Can We Combine Supercruise Assist and Auto-dock Modules?

I find it fun that you waste time docking automatically because auto dock limits your speed to 99 whilst manual docking does not. And cutter is able to fly faster than 99. That means that with manual docking you can dock faster.
Not the way I use it. Manual all the way in until just above the pad, or just before it, then activate the docking computer. That last little bit in the larger ships is a PITA and takes way more time manually than it should. tThe DC just drops you down in exactly the correct spot.

Of course. if your mode of landing is to scream in, brake hard and scrape your gear on the pad until the clamps lock, well that will be faster.

Learned the hard way that the auto-docking module won't auto-launch my Python like it did my smaller vessels.

Was a real "Ah crap!" moment, when I looked over, heard no classical music, and saw the countdown timer.

The point is that you do not need auto dock.
That module steals your game process.
Learn to fly. 🙂

Do you realise that its possible to want something you dont need?

I put auto docks on some ships, because i dont want to land them over and over again when trading. Im entirely capable of docking unassisted and do it all the time in Combat and mining vessels of all sizes, as they dont have spare slots for assists. But on a ~700 ton capacity ship that pretty much only flies between stations? You can bet your 4$$ i value being able to AFK dock over another 8 tons of cargo.

That said, i wouldnt want them combined into one. Auto dock can be annoying sometimes and i only use it on trade Cutters/T9s.. but supercruise assist goes on everything except miners, due to the huge reduction in journey times.

Deleted member 121570

D
It'll just depend what you enjoy most, at that point in time. Some folks enjoy making coffee whilst in transit, others like the ADC landing them whilst they think about plotting a route, whilst yet others like just flying their ship.
The only irritating factor about it all, aside from module space for those worried about it, is that you can't permanently get rid of FA.
Every other thing you can strip out, but not that one.
It's annoying.

I would also appreciate it if the letterbox height can be doubled. T9 (and other massive ships) landing in stations would be a lot more enjoyable. For now, without even any sensor that gives proper visual feedback about the distance above and under the ship, it is more a matter of luck to be able to enter without scratching the hull.

I would also appreciate it if the letterbox height can be doubled. T9 (and other massive ships) landing in stations would be a lot more enjoyable. For now, without even any sensor that gives proper visual feedback about the distance above and under the ship, it is more a matter of luck to be able to enter without scratching the hull.
It's fine as it is. Just takes practice.

no, it is neither fine nor enjoyable.
And that's the problem right there. Who is correct? Well, neither or both I guess. I think its fine, you think it's not. Right now it is what it is and it has always been a bit of a challenge to get into the slot right from the initial BBC B version.

I doubt it will change.

I just got a second joystick for my left hand and it's brought back some of the fun in docking again. I've turned off the docking computer in my medium and small ships. That said, I still use the docking computer for my Cutter, T9, and Corvette. It's not that I can't manually dock them, it's just more of a hassle than it's worth.

I just got a second joystick for my left hand and it's brought back some of the fun in docking again. I've turned off the docking computer in my medium and small ships. That said, I still use the docking computer for my Cutter, T9, and Corvette. It's not that I can't manually dock them, it's just more of a hassle than it's worth.
Really? How does a 2nd joystick work? Mapping wise I mean.

I have a left stick on order, when it arrives i plan to map lateral thrusters to the sticks Y axis, Fore/Aft thrusters (ass opposed to throttle) on the X axis and Vertical thrusters on the twist axis, then use a hat for throttle increments. Should give much better control over thrusters than using a ministick with one finger.

For me it's been pretty simple. I've got two joysticks and a throttle hooked up. I have the throttle axis on the throttle controller, and the forward/back, left/right, and up/down thrusters set to the left joystick (pitch, roll, and yaw are all on my right stick). Anytime I want to use the left joystick, I simply put the throttle at zero and grab the stick. When I want to do things like supercruise, I let go of the stick and it goes to zero thrust automatically. Then I just use the throttle like I normally would.

IMG_20200612_170722.jpg

Last edited:
For me it's been pretty simple. I've got two joysticks and a throttle hooked up. I have the throttle axis on the throttle controller, and the forward/back, left/right, and up/down thrusters set to the left joystick (pitch, roll, and yaw are all on my right stick). Anytime I want to use the left joystick, I simply put the throttle at zero and grab the stick. When I want to do things like supercruise, I let go of the stick and it goes to zero thrust automatically. Then I just use the throttle like I normally would.

View attachment 179431
Very clever.

Thanks for the photo that make it very clear.

Not the way I use it. Manual all the way in until just above the pad, or just before it, then activate the docking computer. That last little bit in the larger ships is a PITA and takes way more time manually than it should. tThe DC just drops you down in exactly the correct spot.

Of course. if your mode of landing is to scream in, brake hard and scrape your gear on the pad until the clamps lock, well that will be faster.
No......learn to fly

When supercruise assist and the advanced docking computer were added to the game, each small ship gained two size 1 slots and medium and large ship gained one size 1 slot.

I doubt we'd see amalgamation of SCA and ADC and also keep the new slot(s).
Let's face it, the fact they were added as modules was stupid, they could have just made them integral functions of the ship you could turn on and off, save the slot creep and just let people have fun with it, but Noooooooooo.

Top Bottom