Canonn knew the Gnosis would be intercepted.

A source inside the Canonn Research Group has told me that in their correspondence with Frontier they were made aware that attempts to reach the Cone sector would fail and that the Gnosis would be intercepted by Thargoids.

This begs a few questions:

1. Should they have changed the route?

2. Should they have encouraged Commanders to bring AX builds?

Please note my very first post "Attempt" it was always a possibility we would not make it
But at least we had a go
When Fdev then permit locked the system we fully expected to get interdicted miss-jumped or something
But the hype was strong and there was nothing we (Canonn) could have done about it
And right now shooting scouts around the Gnosis is quite entertaining
If we DID know then no doubt we would have been asked not to say
Lots of commanders have bought AX builds
and the route after this is to the Rift as planned not another attempt to get in.
o7

Please note my very first post "Attempt" it was always a possibility we would not make it
But at least we had a go
When Fdev then permit locked the system we fully expected to get interdicted miss-jumped or something
But the hype was strong and there was nothing we (Canonn) could have done about it
And right now shooting scouts around the Gnosis is quite entertaining
If we DID know then no doubt we would have been asked not to say
Lots of commanders have bought AX builds
and the route after this is to the Rift as planned not another attempt to get in.
o7

I was happy to help disgeuntled CMDRs that were trapped on the Gnosis at least XD

I think its Cannons duty to actually step up and own this.

Members of CANNON and others onboard the GNOSIS have been slating FDEV for being lied to, when CANNON actually knew.

That makes you just as responsible if not more so, was wondering why Cannon Organisers have been so quiet.

I think that Cannon should have done a whole lot more to put the brakes on this once they learned that their original sales pitch to the wider community was no longer even close to accurate...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ermit-Lock-!?p=6924446&viewfull=1#post6924446

***Attention Explorers*** GNOSIS Jumps planned THROUGH a permit Lock !
Attention all explorers

The Gnosis is planning a jump through a permit locked area of space to reach the "CONE Sector"
This is a relativity pristine area of space, and the Gnosis will be on station for 4 weeks ONLY
YOU MUST be aboard and docked within the Gnosis to make the jump. and you MUST be aboard to get out of the Zone!
This is a rare opportunity to scan and bag new Systems and Planets.

Once the Gnosis exits the permit locked system, she will be heading towards "The Rift" for an extended deep space voyage

Aug 2018 System
2nd Week 1 Bifrost
9th Week 2 Merope
16th Week 3 64 Orionis
23rd Week 4 HD 51502
30th Week 5 Outotz ST-I d9-4

Sept 2018 System
6th Week 1 Cone Sector FN-J B9-0
13th Week 2 Cone Sector FN-J B9-0
20th Week 3 Cone Sector FN-J B9-0
27th Week 4 Cone Sector FN-J B9-0

Fly Safe Commanders o7

This was sold as an exploration event. The original advertisers later learned that it was not even going to be a hint of an exploration event. That none of the original sales pitch was going to even be close. This was going to be a high level combat event. They knew that there were thousands of commanders coming in exploration loads based on what was sold to them.

No, not nearly enough was done to mitigate the complete reversal is scope of this event.

here's what i don't understand...

why should a commanders idea about what they think should happen be used as a reason to attack what actually did happen.

this is fdev's game and we are the content. they are the authors and we the characters. they can do whatever they want and i've long expected they will.

i'll agree with the frustration on broke features and game mechanics like uss' not spawning thargoids or broken CG, though as someone who has worked in the software business for a long time i have some sympathy with bugs. not much, but some. but not the gnosis getting attacked. i mean, i saw that coming 1000ly away. i can't see how anyone didn't.

I think its Cannons duty to actually step up and own this.

Members of CANNON and others onboard the GNOSIS have been slating FDEV for being lied to, when CANNON actually knew.

That makes you just as responsible if not more so, was wondering why Cannon Organisers have been so quiet.

