Capping the collectible bounty at 2m makes no sense now and discourages fighting pirate cmdr’s

It made sense to cap back when it took weeks to earn enough to unlock a Viper, and an exploit was for two players to get a huge bounty on themselves and then kill each other to collect, but now - with mining, passenger runs etc paying huge dividends - I’m not gonna risk my ship tracking down and killing a ganker notorious fellow Cmdr for 2m, especially if they have a 50m+ bounty on them, when I can earn that in 5 minutes with 2 vopals. Give me the 50m and suddenly the risk/reward becomes more attractive, and it’s open season on these Cmdr's.

As it is, if I see a huge bounty on a Cmdr I just leave well alone, as my damage bill will be way more than I could ever hope to collect.

Seems a fair point. Since credits are now trivial to acquire in vast quantities it seems rather odd to artificially cap one method of earning them.

Is there a reason I'm missing here?

Same as before - to prevent getting much money early and fast. For seasoned players 2M isn't much, for starting player 2M is enough to get well equipped DBX. Raise bounty payout to 50M and within hour of starting ED one can jump straight into Python. Do it two more times and bam - Anaconda.

So to avoid minority exploiting the system, majority is given severe restrictions.

Give them a scaling cap of something like "2M or the target vessel's rebuy, whichever is greater". In the time it'd take to earn a 2M bounty in a ship with a cheaper rebuy than that, you could have earned credits honestly way quicker.
The other day I helped a guy out by cracking a single opal asteroid and going out to meet him at a sell site, earned him a cool 20M with way less effort (and cost) than racking up a huge bounty and letting him kill me 10 times.

VO mining has made that a moot point.
Yeah, even cracking a single asteroid for a buddy and delivering them the goods (and an early-game player can easily rustle up the 16t or so of cargo space that a single core asteroid will get you) will fund the purchase of a pretty solid starter mining ship, and from there they can grab as many as they could ever need without your help.

VO mining has made that a moot point.

Probably but VO require some knowledge and preparations (proper outfitting) which dictates large enough ship and few modules. Which translates to certain amount of credits that new players simply don't have. Mindless shooting is available in stock Winder. I see this as a remnant of old decisions that weren't reviewed for some time hence current weirdness.

Probably but VO require some knowledge and preparations (proper outfitting) which dictates large enough ship and few modules. Which translates to certain amount of credits that new players simply don't have. Mindless shooting is available in stock Winder. I see this as a remnant of old decisions that weren't reviewed for some time hence current weirdness.
Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can VO mine to some extent in a Cobra III.

Edit:
https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk...==.Aw18cQ==..EweloBhBGA2GoFMCGBzANokCJTyCIA==

It's not pretty and it's got the survivability of a marshmallow in a supernova, but it's doable :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can VO mine to some extent in a Cobra III.

Edit:
https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii?code=A0peteFeledesef43M-3R-2x-0303491l0101P400.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==..EweloBhBGA2GoFMCGBzANokCJTyCIA==

It's not pretty and it's got the survivability of a marshmallow in a supernova, but it's doable :)
I did exactly that yesterday. Two cores, one VO and one Granddad-ite, netted me a solid 30m for half an hours' work (actually it was a lot of fun). Ship cost was 4m only because I A-rated everything.

As for the OP, I'd agree - but out of fear of exploiting it they could tie it to rank, on a sliding scale (say, 99% discount above a certain threshold (like the 2m) if Mostly Harmless, etc.).

Or rather than rank, base it on total asset value (although lore wise a bit tricky to explain that).

a stock 'winder has 4 tons of cargo space, if I wanted to boost a newbie then I could drop them 4t of opals, which will sell for three times the current bounty cap.

Just take it from the criminals pocket and there will be no magical clone credits to worry about.

I wouldn't mind at all for my actions to have consequences, right now the only incentive I've got to clean bounties is to go stalking populated stations with a manifest scanner and if I need to engineer something at a base I'm wanted at.

Having people of all ranks hunting me down for the bounty would be awesome.

Same as before - to prevent getting much money early and fast. For seasoned players 2M isn't much, for starting player 2M is enough to get well equipped DBX. Raise bounty payout to 50M and within hour of starting ED one can jump straight into Python. Do it two more times and bam - Anaconda.

So to avoid minority exploiting the system, majority is given severe restrictions.

But a starting player wouldn’t have the ship, or skills, to take down one of these players. By the time they have both they’re in the “I can earn 2m easy” bracket.

Just take it from the criminals pocket and there will be no magical clone credits to worry about.

I wouldn't mind at all for my actions to have consequences, right now the only incentive I've got to clean bounties is to go stalking populated stations with a manifest scanner and if I need to engineer something at a base I'm wanted at.

Having people of all ranks hunting me down for the bounty would be awesome.

Exactly this. I think it would be great for both hunter and hunted.

I think the problem is not so much the use for money transfer - void opals or wing missions are obviously far more efficient for that - as the use for evading the bounty system entirely.

Two players each run up a 100 million bounty, then swap kills on each other. If there's no cap on bounty payouts, then they're only down a rebuy afterwards, as paying out their bounty is cancelled by collecting the other bounty. And if there's five such players making use of the wing bounty copying, they can murder hundreds of ships and then make a profit out of it.

It's a little more involved than the old suicidewinder bounty clearing exploit, but not very much.

Capping the bounty payout well below the actual bounty amount (and also well below the rebuy on a high-end medium combat ship) means that this isn't exploitable.

At the moment, PvP bounty hunters can't get paid because of the bounty cap. With this exploit - as it was pre-3.0 with the suicidewinder exploit - PvP bounty hunters wouldn't get paid because the criminals would be giving their bounties to each other, so never having particularly high bounties in the first place.

Top Bottom