Can't Enter Supercruise After Hyperjump Due to Overheating?

Currently playing solo and silent running mode not on.

1. Was doing my final commodities trading run to complete a mission between Eranin 4 and Foster in Asellius system. Exited the hyperjump as normal. Instinctively slowed down while immediately veering away from the sun like I always have.

2. Let my attention wandered for a sec and failed to notice the speed was still too high when the fuel scoop kicked in. I immediately began taking abnormal heat damage over the typical 46% limit. Instead of slowing down, I increased SC speed. to pull away from the sun. Which made the overheating in my starter sidewinder even worse.

3. Rammed throttle back below the blue range to abort SC. At this point, I was orbiting the outer perimeter of the sun with fuel scoop retracted. But apparently was still too close? as my ship began flashing warning/overheat signs. So pointed ship away from sun and began inching towards blue zone speed, but to no effect.

4. When the heat limit hit 105% and the cockpit began smoking, I finally panicked and exited the game to save my ship. It gave me some 15 sec or so before letting me return to the menu. Logged back on several mins later to find my ship was still in the same region of space near the sun. But NOT taking anymore heat damage?

5. Thought it safe to re-targeted the Foster space station about 1 ly away and tried to engage SC. But that's when my ship immediately began overheating over 80% again.

6. Repeated the log off/on process a couple more times but to no avail. I'm stuck just outside the nav becon region in relatively close proximity to the sun. But NOT taking anymore heat damage.

7. Checked status of all my systems in right status panel. None of my system modules are below 80%? The most critical ones like the thrusters & FSD are at or above 90%. And I've got 100% shields. I can also max the thrusters (at 98% status health) to the top of the blue speed range but not beyond that to get into SC. Boosting also causes the re-heating issue

Trying to avoid using the repair/reboot option since I'm NOT dead in space and none of my system modules are below 80%. But it's impossible to engage SC without destroying my ship. Which means I'll likely end up failing the mission (was delivering the last 8/8 minerals to the Foster station) and I'm only 1 ly out. FML.

1. Basically WTH is this excess heat coming from??? When the status panel says all modules healthy with no signs of damage?
  2. How long does it take the ship system to cool down after such critical overheating?
  3. Is there a PG rescue/repair ship group similar to fuel rats who will help bail you if stranded like this in space? i.e. help out with heat limpets to ditch heat?
  4. How long does life support (at 95% status) last if your ship isn't overheating a ly out from a station?
  5. Can you wait it out flying at sub SC speeds in blue zone if you lack that heat sink module that lets you dump excess heat?
  6. The canopy window (also 100% structurally sound) looks frosted over like it's freezing outside. Which implies the ship's exterior temp is cold enough. So WTH is it overheating when trying to engage SC?
  7. Basically is there an alternative saving grace option besides Reboot/Repair and Self-Destruct ship? I'd really hate doing this, end up failing the mission/get fined, and having to redo the entire 20 ly jump mission all from scratch.

That space station target destination point. So tantalizingly close, yet so far........ :(

Last edited:
Trying to avoid using the repair/reboot option since I'm NOT dead in space and none of my system modules are below 80%. But it's impossible to engage SC without destroying my ship. Which means I'll likely end up failing the mission (was delivering the last 8/8 minerals to the Foster station) and I'm only 1 ly out. FML.

1. Basically WTH is this excess heat coming from??? When the status panel says all modules healthy with no signs of damage?
  2. How long does it take the ship system to cool down after such critical overheating?
  3. Is there a PG rescue/repair ship group similar to fuel rats who will help bail you if stranded like this in space? i.e. help out with heat limpets to ditch heat?
  4. How long does life support (at 95% status) last if your ship isn't overheating a ly out from a station?
  5. Can you wait it out flying at sub SC speeds in blue zone if you lack that heat sink module that lets you dump excess heat?
  6. The canopy window (also 100% structurally sound) looks frosted over like it's freezing outside. Which implies the ship's exterior temp is cold enough. So WTH is it overheating when trying to engage SC?
  7. Basically is there an alternative saving grace option besides Reboot/Repair and Self-Destruct ship? I'd really hate doing this, end up failing the mission/get fined, and having to redo the entire 20 ly jump mission all from scratch.

