Burning stations - fire spreads to mission servers

So I was at one of the burning stations - Bruce's, actually - and at about nine o'clock the mission servers started to struggle.

Normally this would be a complaint but I'm actually quite impressed that the CMs have managed to drum up enough interest to cause problems - well done!

I was, as always, in Solo, but I did notice that system chat was very busy. And that the system was by no means bereft of Fleet Carriers. Yes, they've definitely done well.

Same thing running rescues this evening - mission servers started playing up at 8:50 pm.

I usually play in the late afternoon and rarely see anything like this; is it usual for the mission servers to struggle in the evenings?

Or could it be something to do with the fact that station rescues involve taking an unusually high number of missions?

All the missions on the support ship are no more; they've been gone for a very long time. Only missions on the burning stations are passengers.

All the salvage missions and the like disappeared a while back, for no explicable reason. @Dominic Corner might know I guess?

I remember when the first burning stations were a thing, these missions were a way-too-easy way to get materials and data rewards, so the rewards got slashed to less than 100k per mission. That was fine, but why all the supply/salvage missions got removed, yeah, no idea :/

I think Salvage mission returned towards the end - but I'd have to look at my logs to be sure (they did come & go)

Edit: By 'towards the end' I mean 'many months ago', not the end of today :)

I watched a CMDR Plater video yesterday in which he pointed out that if you're using the burning station missions to increase Imperial rank, you should be focussing on the low-number rescue missions and taking as many of those as possible to maximise rep earned per trip.

Now I wasn't doing that; I was there purely to role-play a rescuer, so I was taking the high-number missions first to maximise efficiency. But I could see how, if enough people were rank-grinding and taking as many missions as possible, it could lead to a high load on the mission servers at peak evening playing time.

All the missions on the support ship are no more; they've been gone for a very long time. Only missions on the burning stations are passengers.

All the salvage missions and the like disappeared a while back, for no explicable reason. @Dominic Corner might know I guess?

I remember when the first burning stations were a thing, these missions were a way-too-easy way to get materials and data rewards, so the rewards got slashed to less than 100k per mission. That was fine, but why all the supply/salvage missions got removed, yeah, no idea :/
It's a pity, as is was a fun challenge to scour the burning station for escape pods without melting or overstaying your welcome. Although they were a bit of a noob trap, as iirc you get fined for launching collector limpets inside the station, which would prevent you from loading passengers if you did it on the way in. At any rate, the rewards offered from the Search & Rescue contact are really too low to bother with that now.

That said, burning stations are still good for rank grinding, and become a very decent source of mission rewards once they go into repair, since all the factions will spam source missions for the same few repair commodities.

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier

Hi there,

There was a slight hiccough but they should be back now.

Thanks,
Dom

It's crazy that the stations issue fines for using collector limpits whilst they are on fire... You'd think they would just be happy you're trying to rescue them. I had to swoop low to avoid debris and got a pd loitering warning... Really? I've come in here to rescue people and you're going to shoot me for dodging the debris? Breaks the narrative a little when the station is still behaving like nothing is wrong even whilst it burns. One of my wingmates got a reckless flying fine foe boosting out of the slot before his ship exploded...

Hi there,

There was a slight hiccough but they should be back now.

Thanks,
Dom
1600121371027.png

Hoorj!

Well I'm enjoying salvaging these stations and rescuing people. I can easily make over a million credits in just minutes, and it's fun, too (especially in VR). There's also plenty of materials just floating around. I haven't paid much attention to how good they are, but one can always trade!

Well I'm enjoying salvaging these stations and rescuing people. I can easily make over a million credits in just minutes, and it's fun, too (especially in VR). There's also plenty of materials just floating around. I haven't paid much attention to how good they are, but one can always trade!
My only grievance is i wish running these missions/ evacuating people was part of the mechanism to send a station from damaged to repair... or even skip the repair state if enough is done.

It takes the wind out of the sails knowing, like clockwork, it'll become "repair" at the thargsday tick, regardless of what you do.

Unless FD has something planned ofc.

I just tried the passenger missions for the first time ever.. they're alright, but shame i missed out on when you could do them for credits. Like a nice temporal alternative...

Where are the salvaging items? Just floating around?

Hmmm, yeah for sure i can imagine that before everyone knew the thargoid story was going to be abandoned they would have been great role play.

I just tried the passenger missions for the first time ever.. they're alright, but shame i missed out on when you could do them for credits. Like a nice temporal alternative...

Where are the salvaging items? Just floating around?

Hmmm, yeah for sure i can imagine that before everyone knew the thargoid story was going to be abandoned they would have been great role play.
Yeah, it's all floating inside the station. My usual mo is:
  • request docking and enter toaster.
  • pop four collectors and heat sinks until everything is scooped.
  • dock and load up with passengers
  • go to rescue ship and unload passengers, feed cargo to missions.

Again... lack of payout would be fine, if only it actually contributed to helping the station. Its really just flavour atm, with the nerfed rewards.

Again... lack of payout would be fine, if only it actually contributed to helping the station. Its really just flavour atm, with the nerfed rewards.

Inside the burning station? Really? Thanks for the tip. See i added 3 heatsink launchers to the beluga just to be sure, but no collector controllers. Sounds pretty fun though. Did you also get a fine for doing that?

Inside the burning station? Really? Thanks for the tip. See i added 3 heatsink launchers to the beluga just to be sure, but no collector controllers. Sounds pretty fun though. Did you also get a fine for doing that?
Nope. Just request docking and ensure you stay clear of docking pads.

And yeah, it is fun. Occasionslly an explosion will spud you into the side of the station... sadly the biggest risk that poses is a fine, rather than ship / cargo loss. But still... that along with
  • no-crcr transportation of large volumes of thargoid materials;
  • hijack missions; and
  • megaship turret destruction

... are my favourite activities. Though raid- scenarios on megaships and outposts where you need to crack hatches and disable power generators are a close second.

Last edited:
So I was at one of the burning stations - Bruce's, actually - and at about nine o'clock the mission servers started to struggle.

Normally this would be a complaint but I'm actually quite impressed that the CMs have managed to drum up enough interest to cause problems - well done!

I was, as always, in Solo, but I did notice that system chat was very busy. And that the system was by no means bereft of Fleet Carriers. Yes, they've definitely done well.

Smile...

Just goes to show how starved the ED community is for narrative driven game play! I even did one passenger run at my local burning station! The CGs are so welcome back because we so need this narrative driven game play!

So it's safe to use collectors inside the station? Or do you pop them outside and drag them in behind you? Do you not get fined for deploying them inside?

Top Bottom