Cargo mechanics

On the off chance that a dev sees this, is there any way to keep a ships cargo in its cargo bay when switching ships. It makes no sense that when I'm flying around in my asp with 104 tons of cargo space and i want to fly around in my eagle for a bit that I have to sell all my cargo first.
I think we should be able to transfer cargo from your active ship to one stored at the station you are docked at. We can already transfer cargo from srvs to the mother ship so the mechanics are there. Imagine being able to stock up on a particular rare commodity over time untill you have a full ship and sell it all at once.

Yes, but im saying that it shouldn't be exclusive to fc and srvs.
Of course if a ship is storing cargo, it should be locked to that station unless the commander flys it out. In other words, you wouldn't be able to go to another station, then have your cargo ship transferred there. That would alter trading too much.

Well, sure. But all sarcasm aside, it seems reasonable to suppose that the devs are well aware of this idea, seeing as it has gotten a forum thread every few weeks for the last several years. Which suggests they have consciously chosen to make the game this way because it is part of the gameplay challenge they want to create. Until you get to the endgame and are allowed to opt out of that part of the challenge, as happens in plenty of games. Instead, they have created things like CQC and Multicrew to give players a "I want to fly a different ship for a little while" option.

To take the subject in a less redundant-suggestions-thread direction, one supposes the devs are going to have to think about this again for Odyssey. After all, from what we've had described so far, there's no particular reason you couldn't park your ship somewhere, walk over to the nearest Apex Interstellar office or maybe even into a wingmate's ship, and fly off somewhere else. Unless Apex just refuses to transport you if you have unsold cargo in your hold, that seems a lot like switching-ships-with-cargo but with extra (literal) steps.

This is something that has been suggested for years but the devs haven't budged, though we did get something like that with FCs (not valid for mission cargo though).

That said, Odyssey might bring some changes. I don't see how you would be prevented from leaving your ship and taking an APEX transport elsewhere, just because your ship currently has cargo.

Perhaps it's just a pipe dream to think that anything from the forums ever makes it into the game or that fdev would ever consider what the players want. I think Ill just go back to my corner and daydream.
Screenshot_20201111-161901~3.png

Last edited:
this and ship loadout have been asked since ..... ages. But FD do not like QOL update. it seems , they like money update. =D
But i agree they are doing some great job for the odysee release.

But FD do not like QOL update. it seems , they like money update. =D
You must be fairly new around here. Long enough to pick up the basics of forum salt, not long enough to know that we're just coming off of four years of free updates. The correct forum meta would be to complain about unfixed bugs or something.

You must be fairly new around here. Long enough to pick up the basics of forum salt, not long enough to know that we're just coming off of four years of free updates. The correct forum meta would be to complain about unfixed bugs or something.
I'm pretty long term player , and not that new to this forum.

Bugs are like QOL , they do not increase money alot.

And yes we had 4 year of "free" update , not that free since we'r still generating money throught arx and elite worked well enought for FD to make many other games.
And yes they "fixed" some bug and made some QOL improvement , but they still got very long way on this. Plus they are recently creating more bug than they solve.
Also , if they want people to buy the next "era" they have to maintain the game , to a minimum this is why many asked if the game were "in maintenance mode"

Sorry but game dev is now long term dev , on many many many games . Look at NMS , this is free update , i still prefer elite but they do much more work. Nearly all the dev / game company maintain their game many years after launch , especialy on multiplayer games .

My fear is elite is hard to "change" du to an over complicated code or something.

Anyway the semptember update is still in my memory (that was the real bug fix forum meta ;) ) , as long as the old engineers system , with limited material ect.

There is many room for improvement in QOL for ship customisation ect . The hope stay with odysee and maybe some new QOL/bugfix patches.

My fear is elite is hard to "change" du to an over complicated code or something.

No its because FD want Elite to be a simple game to be played from 4 to 15 years old people.
They don't want a "spaceship" simulation but a simple game to shoot at things, even rocks.

Top Bottom