Cataloguing KOI

No not the fish, did you think this was some sort of HHGTTG fanfic?

KOI Catalogue stars are Kepler Objects of Interest from the set of stars generated by the Kepler Space Telescope launched by NASA in 2009 and that operated until 2018.

Specifically KOI stars are those stars from that catalogue that were identified as having transiting bodies, that is bodies that passed between the star and the observing telescope. A regular slight dimming and brightening of the stars indicate some type of body passing across the face of the star.

Many of the KOI catalogue stars in the ED galaxy have only a single Gas Giant as companion, some have entire solar systems, often with a Gas Giant on a markedly angled orbit from the rest of the planets. My original plan was quite simple, go through the known KOI catalogue stars in EDSM and compare that list to the ones actually in the galaxy, then visit every one of those to add them to the EDSM database.

Alas simple plans are my bane, they all start off simple and get added to as I go, once I see something that needs doing I just can’t help adding it to the plan. So what happened this time? It’s quite simply really, while going through the list of stars in EDSM I suddenly realised that while there star entries for many KOI stars, there were no recorded stars or planets in the entry, they were, apart from the location data and first visitor name, completely blank! Players who know me know this is simply unacceptable, it was indeed something that had to be corrected.

For example EDSM entry with no body information;

ShLFimP.png

So I had a think and consulted Orvidius, he of ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations. His excellent data store and visualisations are invaluable for explorers. He soon ran through his data and popped out the data file of all systems in EDSM that had no primary star listed, so all I needed to do was pull the KOI systems out of that and add them to the systems I already had listed to visit.

There was only the little issue of opening the file, it had nearly 20 million systems listed! I eventually resorted to that universal tool that could do almost everything, Notepad++ and extracted the systems I needed, this added 533 systems, not to bad. Then I noticed the listing of ordinary Kepler stars with no body data and decided since I was basically going past them I may as well fix them up, adding another 96 systems. In the end the total number of systems I visited in the KOI/Kepler collection was 1,453, these systems are now fully populated in the EDSM database.

There were a number of systems I was unable to reach, the KOI survey actually scanned many stars outside the boundary of the ED galaxy, the surveyed segment of sky climbing at an angle out of the plane of the galaxy ending in a group of stars higher above the galaxy than Rackham’s Peak.

sMWUjko.jpg

The 46 Unreachable KOI catalogue stars (note sorted alphabetically, the catalogue number of the stars seems to bear no relationship to distance from Sol or height above the galactic plane.

KOI 89KOI 625KOI 972 – Furthest from the bubble, 45,386ly.
To high to be focused on in the galmap.
KOI 1066 – up near Rackhams Peak closer to the core.KOI 1176
KOI 1452KOI 1622KOI 1894KOI 2042KOI 2198
KOI 2222KOI 2272KOI 2364KOI 2682KOI 2704
KOI 2715KOI 3119KOI 3138KOI 3242 – Highest above the galactic plane.
can’t be focused on in the galmap.
KOI 3581
KOI 3583KOI 3611KOI 3647KOI 3649 – The lowest, the most likely target to reach.KOI 3690
KOI 3652KOI 3735KOI 3738KOI 3767KOI 3783
KOI 3830KOI 3855KOI 4021KOI 4066KOI 4189
KOI 4290KOI 4363KOI 4377KOI 4390KOI 5052
KOI 5461KOI 5480KOI 5485KOI 5517KOI 5533
KOI 5718

So that's done. The total number of stars I actually visited is far higher than the total above of course because some of them were quite far apart, and of course I also have a habit of wandering off to check interesting things, but it's finally finished. The only item I haven't ticked off is the Kepler catalogue stars that aren't yet in the EDSM database, but they will be far fewer in number than the KOI catalogue stars. I will get around to them eventually unless someone else gets to them first, if anyone feels like trying to get to the KOI stars or do the Kepler stars feel free, I shall head off for some deeper space exploration Once I have refueled my carrier.

Fly safe o7

Edit: Sorry the table is rubbish, you can't manually adjust the size before posting and word wrap doesn't seem to be a thing, I will try and fix it! Ok it's better, not perfect but this is HTML so that's to be expected!

Last edited:
I can see the idea behind it. Since these systems have hand-crafted names, they must have been manually touched by FDEV. Therefore, maybe smth more than just the name was changed? Like, to say hypothetically, a 45 G body added...? :LOL:

Great job!

I can see the idea behind it. Since these systems have hand-crafted names, they must have been manually touched by FDEV. Therefore, maybe smth more than just the name was changed? Like, to say hypothetically, a 45 G body added...? :LOL:

Great job!

