Can't get ED to run in VR (Oculus)

I have an existing install of Elite Dangerous along with an Oculus Key, but when I launch ED the Rift doesn't pick it up and run with it. I thought Unknown Sources would help, but it doesn't.

Also, the settings for HMD headphones/speakers is missing from Options, and using Dr Kias profiler doesn't help either.

It's doing my crust.

How can I get ED to run in VR without having to download the whole thing into Oculus Home?

Also, the settings for HMD headphones/speakers is missing from Options

are you sure?

How can I get ED to run in VR without having to download the whole thing into Oculus Home?

installing into oculus home isn't necessary, just enable HMD in the game. this is mandatory or else the game will just not bother to look for the headset (hence not launch oculus home). weird, you should have that option. what do you mean with 'missing'? you have no 'HMD headphones' option in the list or is the option missing altogether? it should be in options -> 3d.

also, are you running 32bit? (dunno if it's relevant, but in any case ... try the other! :D)

edit: also, dunno what you mean with an oculus key ... i guess your oculus home is working and you can play vr demos/games normally, right?

Last edited:
I'm positive that there are no HMD options in the 3D settings..

6z6uU3C.png

I'm running ED 64bit version and the Key is obtained from the Frontier Store (as are Steam Keys).

I suppose I'm going to have to download 13Gb of game again.

Nuts.

o7

I'm running ED 64bit version and the Key is obtained from the Frontier Store (as are Steam Keys).

When I launch from steam it comes up with 3 options: Play Elite, Play: Horizons and Launch Steam VR. Oculus Home is already running when I select launch steam VR. Now that they updated Oculus Home after I launch with steamVR once it adds it to my home list and don't need to launch with Steam.

Sounds like you need to install the Steam version.

Last edited:
Have you rebooted since innstilling the oculus ?

Yep.

When I launch from steam it comes up with 3 options: Play Elite, Play: Horizons and Launch Steam VR. Oculus Home is already running when I select launch steam VR. Now that they updated Oculus Home after I launch with steamVR once it adds it to my home list and don't need to launch with Steam.

I'm not going to be using SteamVR.

What I don't get is the missing HMD options in the Graphics 3D section. I've trawled through all of the xml config files for ED and I can't see the settings for 3D in any of them.

Most annoying.

Does anyone know what files Dr Kaii's ED profiler writes to?

I think you want the HMD headphones option selected :) either in the profiler or in game depending which you use to launch

https://www.vrheads.com/how-enable-vr-elite-dangerous

I had the game for a few hours before I got the oculus and this is how I did it.....

"If you are adding VR to your Elite: Dangerous experience, you've already purchased the game. This means you need to share this information with either Oculus Home or SteamVR so these stores do not try to charge you again for the game.

Head to the Frontier website in your browser, log in to your account, and go to your Account Dashboard. Here you will see an option labeled Partner Keys, which will allow you to claim a key for Elite: Dangerous on your VR platform of choice. Redeem this code on your VR store, and you'll be able to download the VR version of the game from those stores.

This does mean you'll need to uninstall the version of the game you currently have installed. There is no way to enable VR mode for Oculus Rift or SteamVR from the standard PC version of the game anymore. Before you uninstall the game, be sure to head to Users/[accountname]/AppData/Local/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings/ in Windows and move the "custom.binds" file until the game is re-installed. This will save you from needing to re-map your keys in the new version of the game, just in case that information gets lost."

I know it is launched from Oculus Home via a valid key, but maybe it helps to configure Oculus Home to accept third party external software in the options?

I have an existing install of Elite Dangerous along with an Oculus Key, but when I launch ED the Rift doesn't pick it up and run with it. I thought Unknown Sources would help, but it doesn't.

Also, the settings for HMD headphones/speakers is missing from Options, and using Dr Kias profiler doesn't help either.

It's doing my crust.

I bought the game from the Frontier store, and then they provided a Steam and Oculus key, and I used both.

Now when I play Elite with my Rift I can choose it in Oculus home, or in Steam by choosing "play Elite in VR"

I do believe I had to install the game three times to have the option to run it from Oculus, Steam, and Frontier, but it's not like it's a huge game install and I wanted to see how each would work.

The only thing I can suggest that has not already been mentioned is to start the game as far as the main menu, then select options and controls to see if you have the HMD option listed there before actually starting the game.

If you do have to re install ED then try to install it to a different drive. That way you can run two copies of the game at the same time if you have a second Cmdr account (you will need close one of the launcher screens to launch the second game).

Thanks all, I've just downloaded it into Oculus home. Problem solved.

However, I'm still curious as to how unknown sources is supposed to work, 'cus it seems to do naff all.

...There is no way to enable VR mode for Oculus Rift or SteamVR from the standard PC version of the game anymore...

What?! What of Earth for??! Where can I corroborate this claim (the vrheads article does not count - first party information, please)?

I have never asked for any keys at either store - (EDIT: ...always use the Frontier launcher from the desktop... ), have played since long before the game was available at either, and the options have never not been there - are you saying I'm kind of "grandfathered in", or what?

(I do know that the game has at some point got a few commandline options, which can e.g. suppress the game from starting in VR...)

Last edited:
The VR article is not true! I played my general Elite installation last week with the Rift and had no problem,
just enabled third party device in Oculus software and HMD in Elite preferences.

Top Bottom