Newcomer / Intro Carrier Questions

I have a few carrier questions. Excuse me for not knowing.

Why do carriers sit in engineers systems and also and in particular Jameson crash site (and I assume Dav's hope etc)?
How do you know if you can land on one?
How do you contact a carrier owner?

I have a few carrier questions. Excuse me for not knowing.

Why do carriers sit in engineers systems and also and in particular Jameson crash site (and I assume Dav's hope etc)?
How do you know if you can land on one?
For the first question, presumably because the carrier owner can then summon their entire fleet (and that of their squadron, if they have one) to that carrier and then just shuttle up and down to the engineer's base, thereby obtaining yet another shortcut in this once-great game.

2. If you click and pull up the info screen in your Nav panel it says something about landing rights.

3. No idea!

For the first question, presumably because the carrier owner can then summon their entire fleet (and that of their squadron, if they have one) to that carrier and then just shuttle up and down to the engineer's base, thereby obtaining yet another shortcut in this once-great game.

2. If you click and pull up the info screen in your Nav panel it says something about landing rights.

3. No idea!
But why Jameson crash site? What is there for them to sit there?

But why Jameson crash site? What is there for them to sit there?
Guess they're using the same thing to harvest Guardian tech? Or they just like it out there! Or they like to harrass people playing in Open? Don't know, I hang around engineering bases a lot but not often the crash sites.

In theory you can send a system-wide message in chat (type /system first to switch from local transmission to system transmission), but it seems that despite people saying that this is cross-platform, as an Xbox user I don't see messages from PC users in chat. So this is first to try, but not guaranteed to work.

NExt option would be to see if they are on either Inara or here, based on searching for their username or seeing if their carrier is listed in Inara. Then, if they allow it, you can send a private message or perhaps post a topic here.

1) Either because thay want to use the local services (or farm mats), or gank other people who want to access the Engineers/farming sites.
2) System map, select the carrier and check the info panel. Landing permissions is somewhere down the list.
3) short of looking for their CMDR name in any of the applicable websites, you don't.

The only question that should matter is:

What is a generally considered "minimum" cost to a fleet carrier? This includes base price, modules(purchased on need from CMDR), maintanence costs and upkeep costs.

I did a quick calculation to install all services, have upkeep for a year, make jumps fairly regularly, and keep 100m for myself for rebuys, etc. Total is just under 7.5 bn.

Breakdown is:
  • 5bn for the base carrier
  • 100m for my personal rebuy and the ability to buy stuff
  • 246m for UC and it's upkeep
  • 419m for Repair / Refuel / Armoury, and their upkeep
  • 1098m for Shipyard and Outfitting, and their upkeep - does not include buying any packs, just to provide the service to others
  • 515m for everything else and their upkeeps
  • 81.5m for the rest of the cargo hold plus the tritium depot full of fuel (so 19,850t at 4,100 cr/t)
  • 24m for an assumed 240 jumps

Or:
  • 5bn for the base carrier
  • 1.15bn for all servivces
  • 1.13bn for a year's upkeep (at 21.7m a week)
  • and the fuel and jumps

You may find this useful:
https://cmdrs-toolbox.com/fleet-carrier-calculator

Edit: I should point out re the Shipyard and Outfitting point above, as the FC owner, you have access to these by default, so you can store your own ships and modules as normal for free. If you want others to use these services, though, then you need to buy them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wondered about only showing the figures for a few weeks upkeep, but it puts pressure on the owner to make that money every week to not run into issues. I believe that putting aside a year's worth means you can go off and do whatever you want for a decent amount of time, and not have to worry about it. As you correctly say, though, you can enter with less, and of course you don't have have to install everything anyway.

Strictly, then, the minimum (for me, anyway) is 5.2bn, that's what I had when I bought my carrier: base carrier, first week's upkeep, rebuy, and able to use some money to start Tritium trading to make up the rest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom