Can this laptop move well elite with VR with Oculus Rift S?

Hi commanders, I need your help!

I Want to buy Oculus Rift S to play Elite in VR but im not sure if its going to work well in a laptop because they are always weaker than a desktop and i need an expert opinion :D
Check compatibility with Oculus software and everything came out positive, I said they were fully compatible with my computer, but I don't know if it worked well in a demanding game like elite.

Here my Laptop specification:
Laptop MSI
-Windows 10: 64 bits
-Processor: Inter Core i7-7700HQ 2,8 GHz 8 CPUs
-Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
-RAM : 16GB

What do you think??

Thank you so much!!

Before upgrading my desktop, I was happily running a Rift CV1 on an i5 4670k & GTX 1060 6Gb - HMD & SS at 1.0 and other settings varying along Medium/High. Although I’ve since upgraded, I didn’t experience any performance drop between CV1 and the S, the lower frame rate helped compensate for the increased resolution.

I think your laptop should be okay with the Rift S though you’ll probably be dropping into ASW at busy times in the game. Keeping graphics settings towards the lower end of the spectrum while maintaining the default resolution and you should be good to go.

Also, double check your ports and USB are compatible with the Rift S :)

I initially played Elite on an Alienware 17r4 with identical specs and an Oculus CV1. It'll work, but you'll be running relatively low settings on everything. I first tried upgrading to a GTX 1080 in the Alienware graphics amplifier, but I was really disappointed by the relative lack of performance increase due to the latency of an external card, ended up building a new desktop setup instead with a 2080ti. Now I just need to upgrade the headset.

Thanks all for your time and help.

Seeing your comments I think that maybe its not worth buy 450€ in VR to play in minimun and with high possibilities to have a bad experience. I have to buy a improve desktop and then i ll try it.

See you in the space without VR :cry:

Yeah, I have a desktop 7700k and a 1660ti which are considerably faster than the laptop parts you're listing. My setup is fun with medium settings and no super sampling, but it's always in ASW (which is the half frame rate reprojection) because it can't run the solid 80fps.
I think you won't be able to get the settings low enough to even be stable in ASW with that laptop. Your GPU will sag, snowballing the already high CPU usage.
Very demanding game.

Hi commanders, I need your help!

I Want to buy Oculus Rift S to play Elite in VR but im not sure if its going to work well in a laptop because they are always weaker than a desktop and i need an expert opinion :D
Check compatibility with Oculus software and everything came out positive, I said they were fully compatible with my computer, but I don't know if it worked well in a demanding game like elite.

Here my Laptop specification:
Laptop MSI
-Windows 10: 64 bits
-Processor: Inter Core i7-7700HQ 2,8 GHz 8 CPUs
-Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
-RAM : 16GB

What do you think??

Thank you so much!!

You should check whether you need 2 HDMI ports to install oculus rift S, like is the case with the first public version, the Oculus Rift. If that has not changed with the "S" version, and, since laptops have in most cases 1 HDMI, it's a big hassle to get your Oculus up and running, if possible at all.

I don't think laptops are compatible with VR, simply because of power requirements. Thermal throttling always was and always will be a problem even on high end laptops, making them less powerful compared to evenly spec'd desktops.

You should check whether you need 2 HDMI ports to install oculus rift S, like is the case with the first public version, the Oculus Rift. If that has not changed with the "S" version, and, since laptops have in most cases 1 HDMI, it's a big hassle to get your Oculus up and running, if possible at all.
Rift S requires 1 display port and 1 usb3 port.
(but yes, laptops would need to be EXTREMELY beefy to do VR.)

I have such a powerful laptop from Hewlett Packard (model Omen)
That's good, but there are a lot of different models of Omen computer, and they do vary widely how powerful they are. (though they're all enthusiast products, seemingly)
Still, it's hard to say how well it would run since the mobile versions of these parts like the intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs are not the same as the desktop part, and there is the cooling issue. The parts will tend to be lower power, and throttle down when the system starts to heat up. It's hard to say.

I used to run Elite in VR on an i7-4770k with 16gig of ram and a gtx970 - it ran it, albeit at lower end of settings, and would frequently hit ASW on more challenging scenarios, but the sense of immersion was well worth those compromises. Your laptops graphics card will be comparable to the 970 I mentioned earlier, so you should be OK, just remember if you want to see it at its full potential, you will need more graphics grunt torun some of the pretty settings. If this is a laptop you already have I'd say get the rift and try it, if this is one you are buying I'd say postpone the rift and put the money from the rift into a different one with a better graphics card.

For what its worth, @jnTracks is slightly wrong, any nvidia GPU since the 10 series in a laptop is the same spec as the desktop part, the 9 and earlier series of cards had a suffix of m, for example 960m, this denoted the cut down mobile version. Currently Nvidia do make cut down verisons of their graphics for slimmer laptops, these are called "max q design" and are worth avoiding. Similarly if a laptop says i7-8600k it is an i7-8600k as you'd get on a desktop, however there are numerous paired back variants on more mainstream chips that have an "h" in the suffix, for example i7-8600hk - this is the toned down wimpy version of the mainstream (desktop) i7-8600k.

Top Bottom