Can someone explain to me howthis works?

Tip: I run passenger missions with no cargo rack installed on my ship... by doing so, there are no requests like tto get 1t of beer from the lazy passenger(s)
I don't think that's how it works. If you pick a mission where the passengers is expected to make demands if you have a cargo rack or not I think they will still request some goods.

Thrust me on this one... if you have no cargo space, they won't ask you.
But hey, feel free to try it yourself...

It's not incompetence, it's deliberate design. Which, in the end, is even worse. If that be a case of simple incompetence then devs could learn from feedback and correct things. But they are firm in what they do, this is their vision of how things should and will work. It's conscious decision. Decision that come from the very basic principle:

Developers of ED do not want to provide much data for use. They want YOU to go and collect your own data and later work on that. And to make it not one-time thing they have incorporated mechanism of data change (system state). My understanding is that - first you go and visit many stations, collect and build your own database. Then you take advantage of said knowledge. Few days later state shifts which forces you to do another data collection run. Circle continues.

In general we, the players, are used to having some map pointer, lead or arrow that show where to go to complete quest. ED is a sandbox with some basic tools. What story you can get from that is up to you. And to ensure that it is YOU woho create story, game cannot have many helps.

As for being new CMDR, over 3 years ago I was such a CMDR. I still remember my very first missions in a Sidewinder, browsing what was available and trying to figure out whatto take and not to be killed on my first run... Mastering in game tools is demanding, especially when those tools do not provide answers you are looking for or for simple answer you must click way too much.

Luckily ED Community helped much, endured my barrage of stupid questions and now I find myself helping others.
On paper that does not seem like a bad idea, they just forgot that it is completly unrewarding to the players to fly around tediously to various stations just to dock and get some data they are not even aware exists because the game never cared to explain. There is no incentive for us to do this thing, if we got notified that we now have collected trading data for X station and be able to review all the data we have and if it is up to date or not would be much much better.

It really is sad, to see the level of incompetense. Imagine a player who just bought the game and is cracking his head trying to do trading using in-game tools while having no idea about third pary tools, many would just quit trading all together.

So true. When I first started I use to fly around randomly just hoping by chance I would get the modules I needed. This frustration lead to the forums and third party sites and tools.

be able to review all the data we have and if it is up to date or not would be much much better
Once you've visited any station in a system, the commodity price data you see for all stations in that system will always be up to date and accurate as of the moment you open the Galaxy Map or commodity screen. There's no need to refresh it in any way.

Pretty much every game-mechanic in ED is designed To make players move around, market dynamics, missions, engineers and the items to unlock them being 300ly apart, It is all to encourage/force (depending on your level of saltiness) the players to fly around, and interact with the galaxy and each other. Otherwise probably 60% of CMDRS would never leave the same four systems.

I don't think that's how it works. If you pick a mission where the passengers is expected to make demands if you have a cargo rack or not I think they will still request some goods.
My passenger ships don't have any cargo racks and yet I get the odd demand. I ignore them without answering (which apparently is the correct response to avoid unhapiness)

I have no cargo space in my Beluga currently while doing passenger missions in a place familiar to many commanders. Anyhow, the requests are largely suppressed, but of the fifteen dozen passenger jobs I've taken to Sirius Atmospherics, one putz did request consumer goods. I'm sure it's a bug, but what isn't these days? :D

Once you've visited any station in a system, the commodity price data you see for all stations in that system will always be up to date and accurate as of the moment you open the Galaxy Map or commodity screen. There's no need to refresh it in any way.
I was talking more of a tab that you open on your codex or something with an extensive list of the systems you have the data for with the current distance from you.

Top Bottom