As GroG79 said, not manually, there are 147,000 catalogue stars in the EDSM database, and I would suggest that's hardly a complete count. They were added by location from the stellar catalogues themselves before the stellar forge generated the galaxy. Arguably there are some that have been hand adjusted by FDEV if enough was known about them at the time, but very few I would suggest. I still think the 45g world was generated by the game from the core of a close orbiting gas giant since this is a thing we know can happen in the real world, and sometimes the stellar forge gets things wrong like composition and temperature. Just a freak of the Stellar Forge.

The 46 Unreachable KOI catalogue stars (note sorted alphabetically, the catalogue number of the stars seems to bear no relationship to distance from Sol or height above the galactic plane.

I actually wrote up how I found the method ED used to place HIP stars into the game. It's through parallax. The issue is that often times the parallax will be 0.08 milliarcseconds +- 1.25 for example. Even though there's a huge error bar, the game will choose 0.08, which corresponds to a ridiculously far distance in game. I write about this in detail here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/glorious-hips-3306.549030/post-9474291

The thing is, I noticed that the binning that this produces is different from KOI. 45386 ly is simply not a distance that is possible for the HIP catalog as I write in the post. So perhaps a different method was used to place these stars in the game.

The only item I haven't ticked off is the Kepler catalogue stars that aren't yet in the EDSM database, but they will be far fewer in number than the KOI catalogue stars. I will get around to them eventually unless someone else gets to them first, if anyone feels like trying to get to the KOI stars or do the Kepler stars feel free

I would love to. Who knows, perhaps there are some KOI stars hiding in plain sight that will bridge us to some other previously assumed inaccessible stars!

(note sorted alphabetically, the catalogue number of the stars seems to bear no relationship to distance from Sol or height above the galactic plane.
I believe the KOI index is "sorted" in order of the Kepler telescope detecting the transit candidate. So one would expect their positions within the Kepler Wedge to be effectively random. The Kepler Input Catalogue (KIC) is the list of 150,000 targets that Kepler was tasked with observing, and I would expect the numbering here to be more logical and systematic.

There are too many catalogue systems for FD to have done them all by hand, but there is actually some truth to this. You see, it looks like some parameters of the imported systems can be outside the usual ranges of that of the fully proc. gen. systems, and this can lead to unusual things forming. Like a landable 45 g surface gravity planet ;) Or for another example, if you look through the various records, you'll also notice a fair number of catalogue systems there.

So, looking through the catalogue systems is a good way of finding some unusual stuff, but as usual, those are rare, as it's mostly about edge cases anyway. After all, out of all the KOI systems surveyed (in Elite), there was only that one super heavy landable planet.

No not the fish, did you think this was some sort of HHGTTG fanfic?

KOI Catalogue stars are Kepler Objects of Interest from the set of stars generated by the Kepler Space Telescope launched by NASA in 2009 and that operated until 2018.

Specifically KOI stars are those stars from that catalogue that were identified as having transiting bodies, that is bodies that passed between the star and the observing telescope. A regular slight dimming and brightening of the stars indicate some type of body passing across the face of the star.

Many of the KOI catalogue stars in the ED galaxy have only a single Gas Giant as companion, some have entire solar systems, often with a Gas Giant on a markedly angled orbit from the rest of the planets. My original plan was quite simple, go through the known KOI catalogue stars in EDSM and compare that list to the ones actually in the galaxy, then visit every one of those to add them to the EDSM database.

Alas simple plans are my bane, they all start off simple and get added to as I go, once I see something that needs doing I just can’t help adding it to the plan. So what happened this time? It’s quite simply really, while going through the list of stars in EDSM I suddenly realised that while there star entries for many KOI stars, there were no recorded stars or planets in the entry, they were, apart from the location data and first visitor name, completely blank! Players who know me know this is simply unacceptable, it was indeed something that had to be corrected.

For example EDSM entry with no body information;

ShLFimP.png

So I had a think and consulted Orvidius, he of ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations. His excellent data store and visualisations are invaluable for explorers. He soon ran through his data and popped out the data file of all systems in EDSM that had no primary star listed, so all I needed to do was pull the KOI systems out of that and add them to the systems I already had listed to visit.

There was only the little issue of opening the file, it had nearly 20 million systems listed! I eventually resorted to that universal tool that could do almost everything, Notepad++ and extracted the systems I needed, this added 533 systems, not to bad. Then I noticed the listing of ordinary Kepler stars with no body data and decided since I was basically going past them I may as well fix them up, adding another 96 systems. In the end the total number of systems I visited in the KOI/Kepler collection was 1,453, these systems are now fully populated in the EDSM database.

There were a number of systems I was unable to reach, the KOI survey actually scanned many stars outside the boundary of the ED galaxy, the surveyed segment of sky climbing at an angle out of the plane of the galaxy ending in a group of stars higher above the galaxy than Rackham’s Peak.

sMWUjko.jpg

KOI 89KOI 625KOI 972 – Furthest from the bubble, 45,386ly.
To high to be focused on in the galmap.
KOI 1066 – up near Rackhams Peak closer to the core.KOI 1176
KOI 1452KOI 1622KOI 1894KOI 2042KOI 2198
KOI 2222KOI 2272KOI 2364KOI 2682KOI 2704
KOI 2715KOI 3119KOI 3138KOI 3242 – Highest above the galactic plane.
can’t be focused on in the galmap.
KOI 3581
KOI 3583KOI 3611KOI 3647KOI 3649 – The lowest, the most likely target to reach.KOI 3690
KOI 3652KOI 3735KOI 3738KOI 3767KOI 3783
KOI 3830KOI 3855KOI 4021KOI 4066KOI 4189
KOI 4290KOI 4363KOI 4377KOI 4390KOI 5052
KOI 5461KOI 5480KOI 5485KOI 5517KOI 5533
KOI 5718

So that's done. The total number of stars I actually visited is far higher than the total above of course because some of them were quite far apart, and of course I also have a habit of wandering off to check interesting things, but it's finally finished. The only item I haven't ticked off is the Kepler catalogue stars that aren't yet in the EDSM database, but they will be far fewer in number than the KOI catalogue stars. I will get around to them eventually unless someone else gets to them first, if anyone feels like trying to get to the KOI stars or do the Kepler stars feel free, I shall head off for some deeper space exploration Once I have refueled my carrier.

Fly safe o7

Edit: Sorry the table is rubbish, you can't manually adjust the size before posting and word wrap doesn't seem to be a thing, I will try and fix it! Ok it's better, not perfect but this is HTML so that's to be expected!
Morning Varonica,

I don't suppose you've located KOI 13/Kepler-13/BD+46 2629 in game at all? I cannot find it in the Search or on EDSM and I've tried its various Catalogue names from SIMBAD. Other KOI/Kepler are in game, so it seems a tad odd if Kepler-13 wasn't.

Any assistance in locating it (if it is in game) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Morning Varonica,

I don't suppose you've located KOI 13/Kepler-13/BD+46 2629 in game at all? I cannot find it in the Search or on EDSM and I've tried its various Catalogue names from SIMBAD. Other KOI/Kepler are in game, so it seems a tad odd if Kepler-13 wasn't.

Any assistance in locating it (if it is in game) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Can't see it anywhere, but there are numerous of catalogue stars not in game so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't included.

Can't see it anywhere, but there are numerous of catalogue stars not in game so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't included.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The star was first discovered prior to 1904, hence why it has a BD name. Maybe FDev haven't included it because of this. Although there are other BD catalogue stars but I think they may have Hipparcos or Gliese Catalogue alternatives, which may explain why they're in-game.

It's most frustrating, as I wanted to visit as many of the Kepler Systems as possible (and I'm expecting none of the alleged exoplanets to match up). Kepler-13 indeed is meant to have one of the largest known exoplanets known discovered so far. I'd expect higher Kepler numbered Systems to not be in the game but Kepler-13 was one of the earliest one's and even was designated as a Kepler Object of Interest (hence why it's also KOI-13).

Edit: there was even a star with a Ross name I couldn't locate (it has several other Catalogue identifiers too). I forget which one it was now but that surprised me, as I presumed all Ross named stars would be in ED.

Edit: the Ross system is actually V* ZZ Ceti/Ross 548/LTT 873/LAWD 9 a variable White Dwarf but again, I cannot find it in ED.

Last edited:
Edit: there was even a star with a Ross name I couldn't locate (it has several other Catalogue identifiers too). I forget which one it was now but that surprised me, as I presumed all Ross named stars would be in ED.

Edit: the Ross system is actually V* ZZ Ceti/Ross 548/LTT 873/LAWD 9 a variable White Dwarf but again, I cannot find it in ED.

Yes it's a mystery why some catalogue stars are in and some aren't, but I wonder if it's because there was a big range of possible distances across the catalogue's and they filtered stars out unless all the distances agreed withing a certain percentage.

Yes it's a mystery why some catalogue stars are in and some aren't, but I wonder if it's because there was a big range of possible distances across the catalogue's and they filtered stars out unless all the distances agreed withing a certain percentage.
I've just had a deeper look into the above System. A ZZ Ceti star type was named after the Ross 548 System. It's the same as a DAV White Dwarf. I thought maybe FDev hadn't implemented Variable star types but I did a search on EDSM and there's over 200+ DAVs but only one anywhere near Sol (about 50ish LY away). Ross 548 is meant to be 107ly away from Sol. There's another DAV/ZZ Ceti type white dwarf I couldn't locate either.

Maybe DAVs were added later and thus most DAVs are Procedural?

Last edited:
Top Bottom