Carcharodontosaurus design:

The Carcharodontosaurus in Jurassic World Evolution looks weird, I thought it would look different. Instead it looks
like a carnivore with ''Bearded Dragon ancestry'' and appears to have Rhinoceros unicornis dna due to the spines on top of the dinosaur.
It actually does remind me of a Bearded Dragon and a Unicorn.
BeardedDragon_8.jpg

1920px-One_horned_Rhino.jpg

I thought that the Carcharodontosaurus would have looked similar to these two depictions:
carcharodontosaurus_by_retlaw095_dckru7y-pre.jpg

carcharodontosaurus_by_fredthedinosaurman_dbrxl0t-pre.jpg

I know that they are related, but these two species should have actual visible differences that aren't made up.

Last edited:
Same reason Deinonychus has a crest, it's to differentiate it from a species already in the game. Those pictures you posted look to similar to Giganotosaurus.

Last edited:
I think the looks good it's just Waaaay to small should be just under Tyrannosaur size

It's the same size as the Giganotosaurus.

Same reason Deinonychus has a crest, it's to differentiate it from a species already in the game. Those picture you posted look to similar to Giganotosaurus.

Giganoto and Carcharadonto are quite similar in look due to being very closely-related species. Making Cacharadonto's head sloped to a pointed snout and a leaner overall physique were the best ways to make it look different at a glance.

But couldn't they just give the two species different skin patterns? The Deinonychus didn't need the weird crest or the weird sail because it's skull is very noticeably different.
There must be some actual physical difference between the Giganotosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus. Because they are two different species.

Last edited:
But couldn't they just give the two species different skin patterns? The Deinonychus didn't need the weird crest or the weird sail because it's skull is very noticeably different.
There must be some actual physical difference between the Giganotosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus. Because they are two different species.

Frontier would get butchered for making Cacharodontosaurus identical to Giga. They get a bad enough rep for dinosaurs being quite similar from each other. If Velociraptor and Deinonychus were identical minus the skins, Deinonychus would be considered a waste of space and people would say that Velociraptor should just have its skins, because people already complain the lack of variety in its skins.

There certainly could be some actual physical difference, because bones only tell so much, and like you said they are two different species. They're of different genera too. When you compare the skeletons of two different animals, they can appear quite similar. Add the rest of the animal though and they can look very different beyond even color patterns. Cetaceans for example can look quite different between each other despite having very similar skeletons. Our information on dinosaurs is almost entirely based on fossils of their skeletons. We don't have all the details on the meat of these animals. Frontier took some liberty in that to help differentiate the animals. You asked for some actual physical difference, and you got it. The issue is its not the difference you wanted. That's fair though, it's a matter of opinion. Making the Carcharodontosaurus model identical to Giga would not have been good though.

I am pretty sure their skull is different. By actual, I mean scientifically accurate differences. Or at least something doesn't make
the Carcharodontosaurus look like a monster. I want a dinosaur that feels natural.

Last edited:
I also imagined him different, more robust and with skull more similar to giga. But I liked him.

Just the fact that he's in the game is already sensational. Finally!

This DLC was a pleasant surprise. I heard it and in a minute I made the purchase.

I have already complained a lot here in the forum (especially the DLC of the hybrids, in which I find only the Troodon interesting), but this time I have to praise.

Congratulations, Frontier. You've surprised me. I did not expect it!

Yeah, it should have look more similar to the Giga although there are some noticeable differents, if I am correct, the Carcharodontosaurus had a more slender snout than the Giganotosaurus along with some differences. The In game Giga does probably have it’s own inaccuracies as well but I am not sure if Frontier will change the models anytime soon again.

Last edited:
I think your concerns over Carcharodontosaurus's appearance can be resolved by a simple question. Which skull belongs to Carcharodontosaurus and which belongs to Giganotosaurus?

3f604732200b962230748a0bbeae98db4adb77ea_hq.jpg

42-18438715_1024x1024.jpeg

I'd wager this is a pretty easy question to answer, and you can see where Frontier and other artists draw their perspectives from when offering their impressions of the animals. I won't lie and say I fully anticipated it to look like it does in game, but I do see where the design comes from.

Last edited:
The fenestra appear to be different and there is a latern jaw on the top one. The top one is probably the Giganotosaurus.
The Carcharodontosaurus has a snout that is more slender but I can't tell from this view. The two species might look
similar in the game but they will be noticably different since Frontier has abide by JP rules and make the species shrink wrapped.
The fenestra of the two species are different from each other.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people really wanted this dino but I have always been secretly against it simply because of this. It is just too similar to giga and the only way I could see them having it in is if they made it smaller and leaner. I have not seen it in game yet but it looks about right. Im surprised I havent seen any threads about dreadnoughtus and how it looks like mamenchi/ankylodocus mix. At least Iguanadon looks really good and is unique not that I hate the other two.

Yeah they are similar, sadly Frontier made the Carcharodontosaurus unrecognizable.
I wish they made it scientifically accurate as possible since there are still noticeable differences between the two,
They should have picked another species.

Yeah they are similar, sadly Frontier made the Carcharodontosaurus unrecognizable.
I wish they made it scientifically accurate as possible since there are still noticeable differences between the two,
They should have picked another species.

