Can someone explain this to me?!?

WHY do I need to deploy hardpoints to use my KWS and wake scanners?

This irritates me to no end for multiple reasons. First, if a person is dumb and not paying attention (sheepishly raises hands), it's very easy to accidentally shoot the person you are trying to scan, you know, if the triggers aren't set to the scanner fire group...

Second, it makes for a very threatening stance when someone is doing totally "legal" work outside a station like scanning ships for bounties or scanning wakes. We all know that a hollow triangle outside a station means trouble.

Third, it ruins a stealth build because deploying weapons (whether you use them or not) greatly increases power draw, and thus ship temperature. For someone who likes to do "Boba Fett" bounty hunting (hiding behind a station while scanning ships), this can be a game-changer. Sure, one can manually turn on and off weapons from the module panel, but....

WHY ON EARTH IS THIS EVEN REQUIRED?

My scanners are clearly visible on the outside of my hull - nothing to deploy. I can use a variety of other tools - chaff, heatsinks, "honk", etc. as part of a fire group without deploying hardpoints. Is this a bug? Should I report it as such?

As long as I'm asking questions related to bounty hunting (true hunting, not RES fishing), I've got a couple of related questions. If a KWS scan of an unwanted ship comes up positive for bounties in a different jurisdiction, can I legally fire on that ship in any jurisdiction once the scan is confirmed? Also, are NPCs ever wanted on other systems while being clean in the current system? This is surprisingly common with players, but I've yet to see this with an NPC. That said, PvP bounty hunting can be a lot of fun. I'd just like to be able to do the "hunting" part a bit more discretely, which the deploy hardpoints "bug" makes difficult.

I think it's to do with power priorities, when deployed it uses more energy vs retracted!

If that's the case, seems kinda dumb to me. My shield boosters use way more power than my scanners, yet they are not tied to hardpoint deployment. Ironically boosting power to shields is much more tied to combat (deploying weapons) than scanning wakes and warrants at a station...

If a KWS scan of an unwanted ship comes up positive for bounties in a different jurisdiction, can I legally fire on that ship in any jurisdiction once the scan is confirmed? Also, are NPCs ever wanted on other systems while being clean in the current system? This is surprisingly common with players, but I've yet to see this with an NPC.

Ironically I found out the answers later today by spotting my first clean NPC with a KWS warrant in a different system. Unfortunately, shooting at this NPC in a system he's not wanted in got ME wanted, and also shot at by the station :eek:

I guess this makes sense, as the same thing happens when NPC bounty hunters follow me into friendly space - they go from clean to wanted and security shows up to protect me.

Still, could be fun and warranted (haha) PvP.

Isn't it rather because they are mounted on the tiny hardpoints (utility points)?
Yep the utility points were called "tiny hard" points, they have to be enabled and now you have to swap modes to use them as well... they also need a Weapon load out placement as well... no instant activation key map unlike Heat sink or chaff usage...

Isn't it rather because they are mounted on the tiny hardpoints (utility points)?
But they are already deployed, all the time. In fact chaff actually retracts during supercruise, but my scanner antennas are always out, so why do I need to deploy weapons in order to use these? It makes zero sense.

But they are already deployed, all the time. In fact chaff actually retracts during supercruise, but my scanner antennas are always out, so why do I need to deploy weapons in order to use these? It makes zero sense.
Chaffs don't need targeting computer... Scanners do.. targeting computer is only enabled on deployed units... so you have to deploy and power them...
Wake scanner and KWS are fired at the target and directed at targets there not constantly active as they dont have a target...

Chaffs don't need targeting computer... Scanners do.. targeting computer is only enabled on deployed units... so you have to deploy and power them...
Wake scanner and KWS are fired at the target and directed at targets there not constantly active as they dont have a target...

The composition scanner is also "fired" (huh?) at a target and directed at targets, no need to deploy weapons. You all are grasping at straws to try to explain a dumb game mechanic. That's like saying a cop needs to unholster and point his firearm at me to use his radar detector and call in my license plate for ID....

I'm not buying it. Though I will give you A for effort (your explanation is the closest thing to "reasonable" I've seen so far). Still..

Last edited:
The composition scanner is also "fired" (huh?) at a target and directed at targets, no need to deploy weapons. You all are grasping at straws to try to explain a dumb game mechanic. That's like saying a cop needs to unholster and point his firearm at me to use his radar detector and call in my license plate for ID....

I'm not buying it. Though I will give you A for effort (your explanation is the closest thing to "reasonable" I've seen so far). Still..

You are right, it's stupid. Probably a leftover from early game code that was never changed because nobody bothered or out of fear that it might break.

The curious fact is that we can launch surface probes without deploying hardpoints...

... I got you all now...

LOL, yes! Though I might be able to one-up you. Going back to power consumption (one of my OP complaints for having to deploy HPs), why does my cargo hatch require more power than my space-warping Frame Shift Drive? The cargo hatch should use the least amount of power in the ship! It's a DOOR....

LOL, yes! Though I might be able to one-up you. Going back to power consumption (one of my OP complaints for having to deploy HPs), why does my cargo hatch require more power than my space-warping Frame Shift Drive? The cargo hatch should use the least amount of power in the ship! It's a DOOR....
I agree why would it use that much power when not actually opening or closing

I agree why would it use that much power when not actually opening or closing

This one's simple.
Since you're flying alone without a crew, there's nobody there to put the bolt across when the hatch closes so the motors need to be constantly engaged otherwise all your stuff would fall out :ROFLMAO:

It's probably the same door like they used on the Heart of Gold.

This one's simple.
Since you're flying alone without a crew, there's nobody there to put the bolt across when the hatch closes so the motors need to be constantly engaged otherwise all your stuff would fall out :ROFLMAO:

Even if "motors / magnetic locks hold the door shut" was the case (it's not, since my cargo hatch is deactivated 99% of the time), I as a human can open and close even a big barn door with my own strength. I cannot, however, punch a hole in the space-time continuum with my fist to instantly travel to a distant world. Yet the cargo door requires more power than my A-rated engineered FSD...

But.... at least I don't need to activate it in order to use my KWS :p

I'm on PC and noticed that if chased by pirates (NPC or otherwise), hitting the chaff boost boost boost jump also included one other step prior to "jump" and that was hitting "U" to retract the weapons since the "chaff" was on one of my fire groups (typically mouse button 2). I found under options I could bind "chaff" with my letter "V" key. Now I can V+TAB+TAB+TAB+J and not have to retract weapons because using V for chaff means I never actually deployed weapons.

I'm sure that the KWS can be bound to a key the same way so that hitting it doesn't add deploying weapons at the same time. Did the same for shield cell and heat sinks.

Not sure how this works on XBOX or PS4.

This one's simple.

You've not heard of self latching locks.... my front door even has one back here in 21st century :unsure:

Top Bottom