Can't go any further..?

Hi,

I'm playing the game for a month now and I'm trying to find new systems.

So far, all the systems I've been, have already been found and mapped.
So I thought the best way to find new systems is to reach the end of a road and try to find a new system. Since the ones in existing routes seems to have all been discovered.

But, here I'm but... what do I do??
I'm in a 1star system with no planets... no route to follow. (beside backtracking)

How do you find new systems??
I can't figure how to do it. I saw videos on youtube how to map planets or get info on planets but not how to find new stellar systems.

Okay, there are a few things that are important here. :)

1) There are no 'roads as such. Those lines are the way they are due to your jump rage. With a ship with a higher range the lines would be different.
2) You are in the 'bubble'. A collection of thousands of populated systems closely together, with empty systems in between. There are no undiscovered systems there. You need to go outside of the bubble, ideally a few thousand LY, before you really get into carta incognito. A way to visualize the bubble is by going to the galaxy map and selecting power play option. All powers together form most of the bubble, and it'll show that you are very much in the center of it.

I suspect your ship has a very low range. What ship are you flying? What is your range currently?

GCRV 2310 is 115 Ly from Sol. The furthest system from Sol is around 65,000 Ly from Sol. You should travel a bit further out ;)

That's my current location in the galaxy. Should I go to the center or outer region of the galaxy?

Okay, there are a few things that are important here. :)

1) There are no 'roads as such. Those lines are the way they are due to your jump rage. With a ship with a higher range the lines would be different.
2) You are in the 'bubble'.

I suspect your ship has a very low range. What ship are you flying? What is your range currently?

My jump limit is 1.5T of fuel. 11.81LY max per jump.
I own a Viper MkIII.

So I need a bigger ship with more fuel capacity before tempting to find new worlds?

Deleted member 38366

D
I own a Viper MkIII.

So I need a bigger ship with more fuel capacity before tempting to find new worlds?

1) you're still right in the Bubble. Exploration with untagged Systems begins around (very roughly) 2000LY out and depends on location - avoid the Colonia or SagA* Transit Corridors or other well-treaded tourist routes to some Nebula, same like the space directly above or below the inhabited Bubble..

2) an unengineered Viper Mk.III is a horrible choice for Exploration and won't get you far
(well...technically it does with alot of tricks but you'll take ages to get anywhere - only to realize you need precious Jumponium for every further jump at some point; that's reserved for hardcore Explorers who don't mind making 2500+ Jumps)

3) Engineers (at least for the FSD) and a suitable Ship that offers a nice Jumprange is highly recommended, an unlocked Guardian FSD Booster is also extremely helpful
(the cheap and small Hauler for example is a quite capable Exploration Ship, alot of bang for the buck)
So having Farseer unlocked and access to Grade 5 FSD Engineering in the Deciat System is probably the minimum Engineering you'd want on any Exploration trip.

4) Exploration Ship building is different....
Instead of A-Grading everything, specific (heavy) parts are typically D-Graded. D-Grade has the least weight and hence helps optimizing Jumprange.
Only exception really is the FSD, this must be A-Grade (downsizing it has no advantages, only disadvantages and quite severe at such).
Anything B-Grade (double the weight for a mere ~10% higher Integrity) should be avoided like the plague.

btw. the most used Exploration Ships are (roughly) :
Diamondback Explorer, Asp Explorer, Krait Phantom, Anaconda

I own a Viper MkIII.

Ideally, yes. A Diamondback Explorer with a A-rated FSD drive jumps around 40 LY without any engineering, and 60+ with engineering. At 10LY you currently can't plot a straight course, you'll end up with a weird zig-zag pattern and dead-ends. Even with a 'cheap' diamondback explorer I could travel the same distance in 30 minutes that would cost you a day in your current ship. Try to get at least 30 LY and your life will be a lot easier!

As for which direction: the further to the edge you go the more distant the stars are from each other. Towards the center is easier, and there is plenty of stuff to see.

btw. the most used Exploration Ships are (roughly) :
Diamondback Explorer, Asp Explorer, Krait Phantom, Anaconda

Oh oki.
Another question, what is the most balanced ship?
For combat, mining and exploring?

Between jumps, I try to do quests.
I guess I should own a ship for every kind of quest and change ship whenever situation demands it.

I unlocked Farseer and it told me its marked on my map, but didn't look for it yet.

As for which direction: the further to the edge you go the more distant the stars are from each other. Towards the center is easier, and there is plenty of stuff to see.

Oki, thx.
Guess I'll go back and do lots of quests and buy a bigger ship.

Thx for your help. :)

Play 2 accounts.
One for bubble quest fun and the other for sending way out into the black to go tagging.

Good ships for exploring are the ones that have great canopies.

Deleted member 38366

D
Oh oki.

I guess I should own a ship for every kind of quest and change ship whenever situation demands it.

I unlocked Farseer and it told me its marked on my map, but didn't look for it yet.

For Combat, Mining and Exploring? There's a few candidates, although opinions differ greatly.
The "King of Multirole" is likely the Anaconda. Very good for Combat, Mining or Exploration.
A Krait Phantom is possibly the next best thing, others might suggest a Python.
On a small scale, an Asp Explorer works as well and amongst the smallest multirole Ships the Cobra Mk.III stands out. Those are small Ships though, so that'll come with some limitations for Mining and especially Combat.

In any case though, the Ship will require respective builds to optimize it for its respective role, since the different roles have fundamentally different outfitting and Engineering requirements.
And yes, it's massively more convenient and practical to operate various Ships that are fully optimized for an intended role.

I'm unsure what you mean by "Quests", since there's (almost) no such thing in ELITE.
At best, I think you mean Missions issued by local Factions and obtained from the Mission Board.

On the Farseer Galaxy Map location, it should look like this (System location : Deciat) ; if it does not, re-check your Galaxy Map filters and associated Icon display filters.

Alternatively, check the Engineers Page in your right Ship Panel :

One word of Caution about the Deciat System :
If it's anything like PC in the XBOX world, Deciat is overrun by Gankers in Open Play who shoot first and ask questions... well, never.
The System is entirely lost to Lawless chaos and Anarchy and has a System Security rating of doesn't even register.
For newer Players, it's not recommended to enter such a mudhole in Open Play, unless you either like losing your Ship and get Rebuy Screen training over and over - or know exactly what you're doing.

The man is flying a Viper III. It is unfair to talk Anacondas to him.

Try the Adder for basic exploring. The Diamondback Scout is an decent small explorer and runabout ship (It can do combat IF fitted properly too).

The Cobra MKIII can do everything. It is the best small scale multirole ship. I'd still recommend switching internals, or getting additional ships for specialized roles though.

Next is the Keelback, The Diamondback Explorer, The ASP Explorer, Krait Phantom, Regular Krait, and the Python.

My recommendation would be to have a couple ships to exploit different roles. Switching equipment is time-consuming, and flying a Jack of all Trades ship is a good way of failing at all. One or two roles per ship max.

Keep the Viper, but use it for combat. Buy a Cobra III for mining and trading. And maybe an Adder for entry-level exploring.

As for original discoveries, go about 1000 to 1500 ly and head up or down. That's where most of the undiscovered stuff is. Most people go towards the Galactic center so going in other directions means you'll find undiscovered stuff faster.

Oh oki.

Oki, thx.
Guess I'll go back and do lots of quests and buy a bigger ship.

Thx for your help. :)

More quests, bigger ship - here is what I did:

I was still flying the Sidewinder, so I bought a Hauler. Look at the Hauler, it is an interesting ship, and nothing you would want to do combat with. But as your first super cheap explorer it will do well.
Here is a build, similar to my old build: Hauler in an explorer role

It has a price of 1.5 millions, if you don't have as much, just leave out the 'Detailed Surface Scanner', and add it later. Its jump range is 22 ly, and it has a decent shield.

With this build you can leave the bubble and explore. If you need money fast, I recommend the 'Roads 2 Riches' site, mentioned elsewhere here. This will compile tours for you to fly and scan systems. The data will be quite valuable and you can make millions with every tour. My Hauler paid for itself after just one short expedition.

If you have enough money - buy a Diamondback Explorer (DBX). This is the ship with the best jump range without engineering, AFAIK. My DBX now is engineered, has a decent A-rated shield and weapons, engineered thrusters (to get away) and a good FSD. It has a jump range of 60.9 ly. This is good enough to reach nearly every system.

Also think about unlocking Elvira Martuuk and/or Felicity Farseer. Both have useful engineering for explorers and are meant as starting points.

Do not sell your Viper III, it is not an explorer, but a good starter combat ship.

go to http://coriolis.io/ and play with ship builds - you'll soon get the hang of what works for different roles.
For exploring, D class modules are your friends as they have the lowest mass. A- rated frameshift drive, everything else D.
Some recommend no shield, but I find I like the idea of some protection from bumps and bashes. A fuel scoop is mandatory !

Exploration is more rewarding if you can scan interesting worlds, and you can make a lot of cash on the side, so I would get a DSS if you can. And take an AFMU - even a small one so you can do running repairs. The adder will get you upto about 28ly or even your trusty sidewinder can manage 22ly with all D modules. Ditch the lasers and utilities for exploration (play in solo if you are worried about being shot up by other players). A heatsink can be of use for dealing with dropping out into a binary star which can happen.

For myself, running the guardians trip was my first intro to exploration. In a cobra to start and then a dbx - I would get some experience and cash then rank up to the dbx before making your way into deep space. Its a capable explorer with long range and excellent heat management allowing fast scooping.

Also make use of the route plotter - you may have it set to 'economical' which is unhelpful for getting out of the bubble (though it can be of use for finding undiscovered to explore a dense area). Route plotting is then about finding the path less travelled - there are well trodden tourist routes to the major nebulae, but less explored regions lay above and below the galactic plane - choose a weird route and you will find plenty of undiscovered worlds. There are more than enough Earth-Likes to go around :)

Hi,

So I thought the best way to find new systems is to reach the end of a road and try to find a new system. Since the ones in existing routes seems to have all been discovered.

I'm in a 1star system with no planets... no route to follow. (beside backtracking)

I can't figure how to do it. I saw videos on youtube how to map planets or get info on planets but not how to find new stellar systems.
Leave the Buble
Hi,

Leave the Bubble. You will find millions of unexplored systems out there.

You need to get a few thousand light years away from the bubble to really start finding systems that are unexplored. Wait a little longer before you go out and do that. Get some engineers unlocked and get a high jump range ship outfitted for long range. Theres alot of advice on that subject I can give if your interested.

This is my current long range build I use.

Heres a tip about multirole ships. They can do different jobs but not at the same time. The asp explorer can fight explore and trade but it cannot do all three at the same time. You have to kit it out for the task you want to do.

CMDR Orvidius has a very nice page with sample ship builds for exploration, and data to help you decide your next exploration vessel. The page includes tips and tricks. It's a very nice resource for new explorers

https://edastro.com/exploration/#shiplist

Props to Orvidius for his work, not just in this aspect, but maps, data, etc.

Top Bottom