Can't login with ED launcher

I'm one of the many players who started playing because of the free Epic Games release. Last night I registered and linked an account, got it to work after multiple attempts and "Please buy the game" messages, and played the game. It worked perfectly fine. I was actually having a lot of fun. However, when I tried to load the game today, I can't. The main problem is that when I press play in the ED launcher, nothing happens. It seems to be in a loading phase where I can't click anything in the launcher, including the exit and minimize buttons, and it also doesn't highlight them when I hover my mouse over them. So no mouse input in the launcher. Then after a few seconds, the play button is still there, everything goes back to normal, and it's like I never pressed it all. It goes without saying that the game didn't launch. Is anyone else having this problem? Is this an issue I just need to wait out? Is it a problem on my end or the servers'? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: After a bit more experimentation, I've found out something. Not the solution, but something. I've been launching the launcher from the Epic Games Store. But if I go into the files directly and run the launcher there, it prompts me to login. This is unlike when I launched from EGS, where I was signed in. Unfortunately, I also get the infinite "buy the game" prompt loop like many other players. So if I launch it through EG, the launcher just doesn't seem to work, and if I run the launcher directly, I get the loop. What's bothering me the most is why it worked for me last night, but not today. Again, I eventually got it to work and played the game, but now I'm out of ideas.

Edit:
had the exact problem being described here. issue was with autoupdates in epic and, for some reason, epic needing to be run as administrator before it will install or update. The hint came from when trying to verify ED install, would think and then say it couldn't access install directory.

shut down Epic, (make sure fully, including fron system tray) and restart it as administrator. then from ED in library, click the three dots next to game and Verify - runs for a minute, updates and ... launcher now works, game works, all good.

dont trust epic's auto-update!
This fixed everything. Loving the game. Commander Crag_bomb, you have my thanks.

Last edited:
Hm. Not sure if this is still an issue, but do you have ED set (in the Epic Games Launcher) to auto-update? If not, you may need to tell it to update. Epic updated the launcher, and perhaps you still have the old version? Just a wild guess.

After a bit more experimentation
Hm. Not sure if this is still an issue, but do you have ED set (in the Epic Games Launcher) to auto-update? If not, you may need to tell it to update. Epic updated the launcher, and perhaps you still have the old version? Just a wild guess.
Yes, auto-update is on. I did some more fiddling around with the launcher, signed in and out of both the EGS and Frontier account I created multiple times. Same problem. I feel like this is in the devs' hands at this point, which sucks. I want to run out of gas and call for the Fuel Rats for the first time, dang it! :(

Glad that I'm not the only one - same story on my side - got the game for free, played a couple of days, and insta-fell in love with it but since today it won't start anymore :(

Click on play => nothing happens - no matter if I run ED launcher via desktop icon or via Epic Games launcher.

Tried "Validate Game Files" within ED Launcher => will throw "incorrect manifest checksum" at me. Googled for that error and tried a lot of suggestions like uninstalling + reinstalling Visual C++ runtimes or deleting VirtualCache.xml or logging out the machine and re-login+verification code but didn't help. Verification of the game files via Epic Games Launcher did not help either.

Edit: My impression is that this is somehow related to the launcher only because I can run EliteDangerous64.exe and the game will show up,. load the shaders, etc. but will eventually complain that I shall run it via the launcher....

Edit2: I suspect that the linkage between my Frontier account and my Epic Games account got flawed somehow... there is no "Epic Games" displayed at

It just says "You have no linked third-party accounts."

Is this normal?

On the other hand, Elite Dangerous is listed on https://www.epicgames.com/account/connections

Last edited:
Seems to be plain server-side issue! Today it started to work again out of nothing...

Edit: Manifest checksum error when verifying game files with ED launcher is gone too....

Last edited:
had the exact problem being described here. issue was with autoupdates in epic and, for some reason, epic needing to be run as administrator before it will install or update. The hint came from when trying to verify ED install, would think and then say it couldn't access install directory.

shut down Epic, (make sure fully, including fron system tray) and restart it as administrator. then from ED in library, click the three dots next to game and Verify - runs for a minute, updates and ... launcher now works, game works, all good.

dont trust epic's auto-update!

I at least got a message that there was an update (even though it was false) and it wouldn't let me get into the game. The issue was that i had linked my account to my Steam account, which broke it. Unlinking the account fixed it for me. I'm not sure if this is YOUR solution, but it's something to check out. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom