Catalogue of Galactic Nebulae - submit your planetary nebulae!

At the end of the day, the skybox in the centre seems to be filled with a high number of blue-white stars is because it is filled with them. There was a bug in which in certain (and frequent) cases, only the brightest stars would be rendered first, and the lesser ones close by wouldn't, leading to the skybox being filled only with the bright ones. I believe this has been fixed since, and you will always see all kinds now, but the most prominent feature should still be the large amount of bright stars around.

Nebula / System nameGalactic RegionFirst discovered by CMDRSubmitted byNicknameGalaxy map screenshotNotes
Phrio Prao HQ-YEmpyrean StraitsPirinPirinLinkTiny size

This is one of smallest nebulae i have found. Maybe this is why it went undetected for so long. And almost in the centre of the Galaxy. To illustrate, this is how it looks like from 5ly distance:

0HNQyOY.png

And this is a regular size nebula viewed from a similar distance:

zKi4xld.png

You found a new one all your own? Congrats!
For the record, the system name isn't complete on your sheet. However, it is visible on the galaxy map screenshot, so it's fine, no need to edit it now.

I made a number of additions. The most important one is that I've added notes to nebulae which have NSP in and/or around them. Do note that with the EDSM search no longer really working for that, this is based on earlier data (here), but most of them have been found by then I believe. If there are any exceptions to this though, they would be all the planetary nebulae.
Speaking of which, from the real nebulae, I seem to have missed the Phantom Streak (PN) and the Vela and Perseus Dark Regions. That brings up the total to 149. There was also a generated PN in the Inner Orion Spur that I missed, so there are four of those in the region now.

Now, something more interesting. Here's how the numbers of NSP-bearing nebulae break down:
1. 12 out of 161 proc. gen. nebulae have NSPs
2. 19 out of 893 proc. gen. planetary nebulae have NSPs (take both totals here with a grain of salt, I'm almost certain that there are well over a thousand PNs, and plenty of NSPs missed)
3. 66 out of 149 real nebulae have NSPs

Out of the dozen PG nebulae there, half of them are the Guardian areas and the Eol Prou nebula. Also, three generated nebulae are in the Inner Orion Spur and Dryman's Point though, so it's entirely likely they weren't hand-picked, and the NSP just spawned there because they are everywhere in those regions anyway.
So, if someone wanted to make a route that visits all the nebulae with NSP - they do tend to have the best content - then here you go. It'll mostly take you all over the IOS, some nearby stuff, then the Guardian nebulae, finishing around DP. If you wanted to include planetary nebulae as well though, then it would be a cool tour of the core and some of the lesser-visited regions as well.

Nebula / System nameGalactic RegionFirst discovered by CMDRSubmitted byNicknameGalaxy map screenshotNotes
Gloomoi YA-W e2-370Arcadian StreamMicheyPirininsert URL here-
On a separate note, Oephail DA-A E47 - this has a special importance for me, as it was the first PN i discovered as a newbie explorer :). Noticed that in your list it is listed twice. Also, i revisited it during DW2 and it had NSP added in it, which is not noted in the list.

Edit: the NSP was a lagrange cloud with thunder storms in it.

Thanks! It was in twice because it was part of the GMP import. I thought I had checked it for duplicates, but apparently not well enough. Fixed it now, of course.
The NSP is inside the system, and not in a nearby one, yes?

Thanks! It was in twice because it was part of the GMP import. I thought I had checked it for duplicates, but apparently not well enough. Fixed it now, of course.
The NSP is inside the system, and not in a nearby one, yes?

Yes, there were two NSPs inside the nebula. Not sure if there is way to confirm this remotely though.

Yes, there were two NSPs inside the nebula. Not sure if there is way to confirm this remotely though.
There is, but not in-game. EDSM search used to work for the whole galaxy, but will only find you Codex entries if you are within 5,000 ly now. There's also the IGAU public database, but nobody has uploaded the NSPs to that one yet - and absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

A bunch of nebulae from the Lychoitl Sector survey. Entries are sorted from Galactic Up to Galactic Down. Most are in Lychoitl, a couple are just outside the borders. I found CGN II-132 as well (the only planetary nebula in Lychoitl Sector already catalogued) but since it's already in the database, I didn't bother including it. This brings the total number of PNs in Lychoitl Sector from 1 up to 7. All screenshots are at maximum zoom, for scale-matching.

Whambeia KG-Y e317Norma ArmTylarSapyx Source: https://i.imgur.com/6xXMlcN.png
Contains large ringed Ammonia world
Lychoitl RZ-O e6-1494Empyrean StraitsAlpha NovemberSapyx Source: https://i.imgur.com/MLkb7dD.png
Lychoitl SE-Q e5-8334Empyrean StraitsTylarSapyxTwin Stars Nebula Source: https://i.imgur.com/p73y34L.png
Second nearby star system is also inside nebula
Eeshorks VP-O e6-133Norma ArmOverseerSapyxChild of Eeshorks Nebula Source: https://i.imgur.com/QvoaEXr.png
Irregular shape/TD]
Lychoitl BG-X e1-6485Norma ArmLupo ProvikSapyxBlue Loop Nebula Source: https://i.imgur.com/1aQjR2u.png
Lychoitl NY-R e4-8413OLEGD1987SapyxJet Cone Nebula Source: https://i.imgur.com/CYqzRiu.png
Lychoitl AA-Z e128Norma ArmRakamazSapyxWaypoint Nebula Source: https://i.imgur.com/Az95xbc.png
Lychoitl XO-A e5378Norma ArmSidohSapyxEmpty Shell Nebula Source: https://i.imgur.com/sNz6Z0v.png
[TD="align: center"]

Tourism and cartography notes:

Whambeia KG-Y e317: A slightly-smaller-than-average red-kablooey nebula, it still contains several Unmapped planets, as of the time of making this entry. That large ringed ammonia world ought to be scenic; it was already Mapped so didn't fly out there to see, but the Orrery View looks promising.

Lychoitl RZ-O e6-1494: just a black hole and a G-class companion 10000 Ls away, neither of which have planets. Nothing to see here.

Lychoitl SE-Q e5-8334: a noteworthy feature of the nebula is the second star inside it; I don't think that happens too often with planetary nebulae, even in the Core where stars are packed tightly together. The view looks more impressive on the galaxy map than it does in the second system (Lychoitl NU-E d12-5855). SE-Q is still mostly Unmapped; Commander Tylar, discoverer of SE-Q, had been to NU-E as well but hadn't Tagged anything except the central star and nearby inferno-planet.

Eeshorks VP-O e6-133: lying considerably outside the Lychoitl cube, I had to make the detour when I saw what looked like a tiny "normal" nebula. It's actually a planetary nebula (you can tell because the nebula name and star name are the same), but with the appearance of an irregular gas cloud. It's like a little tiny piece of the nearby great Eeshorks nebula has broken off and drifted away. As you can see, the system itself is chock-full of brown dwarfs, each with half a dozen moons, none of which are Mapped yet.

Lychoitl BG-X e1-6485: the black hole itself has no planets, but the companion star 3000 Ls away has a string of dragon-spittle HMC worldlets, most of which remain Unmapped. The two Mapped ones have the only volcanism in the system.

Lychoitl NY-R e4-8413: one of those scarcer wispy-jet-cone type nebulae, and with a neutron star in the centre. There's a non-terraformable water world in there; the other worlds are Unmapped.

Lychoitl AA-Z e128: Rakamaz may have been first here, but every object in this fairly small, simple system has a different Tag on it - including one of mine. Only one ice world was left Untagged when I arrived, so now all planets are Tagged - but none are Mapped.

Lychoitl XO-A e5378: the supernova which created the nebula here apparently blasted the whole system clean. There's nothing left but the neutron star, no planets.

Finally, here's a map I made of these nine bookmarked PNs, within (or just outside) the eight corners of the Lychoitl cube. You kind of lose the effect with a static screenshot, so I drew some cube-border lines in. Thought I'd make this before deleting all those bookmarks.
FolsA8O.jpg

Thanks for all these!

Eeshorks VP-O e6-133: lying considerably outside the Lychoitl cube, I had to make the detour when I saw what looked like a tiny "normal" nebula. It's actually a planetary nebula (you can tell because the nebula name and star name are the same), but with the appearance of an irregular gas cloud.
There are four models for planetary nebulae, and I named that one P2. It's actually a bit more common than P3 (darker blue bars) and P4 (red exploding), but not as much as P1 (blue bubbles). But then, I haven't written down much of the models yet, just three hundred of them.
I included some of your screenshots as examples for the models, hope you don't mind.

Cmdr Molan Ryke suggested i take a look at this thread. ;)

Nice finds, but i think you underestimate the numbers of PN in the galaxy.
Personally i have been visiting PN since i went looking for a Cereleum Storm Cloud NSP, which i dont think exists yet, or is codex bugged and doesnt spawn.

Been visiting PN for 1-2 years at least just looking for the storms. brings you across many examples. Many do look the same but over time many patterns and common features of their positioning. the 'starcubes' i call them, large B stars mostly, but also will include a few supergiant M,K and carbon stars.

Imo , not a bug those. massive stellar density with massive stars in a small region,often many BH and NS systems cluster around those areas. pulls things tight and dense.

PN just naturally occur it would seem around those.

You may of noticed Sapyx image 2 posts above.
They often are clustered like that. Certainly in the core and middle regions of the galaxy, further out and towards the edges, rarer to get clusters of PN.
just stellar density of the galactic regions overall. a lot more viable concentrations of stars across most of those regions, where they can form easier.

Not only stellar cubes, but large and medium nebulae can also cause that effect, having a sphere of PN around the nebula,usually 250-1000 lyrs radius around a large nebula.
similar size for a stellar cube cluster of PN, if you find one with a dense skybox, you should check around in galmap.

There are ways to find them, takes practice, patience , and time. i call it surfing galmap.
locate , bookmark, search area around that bookmark , add more.
normally i have clusters of 6-18 PN in each grouping, when in the inner 3 regions of the galaxy

must have visited well over a thousand PN now. maybe 1200 approx? and theres many more i have not visited yet.

takes time to search them out.
but there are virgin PN undiscovered out there. recon i have about 5 first discovery PN , so 5 in a thousand chance isnt bad
Many were partially discovered. like just the NS star , and missed 20 objects.

i shall have to get in game to check which bookmarks i currently have.

is there a record for smallest PN? think i may have it if so.
i thought i'd seen small PN before until i came across a cluster of 4 in the galactic core, 3 were all tagged up but the tiny little thing 35 lyrs away was missed totally.
iirc was only about 1klyr away from explorer's anchorage next to SaggyA

Best one i recon iirc was undiscovered PN with 80 objects.

i'll try dig out some info and add it here.

well looked through some of the bookmarks i have.
4 of my best ones. all virgin discoveries.

DUMBUE VJ-Q e5-5678 iirc 86 objects best PN i've found with lots of bodies.
Screenshot_0224.jpg
Screenshot_0223.jpg

DUMBAA WT-A E6353
Screenshot_0226.jpg
Screenshot_0225.jpg

STUEMAO HM-V E2-3083
Screenshot_0228.jpg
Screenshot_0229.jpg

and the smallest one i ever seen in over 1000 PN, more recent , found this one about 2 months ago.
comparable size to Cmdr Valije smallest find PN.

HYPIO PRI ZJ-R E4-1921
Screenshot_0232.jpg
Screenshot_0231.jpg

majority of these bookmarks are ones yet to visit, clusters. about 10 BM keepers, first PN finds. maybe 10-20 BM are NSP cluster locations
rest of the BM are either ones yet to visit , passed by as were off route at the time, to explore later.
majority will be discovered. always is. but searching for that 0.5% that isnt found yet.

They can also spawn in chains, links between the fuzzy bright stars in galmap. Worth checking around those if have clusters in the area, also often have starbox's around them, and then PN clusters.
Screenshot_0233.jpg

Nice finds, but i think you underestimate the numbers of PN in the galaxy.
Oh, I'm not saying anywhere that the thousand PNs on the catalogue are all that there are. It's not difficult to conduct a methodical sweep of the galaxy map to find nebulae, but a complete search would take a lot of time (like you also said), especially for one person. So I just let others submit planetary nebulae if they'd like. My first focus was getting all the large proc. gen. nebulae, then also adding the real ones, and now we're on to planetary nebulae... plus NSP info too.

Personally i have been visiting PN since i went looking for a Cereleum Storm Cloud NSP, which i dont think exists yet, or is codex bugged and doesnt spawn.
Say, how many storm clouds have you found? It's hard to tell from the Codex how many there might be out there, since only one per region is listed - and subsequent ones are also often not logged into your journal files as well.

is there a record for smallest PN? think i may have it if so.
Since we don't seem to have a way to measure precisely how large planetary nebulae are, I don't think there are any records there. Although we could compare galmap screenshots at maximum zoom.

from my storm searching, majority seem to be in the inner most regions.
furthest from core found so far seems to be Hawking's Gap ( in codex )
Regions with Storms so far.

IZANAMI - EMPYREAN STRAITS - ODIN'S HOLD - GALACTIC CENTRE - HAWKING'S GAP

would seem there should be others, but i guess spawn requirements for a storm.
it seems from my explorations and studies, Planetary nebula required as the system.
most PN are NS and BH systems, but can also get named PN. tiny minority with WR star but yet to find a storm in those considering so few WR PN.
Main star would only affect the type of biological/anomaly spawn for that region. If a NSP was viable, and in PN. then a chance for a storm NSP i think.

i wont list the known codex ones, but do have a couple of duplicate colour storms which wont be listed in the codex as wasnt the first one found.

i was quite happy when i found my first storm cloud. got the codex entry in Empyrean Straits for the Viride Stprm cloud. Agnairy JH-U E3-2213 ( my alt Panhyper )
Different NSP including the storm variants of a colour all vary differently. secondary colour can vary , density and thickness of the clouds.
some are quite wispy and thin, others are nearly pitch dark and vary to intense bright areas.

GALACTIC CENTRE, codex one is same region ( MYRIESLY HR_N E6-4354 ) and nearby to the duplicate one i came across.

MYRIESLY CL-P E5-7383

(1) Galactic CoreMYRIESLY CL-P E5-7383NS , Y3 V , Y4 V3 - Orbital path2811 lsViride STORMPNFlavus Metallic Crystals-Q06-type Anomaly

also another Viride storm in GALACTIC CENTRE at PHRAA PRA HH-U E3-1354

(1) Galactic CorePHRAA PRA HH-U E3-1354NS , A6 VB , M2 VA , M9 VIA3 - Orbital path2320 lsViride STORMPNFlavum Metallic Crystals-T02-type Anomaly
rest are listed in codex, but a few notes.

GALACTIC CENTRE
  • Rubicundum Storm system, MYRIESLY MS-T E3-3831 has 2xNSP storm clouds. both red storms but nice to see differences between the two.
  • JUENAE OX-U E2-8852 was a Roseum Storm, but changed to a plain red cloud quite a while back, remains in codex still.
( bug reported, but expired, last check 2 months ago it was still a regular red cloud. not checked on it since update patch but i would guess it didnt become pink and stormy )

@Eahlstan from the GMP thread, and anyone else who might have some planetary nebulae to post: here we do accept any and all planetary nebulae. I've taken the liberty of adding those two to it, and come the next automated update, they should show up on EDAstro's maps too:

Top Bottom