Horizons Cannot enter planetary glide... WP Frontier...

So I recently had the time and opportunity to download the Horizons update and all of its patches, and was really excited to finally make landfall. Went to an outfitting station to make sure I had a planetary approach suite - Check. (Not interested in driving around just yet, and also it's an FDL so I'm a bit tight on internals... Anyway, located the nearest atmosphere-less body (an icy moon), flew over to it, orbital cruise enabled, so far so good. Taking it nice and easy, very slow and shallow, and then BAM - "Too close" Supercruise drop...

I then attempted this a few more times to no avail, even trying to fly in normal flight mode down to the surface - but I hit the "planetary exclusion zone" or something like that...

Could anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong? Rather frustrated right now...

Last edited:
You can only land on planets which have a blue circle around them in the system map. Those planets are implemented to be landable planets. For the rest of them you will drop out just like you said out of supercruise ("Too close... blabla").

Ok. Although, I have been looking on the internet, and it seems that in order for Horizons to work, you must download a new launcher from the official Elite: Dangerous website, and you cannot simply get the update through steam. Is this correct? Don't want to file a bug report if I'm just being a derp...

Ok. Although, I have been looking on the internet, and it seems that in order for Horizons to work, you must download a new launcher from the official Elite: Dangerous website, and you cannot simply get the update through steam. Is this correct? Don't want to file a bug report if I'm just being a derp...

WEll Steam should give you the new launcher but...

The launcher will appear blue when logged in, rather than orange.

It will have 3 options

Elite Dangerous: Horizons (64-bit)
Elite Dangerous (32-bit)
Elite Dangerous (64-bit)

Obv you'd pick the Horizons one.

WEll Steam should give you the new launcher but...

The launcher will appear blue when logged in, rather than orange.

It will have 3 options

Elite Dangerous: Horizons (64-bit)
Elite Dangerous (32-bit)
Elite Dangerous (64-bit)

Obv you'd pick the Horizons one.

Well DAMN. Looks like I need to download this new launcher then... Where would I go to obtain it if I want it to function through steam?

Well DAMN. Looks like I need to download this new launcher then... Where would I go to obtain it if I want it to function through steam?

WEll I'm not sure, I mean mine's ok.

EDIT: actually, it's probably this....

If you look in Steam there are two versions of Elite, "Elite Dangerous" and "Elite Dangerous: Horizons".

Frontier have had to do Horizons as a new game for some reason.

So check your Steam for this game : http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/

It is called "Elite Dangerous: Horizons" in the Steam client list.

If you don;t have access to this game and just see the old "Elite: Dangerous" only....

Go to : https://www.frontierstore.net/

Go to your account page , then go to "partner keys" then get a key for Horizons which you should redeem on Steam.

Install and play etc...

You can uninstall the old Elite Dangerous for some disc space.

The launcher should be blue once you login and you'll see a new "Horizons" logo when you start the game, it will be very obvious you have the right version loaded.

Last edited:
WEll I'm not sure, I mean mine's ok.

Hrm... When you purchased Horizons, did you do so through steam or through the official website? because I purchased Horizons through the website as there was no option to preorder on steam... I fear that I have made an error in this regard...

edited my post above ^^^^^

Ahh I see. Thank you good sir... Now I only have to REINSTALL THE WHOLE GAME... Hehehe... Whelp, I'm off to leech some poor sod's wifi...
My one question would be whether I need to take measures to preserve my CMDR save files or if they are store in the cloud...

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Ahh I see. Thank you good sir... Now I only have to REINSTALL THE WHOLE GAME... Hehehe... Whelp, I'm off to leech some poor sod's wifi...
My one question would be whether I need to take measures to preserve my CMDR save files or if they are store in the cloud...

Commander data is server stored linked to your account.

WEll in theory once you have added the key, you can probably rename the old : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous

to whatever the new one is called (I don't know sry).

I think much of the files are the same.

Maybe kick off the install, then cancel it, then copy the old files into the new folder and get Steam to verify the files which should sort it all?

I think Steam just does the launcher but not sure...

So maybe after Steam has installed you need to verify again with ED launcher, use the options menu.

Should save a bit of downloading maybe.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If you can find the Horizons installation (non-Steam) you should simply be able to copy the files into the Steam game folder.

If you can find the Horizons installation (non-Steam) you should simply be able to copy the files into the Steam game folder.

Except that I don't have the Horizons files, only the regular E: D ones, as I thought the 8GB update for the base game was all of the horizons content, and that because the launcher was linked to my Frontier account, it would automatically detect my Horizons purchase... Alas as I have been now enlightened, I know this not to be the case...

Top Bottom