I....well tbh I put into question your ability to recognize Carcharodontosaurus if you couldn't immediately and with ease identify its skull when compared with the skull of Giganotosaurus. Regardless, you were right in your answer.

maxresdefault.jpg

3014671054_1b634ab83f_b.jpg

The Carcharodontosaurus is easily identifiable as a Carcharodontosaurid at the very least. It visibly has a more narrow snout, and we see similar/matching proportions in Frontier's depiction.

maxresdefault.jpg

giganotosaurus-by-kabacchi-CC.jpg

The same can be said about Giganotosaurus. Frontier followed the skull shapes closely when depicting the two animals. That's where I take issue with the depictions you presented. The issue being that they appear more like Giganotosaurus than its relative, most notably the lantern jaw which you attributed to the Giganotosaurus skull. Carcharodontosaurus doesn't display as prominent of a chin on its jaw, and yet we see that in the depictions you provided. The upper jaw is also more rounded, more comparable to the skull of Giganotosaurus than the more angular Carcharodontosaurus. Lastly, in the depictions you provided shows a bumpy ridge along the top of its head ending in a small, almost crest-like feature. We see this on the skull of Giganotosaurus, but Carcharodontosaurus skulls appear a bit smoother by comparison.

Of course, as an artist's impression, this would just be the artist putting some meat on the bone. The point is though that, visually speaking, the depictions you've provided show greater similarities to Giganotosaurus's skull than Carcharodontosaurus's. Frontier chose to have its depiction more closely resemble the shape of its skull to better differentiate it from Giganotosaurus. Where they may have took some creative liberties is the overall more slender build of Carcharodontosaurus, to which you can say what you will about it.

So, in short, it is certainly recognizable as Carcharodontosaurus, and I wouldn't call Frontier's depiction scientifically inaccurate as they chose to make its head more closely resemble the fossils of its skull, its most notable and appearance defining feature (other than its size, of course, which you're free to take issue with). The issue lies with the dissimilarities between Frontier's depiction and how you feel the animal should look based on other artist's depictions you are used to. This makes it a subjective issue and a matter of opinion rather than an objective issue. Or, alternatively, this is an issue with shrink-wrapping, which can be an objective issue as it isn't an accurate depiction of the animal. That, however, is an issue many of the JP dinosaurs have and is a different topic altogether. Despite all of this, we don't know what these animals look like, and we probably never will. All we can offer is our approximations.

To wrap my post up, I present to you a depiction of Giganotosaurus with features reminiscent of a bearded dragon and a rhinoceros lol.
giganotosaurusWC2-576806a83df78ca6e4c57c2f.jpg

Last edited:
I....well tbh I put into question your ability to recognize Carcharodontosaurus if you couldn't immediately and with ease identify its skull when compared with the skull of Giganotosaurus. Regardless, you were right in your answer.

The Carcharodontosaurus is easily identifiable as a Carcharodontosaurid at the very least. It visibly has a more narrow snout, and we see similar/matching proportions in Frontier's depiction.

The same can be said about Giganotosaurus. Frontier followed the skull shapes closely when depicting the two animals. That's where I take issue with the depictions you presented. The issue being that they appear more like Giganotosaurus than its relative, most notably the lantern jaw which you attributed to the Giganotosaurus skull. Carcharodontosaurus doesn't display as prominent of a chin on its jaw, and yet we see that in the depictions you provided. The upper jaw is also more rounded, more comparable to the skull of Giganotosaurus than the more angular Carcharodontosaurus. Lastly, in the depictions you provided shows a bumpy ridge along the top of its head ending in a small, almost crest-like feature. We see this on the skull of Giganotosaurus, but Carcharodontosaurus skulls appear a bit smoother by comparison.

Of course, as an artist's impression, this would just be the artist putting some meat on the bone. The point is though that, visually speaking, the depictions you've provided show greater similarities to Giganotosaurus's skull than Carcharodontosaurus's. Frontier chose to have its depiction more closely resemble the shape of its skull to better differentiate it from Giganotosaurus. Where they may have took some creative liberties is the overall more slender build of Carcharodontosaurus, to which you can say what you will about it.

So, in short, it is certainly recognizable as Carcharodontosaurus, and I wouldn't call Frontier's depiction scientifically inaccurate as they chose to make its head more closely resemble the fossils of its skull, its most notable and appearance defining feature (other than its size, of course, which you're free to take issue with). The issue lies with the dissimilarities between Frontier's depiction and how you feel the animal should look based on other artist's depictions you are used to. This makes it a subjective issue and a matter of opinion rather than an objective issue. Or, alternatively, this is an issue with shrink-wrapping, which can be an objective issue as it isn't an accurate depiction of the animal. That, however, is an issue many of the JP dinosaurs have and is a different topic altogether. Despite all of this, we don't know what these animals look like, and we probably never will. All we can offer is our approximations.

To wrap my post up, I present to you a depiction of Giganotosaurus with features reminiscent of a bearded dragon and a rhinoceros lol.

Even when you compare it to the bottom image in OPs post Frontier's model actually does look very similar to it just spikier. I think Frontier did a great job on this one and I am glad it got in since so many people wanted it. It probably be one of those dinos that grows on you after a while.

Oh no, it's head is slightly elongated and now it doesn't look exactly the same as the Giga!! What a disaster!

I've heard Dino Freaks were the hardest JPOG guests to keep happy, but this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Like I said, I liked the addition of it to the game, but I agree with those who did not like his design very much.

I think it got very thin, something there is not attractive.Not seem to be a great theropod like the rest. Not one of the best models. (I think Frontier will not change that, now it will be like this.)

Another annoying thing is his broken spine. It does not stand straight, it has ripples. It has to be fixed.

Blubbit, before you posted the comment, I left the forum topic so i couldn't really reply sooner.
I did research on the differences of the Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus just to make sure that there were differences.
However, I did that before you actually posted it.

Top Bottom