I don’t see why it can’t work for you, too.

I understand there are other modes, and the block function— we’ve all been down that road a million times— but OP seems to have interest in being part of the community in open. If he wants to join in, he’s gonna have to make adjustments, and that’s a simple fact. Whether it’s hardening his ship, or paying closer attention to the sensor panel. The other option is death, and he doesn’t seem too fond of that.

Being tagged as a notorious pirate by every regular in law faction and killed on sight by them as long as you approach station / outpost and places they control isn't new in this type of game and also the most viable response.

You want to be the "bad guy", no problem, assume going alone and out of civilized sectors.

This assumes a valuation of human life at odds with the world of the game.

Its also a naked bid to discourage game play you don't like to push open to be more pve focused.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom