Dinosaurs Carnivore diets: meat varieties

I love the Paleobotany idea and how it adds a lot of options and ways to plan enclosures and mix herbivores and promote their health and lifespan and prestige. It got me to thinking, wouldn't it be cool to do a similar thing with the carnivores? All meat is not created equal, just like with veggies, and what kind of meat they eat would affect them the same way.

For the meat slab feeder, these could be the choices:
Goat
Beef
Pork
Poultry
Game (wild animals like deer, bison, kangaroo, etc)

And for the live feeder:
Goat
Cow
Pig
Turkey
Deer

With the various preferences and penalties as the Paleobotany system. For example, Velociraptor's primary preference is Beef/Cow, with Goat and Game/Deer as secondaries but Pork/Pig is detrimental to it. Troodon/Proceratosaurus' primary preference is Poultry/Turkey with Pork/Pig and Goat as secondaries but Beef/Cow is detrimental. Acrocanthosaurus' primary is Beef/Cow with Pork/Pig and Game/Deer as secondaries but Poultry/Turkey is detrimental, etc etc (actually for the Large theropods have it so they don't even notice the Turkey, Medium theropods can eat them but they'd need to eat two or three to get completely full). You'd still be able to mix Small and Medium/Large theropods as long as they share the same preferences, of course, and the Spinosaurids have their own fish feeder now so they can easily have any Small theropod and its food preference with them.

Crocodile might be a good thematic food item. In the real world crocodiles and alligators are already being bred for their meat. And having them in the game might be a nice thematic option since crocodiles and alligators were present during the time of the dinosaurs. There is also some direct evidence for dinosaurs eating crocodiles (such as Ceratosaurus).

Crocodile might be a good thematic food item. In the real world crocodiles and alligators are already being bred for their meat. And having them in the game might be a nice thematic option since crocodiles and alligators were present during the time of the dinosaurs. There is also some direct evidence for dinosaurs eating crocodiles (such as Ceratosaurus).
That would be a good option for the Fish Feeder, actually, if it had options like Perch, Shark, Catfish, and other large aquatic fish/reptiles. Be weird watching an alligator waddle off the live feeder and around the enclosure until it gets eaten.

Hmm, but wouldn't the optimal food be other dinosaur?
For instance a high tech live feeder releasing a cow sized juvenile sauropod.

Totally agree that the carnivores' preferred food should be their natural prey - other dinos. Frontier just need to improve the metabolism so they don't hunt as often as they do at the moment and I think this would be a big step towards the Site B that lots of us would love to see.

That would be a good option for the Fish Feeder, actually, if it had options like Perch, Shark, Catfish, and other large aquatic fish/reptiles. Be weird watching an alligator waddle off the live feeder and around the enclosure until it gets eaten.
Why would that be weird to see a croc walking around? That would be the most logical and natural food in the game yet.

That reference to the Paleobotany-thing in the DLC is nice, good idea. However, adding more live bait animals would be great, would give the game a bit more diversity. The Indominus for example got fed with steers, so there is also a reference to the movies.

I agree with both approaches (more live bait options and using other dinosaurs as preys) as there is canon for both.

Using other dinosaurs as prey would be the logical way to implement the paleofeeding system for carnivores, but I don't know how well received that approach would be both from the Hammond Foundation (dinosaurs are crazily expensive to produce after all) and from public opinion's pov.

I think both live baits and other dinosaurs used on carnivore's diets should be left to create feeding shows, not actual feeding. That is, activating the live bait feeder should attract the carnivore to the viewing area and increase the chance of it triggering the hunting animations. This should naturally increase the carnivore's score greatly but hardly improving their hunger levels, unless the live prey is their prefered one. In this case, I think the main drawback could be both the cost of the feeded dinosaur and some potential blow to the Park's reputation (random, as these things seem to go om fashion trends).

Regular livestock would be much cheaper and far less nutritive: it wouldn't only keep the carni's hunger from decrease drastically, but also have a chance to cause illness according to the carnivore's species "harmful meat" tabs. For instance, it is said in the novel that some animals (I think raptors, but don't remember) developed something called DX after being feed goat meat because of prions.

Providing live dinosaurs would be far more expensive but would in turn increase both the carnivore's score and it's lifespam.

Balanced diets, however, are usually scheduled for every species separatedly so regular carnivore feeders could be stocked for every carnivore family via research. Maybe with tiers with proportions to make each portiom cheaper.

Last edited:
I think at the very least cows should be added since that is canon to the first movie. As for dinos as food this can already be done in game but can be improved upon. Perhaps they could come out with a new gene that improves the nutrition of the dino and lowers the cost (to make it more feasible) but the trade off would be that the lifespan is severely cut and for balancing purposes severely cut its resilience so that it has a higher chance of getting disease (for the prey). This could give incentive to use resilience genes to counter that for whatever reasons. Finally after all that we could mirror the paleo botany stuff but giving carnivores preferred dinos to feed from (for example T-rex may prefer edmontosaurus) and get the same or similar kind of buffs that herbivores have.

You know what I overreacted to this thread. I wouldn't mind carnivore paleobotany because after all. Carnivores are meant to be kept apart. It's the herbivore paleobotany I don't like because in all my parks I put the herbivores in the same enclosure.

You know what I overreacted to this thread. I wouldn't mind carnivore paleobotany because after all. Carnivores are meant to be kept apart. It's the herbivore paleobotany I don't like because in all my parks I put the herbivores in the same enclosure.
well although I dont mind the paleobotany it is a little lackluster. Useful for maxing out stats if you set it up right but other than that it doesnt offer anything really interesting.

Dryosaurus for live bait feeder. Lol

Or how about komodo dragon feeders

Speaking of monitor lizards... The giant one from australia could be made into an attraction dino one day...

Invisible fencing system now!

Top Bottom