Celebration of Early Astronomy Expedition

These permit locked regions we're passing through right now serve almost like a gateway. Once past those, it does get quite a lot easier to find untagged systems.

These permit locked regions we're passing through right now serve almost like a gateway. Once past those, it does get quite a lot easier to find untagged systems.
I was excited yesterday to find my first system inside the Col 70 bubble that didn't already have all bodies mapped! Still no untagged bodies in there that I've seen yet, much less undiscovered systems.

I also feel like hoboing around a city mall parking lot. I've done over 200 jumps since the expedition started and EDSM shows... 2 newly discovered systems. :p 1%. For comparison: my total percentage is a bit higher than 85%. :p

But hey, we're still very close to the Bubble. And for the moment I cannot devote much time for the game, so I run from waypoint to waypoint as fast as possible, which doesn't help finding new systems, either. And then the worst part: Subnautica: Below Zero is bound to arrive soon... :p

I was excited yesterday to find my first system inside the Col 70 bubble that didn't already have all bodies mapped! Still no untagged bodies in there that I've seen yet, much less undiscovered systems.

Yeah, inside the tunnel and the immediate surroundings, it's still quite trampled. We have to get outside of it before it gets considerably better.

Pathfinding mission accomplished: * This route is probably not optimal ****
route to hd30688_55ly.JPG

route to hd26693_55ly.JPG

Last edited:
Special Note

Be aware that some of the waypoints for this leg are more of a "region" waypoint whereas the waypoint itself isn't the POI but groups of real stars near them.
It is recommended to fly "economical routing" (or at least make a few stops within the star tube to see what you can find that may be interesting) through these "star tubes"
These are:

• Collinder 69 Open Cluster
    • Start: DM99 58.3
    • End: BSM2011 E110
  • NGC 1333 Stellar Formation Region
    • Start: EES2009 Persei J03286006+3122826
    • End: 2MASS J03292407+3119577

Nice! How "visited" are these "tubes?"

BTW, why do these "star tubes" exist? If I spotted this correctly, both tubes point to Sol, so my guess was that it is just a matter of more intense observation in that direction. If so, the tubes are a representation of the actual star density and the rest of the galaxy is more sparse simply because we haven't analyzed it in such detail?

Is there a "backstory" to the choice of waypoints or should I just google them for general info?

BTW, why do these "star tubes" exist? If I spotted this correctly, both tubes point to Sol, so my guess was that it is just a matter of more intense observation in that direction. If so, the tubes are a representation of the actual star density and the rest of the galaxy is more sparse simply because we haven't analyzed it in such detail?

Is there a "backstory" to the choice of waypoints or should I just google them for general info?

Yep, pretty much.

Not really any particular backstory, those areas werethere and pretty much on the route so I routed through them. The first one is the Collinder 69 Open Cluster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collinder_69

Then the second one is NGC 1333: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_1333

I've done over 200 jumps since the expedition started and EDSM shows... 2 newly discovered systems. :p 1%. For comparison: my total percentage is a bit higher than 85%.
Yesterday's session: seven newly discovered systems out of 72 jumps! Almost 10%! Progress! :)

By the way: is it me or SRV handling has been changed by the latest updates? Tried to restock some mats on 0.06G planet yesterday and the handling was terrible. Very sensitive on steering, minimal grip, I struggled to make a single turn without spinning. I use SRV a lot so it's not like I was not driving for months and I forgot how to do it. Or I indeed forgot...?

Just a heads-up; I arrived at the Soul Sector EL-Y d7 station to sell data. They're currently in lockdown. Go Heart Sector instead, sold there earlier today :)

I love the expedition. Great company. I plan to be at the arm 5 launch. I'd love to see more direct interactions if possible. Meetings on the surface, SRV races... Anything planned or is the initiative left to the members of the expedition?

I love the expedition. Great company. I plan to be at the arm 5 launch. I'd love to see more direct interactions if possible. Meetings on the surface, SRV races... Anything planned or is the initiative left to the members of the expedition?
It's up to the participants, but there's generally been activity at the basecamp sites on weekends. The Discord server seems to be the best bet for coordinating that sort of thing.

Great launch, Kezika! Going directly from the surface definitely simplifies things a lot. Hoarding us all to the same instance (winging, wing signaling...) in space was a huge deal while at DW2. Will do my best to attend next time, too.

Top Bottom