Whether they did or not, this is somewhat reminiscent of the Salome event, following which some accusations were made about Drew and other prominent factions associated with it.

My take away from this is don't organise community events, it will bite you in the and seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Wow, and I didn't think this mess could get any worse. Has Canonn leadership said anything about how this really went down?

Whether they did or not, this is somewhat reminiscent of the Salome event, following which some accusations were made about Drew and other prominent factions associated with it.

My take away from this is don't organise community events, it will bite you in the and seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

That would be sad outcome.

It is obvious that Canonn shares some of the 'blame' here. And I put 'blame' in brackets because I am really tired people just venting emotions and trying to find outlet or destination of their frustrations.

Canonn and other orgs really should come together with FD and nail down procedure how to deal with such events. Canonn trying to jump there was...futile. I personally have no inquiry with alien research in ED but I know how FD works and I know locked systems are locked because...they are done so for game development reasons. Should have FD just said no? Or should there have been interesting event? Will be there ever such event where everybody will be happy AND surprised?

I really doubt that. But it is obvious that lot of people on both sides took things for granted. I want such events in game. Please sort them out together.

Rather than just blaming FDEV ?

FDEV have a couple things to be blamed for... the early release of the Galnet article and some other technical issues like the No-fire zone stuff, but it's their game, not ours. They can do whatever they like with all the set pieces in it.

Explorers are a bit miffed (as are Canonn as far as I know, who wanted this to be an exploration mission). I get that, but when the Galnet article got released about the jump target being filled with Hydras, it should've been obvious to *anyone* what was going to happen. There's blame to go round for sure, but none to Canonn and some to FD, but not for the "plot twist" if you like. They could've blown up the Gnosis and would've been well within rights to, and to not tell Canonn either.

I say all this as a group leader, with what should be as many "rights" as Canonns leader, or any other group. Communication from FD when you have something planned in-game is simply not forthcoming in my experience. Canonn knew just as much as the rest of us, and if someone didn't think anything bad was going to happen, that's a failure of their risk assessment, and again...

kFgGZrV.png

EDIT: FWIW, the difference between the Salome event and this is that Drew advocated for RP player-characters, which were never going to be technically viable for that sort of event. Why FD supported that I'll never know.

Canonn, as far as I know, never advocated for Gnosis to be hyperdicted.

Last edited:
It's Fdev's game, Fdev's responsibility. That's the way leadership works.

So gamers want all shinies of emergent gameplay, and not bear any responsibility?

That's not how it works.

If we want to get such events to be rolled out flawlessly, all involved has to be on one note.

Well well.

What a shocker. /sarcasm.

Canonn are now known liars.

Like how they found the second Scout ship by collaborated star data. HA.

We knew this already.

Oh and I'm sure I said on the original Gnosis jump post that there was something smelling awful fishy about Canonn's interactions with FDev.

And would you look at that.

I was right.

I won't say I told you so.

But I told you so.

A source inside the Canonn Research Group has told me that in their correspondence with Frontier they were made aware that attempts to reach the Cone sector would fail and that the Gnosis would be intercepted by Thargoids.

This begs a few questions:

1. Should they have changed the route?

2. Should they have encouraged Commanders to bring AX builds?

Being intercepted is fine. However, we had hoped to get to at least ONE of the formerly inaccessible systems in doing so. Instead we just ended up in the next system over looking at the same things we were looking at for the last week. It is strictly the part about not getting to at least getting to one previously inaccessible system that is the disappointing result. It's also unfortunate that Frontier seem to have gone out of their way over the last week to prevent what was going to be a fun trip to an area people had not been able to visit for a long time. They saw a lot of players interested in an unusual opportunity to go somewhere new, and they've responded by sticking a knife through the heart of that, unless they eventually let Gnosis proceed into the inaccessible area.

1) Why change the route? To where? We had a valid destination - full speed ahead.

2) You don't need "AX builds", and players that came for exploration have no use for "AX builds".

Last edited:
Top Bottom