Buying storage FC in Feb 3307

I've had one since day 1 and I love it. I have all the services except for Secure Warehouse. It carries all my ships (10) , spare modules (117) and 18k of tritium. I have never looked into it but do I have to have shipyard and outfitting to carry my 10 ships and modules? I don't sell anything.

I understand that bare "storage FC" costs 22 million/month as calculated on https://cmdrs-toolbox.com/fleet-carrier-calculator + 100.000 per jump + fuel.
What I'd like is to hear from FC owners who use it in similar way, does such way make any sense, were you sorry after some time you bought it, how you used it... just a few casual "storage stories" and a bit of advice to give me a push in this direction. I really can't afford (RL time) to equip it and provide services like some Pro FC owners here.

Thank you!

I'm about double that exploring the far reaches, around 10-12m a week, including jumps. I don't have all services, and I certainly don't have a shipyard, I wouldn't have a market if it was possible to not have it, that's just annoying.

@OP The only services that I think are a "must" are Repair, Refuel and Armory (for the limpets), which increases upkeep to 9.5m per week. If you're an explorer, Universal Cartographics is probably worthwhile. Park your carrier next to a Platinum hotspot and you'll make enough to pay a month's upkeep in an hour. Mine for a weekend and your dues are paid all year.

I'm just using mine as a mobile base -- it's so nice always having my ships and modules at hand no matter where I am (especially useful to camp an Engineer planet and get all your ships engineered at once). I don't sell any commodities and buy only Tritium. Because I'm a dork, I've painted mine a wicked red and gold color scheme to reflect my ancestral coat-of-arms, 3 golden battle axes on a shield of crimson.

Not to hijack your thread but a quick question since we're talking carriers. When selected as the destination, why does the carrier hologram not rotate to reflect its orientation relative to your ship the way stations do?

Last edited:
I just throw it in the carrier and put it up for sale. It disappears and credits arrive.

interesting. who buys it, actual players or does the bgs siphon it slowly away?

if players ... who might be interested in buying mined stuff, except tritium?

Key thing is not to mark up too much. You can make more money per ton if you take it to the market yourself but letting someone else to do that let's them take the risk and they get more profit per ton than they can ever get from mining one BGS market to another. I've seen carriers recently, still selling mined good for highest prices in galaxy. Drop em blossom, it's all about turn over and not holding on to dead stock.

I think it has to be players. It's not just mined stuff though; who on earth buys Thargoid tissue samples?

I've never bothered to sit down with pen & paper to work out my actual Carrier costs.

I have my Carrier in-tow while I'm in the black Exploring.
I definitely know that selling my Exploration data on my own Carrier pays way, way, WAY more credits each week than what the maintainence costs are - & I'm up to around 22mil/wk now.

Only thing I need to do is offset in part or whole the cost of re-filling the Carrier with Tritium for the next venture.
By Mining in Metallic Rings in Platinum hotspots as I come across them, I scoop up Platinum & Osmium, to sell at around 285k+/ton & 250k+/ton resp. when I return to the bubble.
This goes a long way to paying for Tritium & actually making some profit when running a Carrier, depending on how many hotspots I can hit.

When I bought my Carrier last June I had 18.5bil credits to play with.
Now I have approx 12bil in my account + 1bil in the Carrier account, having spent between 7-8bil on my Carrier & services.

While it's not currently making me huge profits, which I wasn't buying one for, it's certainly not sucking away all my credits either.

Though I still think the price of Tritium is far too high for what it is as a commidity - a fuel, as long as Frontier don't nerf the Mining or subsequent selling prices of at least a couple of the Mined materials, to allow cmdr's to offset the high inflated Tritium prices, I'll be happy to continue running a Carrier.

I know I have posted this elsewhere but I simply don't get the worry about the money. By the time you are at the point that you can afford a carrier, you have surely reached the point that making even a 30m a week upkeep is easily possible in one play session. This isn't like that point in the game where you have just managed to make enough money to purchase the Krait but are considering holding out for the Python, that agonising decision that, in my case, took months to get to (I went with the Python).

I also don't understand the 'passive fees' objection. Again, for those that have been playing a while, making 100,000,000 is not a month long venture. I can do that easily, in fact, doing massacre missions for a week, I bet you earn that passively from all the extra you get from the bounties you cash in on top of the mission payments.

The one thing I sort of understand is the time constraints. You've been playing for years, accumulated a lot of money, you can afford a carrier but now you only get to play one or two hours a week, whilst the upkeep may not be a problem, certainly jumping the carrier and refilling its tanks with Trit is going eat up a lot of your playing time.

In conclusion, if you play a couple of hours a day and you have the money, get one. If you can only play a couple hours a week, I wouldn't bother.

Deleted member 182079

D
I've had one since day 1 and I love it. I have all the services except for Secure Warehouse. It carries all my ships (10) , spare modules (117) and 18k of tritium. I have never looked into it but do I have to have shipyard and outfitting to carry my 10 ships and modules? I don't sell anything.
In case you're not aware, you only need the shipyard and outfitting services installed if you want to 1) sell either from your carrier (uses a lot of cargo space) and/or 2) you want other players to store their ships or modules (beyond the one they're flying at the time).

If it's just for your own stuff you don't need either, and removing them will not only free up credits and space, but also reduce upkeep and Tritium usage.

Deleted member 182079

D
I know I have posted this elsewhere but I simply don't get the worry about the money. By the time you are at the point that you can afford a carrier, you have surely reached the point that making even a 30m a week upkeep is easily possible in one play session. This isn't like that point in the game where you have just managed to make enough money to purchase the Krait but are considering holding out for the Python, that agonising decision that, in my case, took months to get to (I went with the Python).

I also don't understand the 'passive fees' objection. Again, for those that have been playing a while, making 100,000,000 is not a month long venture. I can do that easily, in fact, doing massacre missions for a week, I bet you earn that passively from all the extra you get from the bounties you cash in on top of the mission payments.

The one thing I sort of understand is the time constraints. You've been playing for years, accumulated a lot of money, you can afford a carrier but now you only get to play one or two hours a week, whilst the upkeep may not be a problem, certainly jumping the carrier and refilling its tanks with Trit is going eat up a lot of your playing time.

In conclusion, if you play a couple of hours a day and you have the money, get one. If you can only play a couple hours a week, I wouldn't bother.
Yeah, the upkeep is actually a nice motivator for me to run some missions or go mining a little (Tritium much more so though as I barely notice upkeep expense beyond the weekly summary message via comms). I have all the ships I want with all the outfitting I want, so there's otherwise no real reason to earn more.

And rebuys aren't frequent enough (certainly not for my big expensive ships) despite playing in Open.

Yeah, the upkeep is actually a nice motivator for me to run some missions or go mining a little (Tritium much more so though as I barely notice upkeep expense beyond the weekly summary message via comms). I have all the ships I want with all the outfitting I want, so there's otherwise no real reason to earn more.

And rebuys aren't frequent enough (certainly not for my big expensive ships) despite playing in Open.
I agree. Knowing that credits are flowing out makes earning credits mean something again. There's some realism in needing credits to maintain your assets too.

I have a FC on 2 of my accounts. Both have 'paid' for themselves (as one raised the finance to buy the 2nd in 6 days!) and weekly upkeep is trivial enough to make just doing an hour in a Haz Res, or a couple of missions - not that I have to as there is sufficient in the FC 'bank' to make the next year's payments.

Even tritium isn't an issue bar the little jaunts to and from Colonia, if not in a hurry it can be mined along the way anyway.

Is it worth owning one, even with the associated 'costs'? Very much so, they actually permit 'free rein' with one's imagination, is there anything more one could ask for?

Deleted member 182079

D
I have a FC on 2 of my accounts. Both have 'paid' for themselves (as one raised the finance to buy the 2nd in 6 days!) and weekly upkeep is trivial enough to make just doing an hour in a Haz Res, or a couple of missions - not that I have to as there is sufficient in the FC 'bank' to make the next year's payments.

Even tritium isn't an issue bar the little jaunts to and from Colonia, if not in a hurry it can be mined along the way anyway.

Is it worth owning one, even with the associated 'costs'? Very much so, they actually permit 'free rein' with one's imagination, is there anything more one could ask for?
I swore to myself that I would never bother with a FC for my alt account (reset it several times already, currently Novice rank with 2 ships, Cobra 3 & Krait 2, and 10m credits in the bank iirc).

As I'm not planning to purchase Odyssey for it I'm thinking how to utilise it in the future - I don't want to build up a massive fleet (thus copying my main's playstyle, not interested in that) but if it had a FC I could use it as a 'ferryman' for various purposes... Hmmm! Though gathering 5bn for it would take a while, but I guess I'm not really in a rush there.

Lol, interesting how no one warned us tightwads about when during a week to purchase a FC!

It's after Thursday 7.00 UTC, right? When the server ticks and there's no upkeep until next week ;) Every cent counts!

Lol, interesting how no one warned us tightwads about when during a week to purchase a FC!

It's after Thursday 7.00 UTC, right? When the server ticks and there's no upkeep until next week ;) Every cent counts!
I purchased mine on a Thursday afternoon. I also remember that there were a couple of times that they filled the Trit tanks for nothing, I was able to work out when that was going to happen so ran mine dry and received 2 full tanks for gratis. Ace.

I purchased mine on a Thursday afternoon. I also remember that there were a couple of times that they filled the Trit tanks for nothing, I was able to work out when that was going to happen so ran mine dry and received 2 full tanks for gratis. Ace.
Wasn't that last year when FDev messed up Trit hotspots while nerfing Painite, leaving Cmdrs with no way to refuel?
GJ leaving tanks empty back then.

Top Bottom