That space station target destination point. So tantalizingly close, yet so far........ :(

1. If your heat bar goes above 100% it will say you take heat damage but it probably wont give you it until you hit around 130%.

2. once you are away from the sun it depends on your powerplant and ship. With a good powerplant you will cool down within 30 seconds.

3. Use Heatsinks they are a Utility you can use and will take your heat to 0%

4. Your life support is the time is the same until the module is turned off.

5.Yes it can it will just take a few seconds

6. If its freezing on the Canopy that means you managed to fire a Heatsink somehow. Thats the only way to do that as far as i know.

7.You Should be able to make it to the station fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick follow up. but on these:

1. If your heat bar goes above 100% it will say you take heat damage but it probably wont give you it until you hit around 130%.

it's possible this may have exceeded 130% due to my consistent log off/on re-attempting SC. So what happens then?

2. once you are away from the sun it depends on your powerplant and ship. With a good powerplant you will cool down within 30 seconds.

Right. That's my ultimate goal. Problem is the subsonic SC speed which doesn't get above the blue bar range. How long would it take me to "get away" from the sun in a reasonable amount of game time like a game hour? A literal game day? etc.

That's the problem. Couldn't afford any because just starting out. Joke was I was literally going to add at least 1 such module with improved FSD class C drive....when I made it back to Foster's station. lol

6. If its freezing on the Canopy that means you managed to fire a Heatsink somehow. Thats the only way to do that as far as i know.

Thx for reassurance on #5-7. Thing is I don't think I have a heat sink? Did this come default with the other loaned equipment on the starter sidewinder? Because I didn't install any manually....

Just wait till you accidentally fly into a neutron stars exclusion zone. They heat up your ship real quick.

Anyway, head away from the sun, in super cruise. You will heat up and take some damage but shouldn’t be anything too major and can be easily repaired at nearest stations, hopefully the sidewinder should cope. If a module does become inoperable, you should be able to get it going but rebooting your ship. Option to reboot is on your right panel.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick follow up. but on these:

it's possible this may have exceeded 130% due to my consistent log off/on re-attempting SC. So what happens then?

Right. That's my ultimate goal. Problem is the subsonic SC speed which doesn't get above the blue bar range. How long would it take me to "get away" from the sun in a reasonable amount of game time like a game hour? A literal game day? etc.

That's the problem. Couldn't afford any because just starting out. Joke was I was literally going to add at least 1 such module with improved FSD class C drive....when I made it back to Foster's station. lol

Thx for reassurance on #5-7. Thing is I don't think I have a heat sink? Did this come default with the other loaned equipment on the starter sidewinder? Because I didn't install any manually....

I forgot to mention look at the compass above the heat level activate the frame shift drive then aim for the blue circle to be aligned with the target. for your follow up on question one you will take some amount of hull damage and module damage but you should still be able to make it to station you might lose some cargo though if you are carrying any.

Last edited:
Heat range up to 80% is ok. 80% to 100% alarm sounds but receive no damage. Over 100% start to take damage.
I’ve had ships over 400% due to accidentally activating silent running while in combat.

Well just got done limping back to Foster Research Station in one piece. Had to turn off all non essential modules (fuel scoop etc) to reduce heat. Had even more fun trolling the AI at the station to grant docking privileges. Then when the docking privileges were finally granted, nearly had a fit of apoplexy watching the docking computer try to fly by battered waffle maker into the side of the blasted station......

Seriously, I'm dumbfounded I was actually able to make it inside the hangar. Without getting vaporized again for another trespassing/loitering bounty. Or fined for criminal mischief thanks to my psychotic docking computer trying to damage the station.

Anyhow, it turns out the status panel (the panel to your right in cockpit) is a f@cking LIAR.

Even though this consistently indicated the FSD at 90% health, this module's true status was actually 35% on the advanced repair menu in the hangar. Same for some other modules like the scanner. So my ship had been seriously crippled. It's a good thing I logged out that first time before letting the damage progress any further.

