Can we please stop getting "In case you missed it..." e-mails?

This is something that is quite frankly - stupid. If we didn't get it the first time, those chances of getting it again just because you like to spam e-mails, is next to null.

Yes, we got the first one. No, we don't need 'In case you missed it...' If we want to read it, we will. If we don't - we'll trash it and no, we don't need another copy. I feel like I'm Peter in 'Office Space' and I have people coming at me about TPS reports. "I've got eight different bosses, Bob."

Please, for the love of God, either stop this shenanigan or allow us to opt out of this redundancy.

This is something that is quite frankly - stupid. If we didn't get it the first time, those chances of getting it again just because you like to spam e-mails, is next to null.

Yes, we got the first one. No, we don't need 'In case you missed it...' If we want to read it, we will. If we don't - we'll trash it and no, we don't need another copy. I feel like I'm Peter in 'Office Space' and I have people coming at me about TPS reports. "I've got eight different bosses, Bob."

Please, for the love of God, either stop this shenanigan or allow us to opt out of this redundancy.

You can, you know, turn them off in account options.

Personally I agree they should be off by default but they aren't, so yes you can turn off reminders.

It is actually quite sneaky, using an image link to know if you have viewed that image in the email, if not then you get the "in case you missed it" email. I have unsubscribed from everything from this company because of this disgusting method of tracking us.

Using a tiny image to check an email has been successfully received has been a common practice in commercial emails for well over a decade, and maybe even longer than that. It doesn't necessarily imply nefarious activity, as long as the sender is trustworthy, since all it does it confirm you have read the email.

It would be naïve to think this is a practice that is unique to FDev: just about every commercial email you receive will contain one of these - that's how commonplace it is (a bit like cookies on websites).

If you think FDev are the kind of company that engage in nefarious business and tracking practices, then you might want to ask yourself why you choose to continue using their products?

It would be naïve to think this is a practice that is unique to FDev: just about every commercial email you receive will contain one of these - that's how commonplace it is (a bit like cookies on websites).

If you think FDev are the kind of company that engage in nefarious business and tracking practices, then you might want to ask yourself why you choose to continue using their products?

1. They don't spam me with "In case you missed it" emails which is what the complaint is about.

2. You might want to ask yourself why you chose to over-react to someone's choices.

Using a tiny image to check an email has been successfully received has been a common practice in commercial emails for well over a decade, and maybe even longer than that. It doesn't necessarily imply nefarious activity, as long as the sender is trustworthy, since all it does it confirm you have read the email.

Ah, the old everyone else is doing it, so that makes it fine. There's a reason why cookies, marketing emails, tracking, data collection, etc are attracting an increasing amount of regulation around the world. That's why the GDPR was introduced in the EU.

Ah, the old everyone else is doing it, so that makes it fine. There's a reason why cookies, marketing emails, tracking, data collection, etc are attracting an increasing amount of regulation around the world. That's why the GDPR was introduced in the EU.
Yes, I know. And FDev are compliant with all the GDPR regulations, even going beyond them in some cases.

But simply wanting to check if the intended recipient(s) actually received the email they signed up for (or, at least, didn't choose to opt out of) doesn't seem entirely unreasonable or nefarious to me. 🤷‍♂️

2. You might want to ask yourself why you chose to over-react to someone's choices.
Sorry - I didn't mean to come across as over-reacting. I was just responding to these sentiments:

I am disgusted that this is being done and now will completely unsubscribe from anything from this company.

It is actually quite sneaky, using an image link to know if you have viewed that image in the email, if not then you get the "in case you missed it" email. I have unsubscribed from everything from this company because of this disgusting method of tracking us.

Sorry - I didn't mean to come across as over-reacting. I was just responding to these sentiments:

FYI - The reason I have "continued to use" ED was simply because of the game. I tolerated their manipulative methods* in the past because I wanted to play the game.

I have to say that in addition to being disappointed by the apparent emphasis of on-foot combat for just about any progress in Oddity, this tracking just added to my current disenchantment with a game which I had played virtually every day for over six years - now I have not actually played it since August apart from one short check in Oddity the other day. So maybe I am actually not choosing "to continue using their products". Only time will tell.

* (For example their use of value-laden words as descriptors for "ranks" in CQC and the use of attention- drawing red colouring for those ranks - all in an attempt to manipulate people into playing that thing.)

I haven't seen those mails, or any newsletters, for years now. Maybe in the spam folder? Dunno, there wasnt any news in the newsletters anyway so I forgot about them.

Top Bottom