So that "repair all" menu is really just a band aid. Guess I'll be using the advanced repair menu from now on >,<

Think I'm going to wait until I can upgrade to a Cobra MK3 before adding heat sinks and a Class 1A FSD. These upgrades seem a total waste on the sidewinder. Especially since I've run out of optional module space to add a better power distributor. This was a good learning experience although a painful one. Taught me to set min thrust for SC drop out to min 30km/s in the future. Which basically zeros out your speed when you finally drop out of hyper space. That's about the only way to guarantee not being radioactively flame broiled by a sun on the jump end point in the future.

ps: on the compass bit I did all of that. It simply wasn't possible to engage the FSD. Even after an hour or so real time when the sidewinder had finally left the sun's outer perimeter. FSD was literally toast awaiting marmalade at that point :/

Just wait till you accidentally fly into a neutron stars exclusion zone. They heat up your ship real quick.

Anyway, head away from the sun, in super cruise. You will heat up and take some damage but shouldn’t be anything too major and can be easily repaired at nearest stations, hopefully the sidewinder should cope. If a module does become inoperable, you should be able to get it going but rebooting your ship. Option to reboot is on your right panel.

Since there's no tutorial for this next bit of space bum nuggetry, how bad is the gravitational pull on a medium sized ship like a Cobra MK3? Or Asp Explorer? i.e how forgiving is the gravitational field for a neutron star? Also have you flown into any of the black matter nebula as yet?

Since there's no tutorial for this next bit of space bum nuggetry, how bad is the gravitational pull on a medium sized ship like a Cobra MK3? Or Asp Explorer? i.e how forgiving is the gravitational field for a neutron star? Also have you flown into any of the black matter nebula as yet?

The power of the FSD is what determines the pull on the ships once you get out of the starter ships you should be fine. Youd have to experience it yourself theres not really a easy way to explain the amount of speed. Its pretty much the same among all star types at least in my experience except for the Supergiant stars and neutron/whitedwarfs.

Oh and get rid of the docking computer. Nothing but trouble

True but until I master and can stick a direct 90 degrees, nose down approach landing onto any non-Coriolis station (aka Ocellus/Orbis/Outpost) landing pad I'll have to trust the dumb AI for now. That assumes I can figure out which side of the blasted landing dock is showing the green lights. And even then, --actually--WHICK f@cking lit up dock I should approach before having to get close enough to read the numbers. :) Yes the target is at center of compass. Yes I try to approach from inside the station's orbit which should be the front door side. But it's the Ocellus/Orbis/Outpost stations that are worst for landing approaches. Easier to let the computer tank my shields in figuring out what side the landing pad is on. Than have me waste the entire docking time trying to figure out what side of the station I'm supposed to be on. lol

Oddly enough, I stuck my first planetary landing on the fly with zero tutorial. Just used intuition and some 45% guts. Didn't know what the speeds were coming in to land for the zones above and below the OC region. Just figured if I came in at a gradual approach angle and at a slower--translation controllable--speed, I might be able to offset the worst of any planetary gravitational pull on the ship. Did a deliberate loop of shame, turned and approached station at a low altitude. Then hovered/dropped down on landing pad.

Same for taking off. Max pips to engines. Thrust vertically upwards to over 2km at an attack angle well over 45 degrees or so vertically up. But not too extreme at 90 deg escape vector since I didn't know the extent of the planet G force. Try to gain momentum via successive boosts until the mass lock off. Point directly towards escape vector, engage FSD and pray..... If successful (i.e. doesn't result in back flipping ship towards the planet), then SC SC SC your butt towards the escape vector. Hopefully by then you're close to approaching OC altitude where the planet drops away in your left radar. At that point, you're in the clear.

There was an iconic crash of a Python? Imperial Clipper/Cutter? idk. Hard to tell from footage other than it was a frightful looking monster of a ship. Footage was captured on Day 1 of the DW2 expedition that killed some 30+ Cmnders. Pilot was with several other Cmnders on surface of what appeared to be a higher than earth G force planet. Pointed his leviathan on the surface directly upwards to 90 Azimuth. From an initial zero velocity. For a direct vertical lift off that defied Newtonian physics. I just knew that approach to the escape vector was not going to end well. Moments later, his fiery death proved my paranoia. >,<

Incident gave my Holo Me Cmnder nightmares ever since. As seductive as the economic incentive is to fly a heavy, up armored hauler for the economic profit margins, the lower availability of landing docks/space station and increased interdiction by rouge Cmnders alike make the risks exceed the reward. Think I'll stick with medium sized ships. More forgiving when cruising past solar or planetary giant bodies. Exotic phenomena like neutron stars, black holes/dark nebula or smaller planets with exceptional higher than Earth like G forces etc. tend to give my n00b Holo Me Cmnder nightmares :D

Last edited:
Click down your left stick, make sure head look isn't enabled and then use your lateral thrusters with your right stick to land 90 degrees anywhere.

Store the DC as you have limited internals on small ships meaning you sacrifice something you need, get used to the lateral thrusters, they also work in Supercruise and you should only need your DC for much less agile, bigger ships.

The power of the FSD is what determines the pull on the ships once you get out of the starter ships you should be fine. Youd have to experience it yourself theres not really a easy way to explain the amount of speed. Its pretty much the same among all star types at least in my experience except for the Supergiant stars and neutron/whitedwarfs.

How to lock in the 30km/s speed so you can instantly drop out of the hyper jump into safe SC? There are 2 such throttle options in the Options menu. There is one which let's you incrementally adjust the reverse thrust by percentages. Is that it? If so, it's difficult to map this control with a non keyboard input (like controller or HOTAS)

Click down your left stick, make sure head look isn't enabled and then use your lateral thrusters with your right stick to land 90 degrees anywhere.

Store the DC as you have limited internals on small ships meaning you sacrifice something you need, get used to the lateral thrusters, they also work in Supercruise and you should only need your DC for much less agile, bigger ships.

Ok thx good to know. But by vertical, I meant the DC will locate the glowing landing pad, point directly downwards at a 90 degree angle, then boost its way in a suicidal dive directly towards it. Then come to a dead stop a ship's length above the pad surface, do a slick 90 degree out of plane rotation so landing pads are now pointing normal towards the station's surface. All in the span of some 30s or so. First time it did that, I thought I was in for yet another costly date with the penal authority NPC at Mercy's Hammer :D

Last edited:
Ok thx good to know. But by vertical, I meant the DC will locate the glowing landing pad, point directly downwards at a 90 degree angle, then boost its way in a suicidal dive directly towards it. Then come to a dead stop a ship's length above the pad surface, do a slick 90 degree out of plane rotation so landing pads are now pointing normal towards the station's surface. All in the span of some 30s or so. First time it did that, I thought I was in for yet another costly date with the penal authority NPC at Mercy's Hammer :D

thats still possible in a small ship, engineered so you stop in time loads of flight time so you know when to hit the brakes to avoid dying. I would do it my Sidey all the time, engineered to boost around 780, turns on a dime, no shields for extra speed but 700 hull for the occasional impact

but I wouldn't recommend it. It's suicide.

Yes I do. I've become a complete kitty meow since those big bully station lazers have made it their hobby to taser my pixelated n00b @ss every time I've tried to dock. So screw you guys and p#ss off. :) Those NPC dates at the penn don't come with free soap or showers btw. Because. No space legs :p

thats still possible in a small ship, engineered so you stop in time loads of flight time so you know when to hit the brakes to avoid dying. I would do it my Sidey all the time, engineered to boost around 780, turns on a dime, no shields for extra speed but 700 hull for the occasional impact

but I wouldn't recommend it. It's suicide.
Ho there. Are you saying the DC will attempt the same suicide manuevers in a BIG SHIP like an Anaconda???

Oh <insert E. Coli euphemism here>.....

Last edited:
How to lock in the 30km/s speed so you can instantly drop out of the hyper jump into safe SC? There are 2 such throttle options in the Options menu. There is one which let's you incrementally adjust the reverse thrust by percentages. Is that it? If so, it's difficult to map this control with a non keyboard input (like controller or HOTAS)

Your FSD is what determines your speed for supercruise. I dont think there is a way to speed the slow down or acceleration process without upgrading it.

Just a final note regarding docking computer. I don’t know if it’s been fixed but the type 7 transport won’t dock using computer. I don’t know if it affects other ships but it just wouldn’t fly through the slot, like it’s alignment was all wrong. Just something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom