Cenozoic dlc

Because even if they go extinct you probably can still see them in zoo's around the world :p
I don't consider species extinct if they still exist in zoos. ;) (Only extinct in the wild.)

We lose every year a few species.
Zoos try there best, but there are just to many endangered animals and not every one can be bred in captivity.
Also you need a certain number of animals to obtain a healty population. Some species just don't have these diversity left.

(It's even normal, that some species get extinct, just the mass extinction we encounter today isn't natural.)

Most species that go extinct present day, is because of humans. (either lack of living space, or hunting/fishing)
Extinction in those cases can not be called "normal", if you ask me.

I bet loads of the animals that went extinct in the past 100 years wouldn't have, if we weren't there.

edit: This pretty off-topic.

Last edited:
Most species go extinct because of humans, extinction in those cases can not be called "normal", if you ask me.
Yes, totally agree on this one.
I just wanted to point out, that there were always animals that got extincted and always will be.

Like I said, the mass extinction we see today because of humans isn't natural or normal.
And yes, we should do anything we can to stop this development, but realistcly speaking, for some animals it is already to late to safe them. So there are species that will disappear in the next few years (and not just in the wild, I mean completly).

When talking about extinct animals, a lot of people aren't aware of the fact, that we are not just talking about dinosaurs, victims of the ice age and the dodu.

I can totally see why someone might not want to have dinosaurs or mammoths in the game. But I'm not sure if I can understand someone saying: "I don't want any extinct animals in a zoo-game!"

Then I hope for you that none of the animals from the game will die out in the next few years. Looks like Planet Zoo is adding some very threatened species. ;)

(And I absolutly love this fact, since it brings awareness to these animals).

I'd love to see a DLC pack about extinct animals. I just wonder how they'd be able to make them as lifelike as the current living animals? Would they just reuse animations from modern big cats on prehistoric big cats? Would Mammoths and Woolly Rhino's just be reskinned versions of their modern counterparts? For the animals we are getting now, the devs were able to study the real life counterpart and ask zookeepers who worked with them every day about their behaviors, diet, habitat, etc. They can't really do that with extinct animals. They'd likely be limited animals that have enough of this information documented that they could theoretically make them as close to what their real life counterpart would have been like, and I don't think that leaves many options. As much I'd enjoy a pack like this, unless they find a way around these limitations, the style they're going for with this game doesn't seem to support this type of content.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a DLC pack about extinct animals. I just wonder how they'd be able to make them as lifelike as the current living animals? Would they just reuse animations from modern big cats on prehistoric big cats? Would Mammoths and Woolly Rhino's just be reskinned versions of their modern counterparts? For the animals we are getting now, the devs were able to study the real life counterpart and ask zookeepers who worked with them every day about their behaviors, diet, habitat, etc. They can't really do that with extinct animals. They'd likely be limited animals that have enough of this information documented that they could theoretically make them as close to what their real life counterpart would have been like, and I don't think that leaves many options. As much I'd enjoy a pack like this, unless they find a way around these limitations, the style they're going for with this game doesn't seem to support this type of content.

Actually, they can. There are more than a few paleontologists who study the behavior of dinosaurs based on their remains and environment (and they are always happy to talk about their work). It isn't just down to comparing them to contemporary animals with physiological similarities. Furthermore, Zoo Planet's emphasis on education would go hand-in-hand with a dinosaur expansion pack because there are plenty of misconceptions about them. For example, the tyrannosaurus rex could not roar in real life and velociraptors were not human-sized theropods but were in fact quite small ones.

I know people say that players who wants dinosaurs in Planet Zoo should just go to Jurassic World Evolution because that game already has them. The problem is that while I love JWE, it's a game that is based on the Jurassic Park franchise and that means it isn't allowed to divert from the staples of that franchise. JWE players are never going to see feathered raptors, baby dinosaurs, shelters or enrichment tools. Jurassic Park is about creating a park and trying to contain the animals inside. That is the core of the franchise and the core of JWE's gameplay. I mean, the game encourages you to take missions where you have to create dinosaurs and have them fight to the death and in the DLC, you straight-up have to commit animal abuse to advance including by creating animals for the sole purpose of having predators kill them. They don't even have shelters to shield them from rains or storms. There's a world of difference between what Planet Zoo wants to be about and what Jurassic World Evolution is about.

That's why it would be so wonderful to see a game where the dinosaurs are treated like any other animal in a zoo would be: with dignity, respect and care. They'd would be used to educate people and to further what we know about their behavior. They would have toys to stimulate their minds and shelters to shield them from the rain.

I don't want a tyrannosaurus rex in Planet Zoo so I can unleash it on the guests or watch it devour a helpless giraffe. I want a tyrannosaurus rex in Planet Zoo so I can watch a tyrannosaurus rex play with a tractor tire or play with its young. That would be so awesome!

Last edited:
Actually, they can. There are more than a few paleontologists who study the behavior of dinosaurs based on their remains and environment (and they are always happy to talk about their work). It isn't just down to comparing them to contemporary animals with physiological similarities. Furthermore, Zoo Planet's emphasis on education would go hand-in-hand with a dinosaur expansion pack because there are plenty of misconceptions about them. For example, the tyrannosaurus rex could not roar in real life and velociraptors were not human-sized theropods but were in fact quite small ones.

I know people say that players who wants dinosaurs in Planet Zoo should just go to Jurassic World Evolution because that game already has them. The problem is that while I love JWE, it's a game that is based on the Jurassic Park franchise and that means it isn't allowed to divert from the staples of that franchise. JWE players are never going to see feathered raptors, baby dinosaurs, shelters or enrichment tools. Jurassic Park is about creating a park and trying to contain the animals inside. That is the core of the franchise and the core of JWE's gameplay. I mean, the game encourages you to take missions where you have to create dinosaurs and have them fight to the death and in the DLC, you straight-up have to commit animal abuse to advance including by creating animals for the sole purpose of having predators kill them. They don't even have shelters to shield them from rains or storms. There's a world of difference between what Planet Zoo wants to be about and what Jurassic World Evolution is about.

That's why it would be so wonderful to see a game where the dinosaurs are treated like any other animal in a zoo would be: with dignity, respect and care. They'd would be used to educate people and to further what we know about their behavior. They would have toys to stimulate their minds and shelters to shield them from the rain.

I don't want a tyrannosaurus rex in Planet Zoo so I can unleash it on the guests or watch it devour a helpless giraffe. I want a tyrannosaurus rex in Planet Zoo so I can watch a tyrannosaurus rex play with a tractor tire or play with its young. That would be so awesome!

JWE is the exact reason why you are not getting a T-rex in Planet Zoo. So that is your best bet at being able to play with dino's.

JWE is the exact reason why you are not getting a T-rex in Planet Zoo. So that is your best bet at being able to play with dino's.

That seems to sadly be the case. It really sucks because even though I love, Jurassic World Evolution is still such a limited game and it pretty much depends wholly on the player's imagination and love of creating exhibits or bloodbaths to stay fresh. The dinosaurs feel static because they are always released as adults and they don't interact with their environment save for the basics of eating and drinking. The original Zoo Tycoon had more features. It's made more disappointed by the fact that the Jurassic World movie featured a park that had a baby dinosaur petting zoo and had least one show where a dinosaur performed. Heck, the sequel showed footage of the raptor pack as babies and they had toys.

I'm still holding out hope that Planet Zoo might take a stab at dinosaurs once Jurassic World Evolution's development cycle is over. It's not likely, but there's not much else I can do other than maybe wait for Saurian to be completed and released.

Last edited:

I was thinking after I posted that we do actually have a lot of information on dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures, so it would likely be possible to give them the same attention to detail that Frontier has given the modern animals. And who doesn't want to learn about dinosaurs? Even people who aren't particularly interested in them would enjoy seeing live ones in a zoo and learning about them, so they definitely fit the education theme the game is focusing on. So, I completely agree with your first paragraph.

And with the rest of your post. I have played a little of JWE, and while it is a beautiful game and a lot of fun to manage a park, it's not a zoo and the goals are very different.

I hope Frontier does decide to include a dino pack in the future. They've already created them in the past, so hopefully that would make it easier to create them for PZ.

JWE almost always pop up when we discuss about extinct animals in Planet Zoo.
Well, Most likely extinct animals would not be on the dev's list right now. Planet Zoo will mainly concern animals living now for good.

I'd just like to mention that JWE is about building one's own Jurassic World™. I'm fine with JWE for the dino park building & management game by now. Yet dinosaurs there are sometimes quite different from their real fossil counterpart.
Well, guess I'll just wait for some decent prehistoric park building & management games to come out.

I'm also not overly interested in dinosaurs in the game, but Meta, I like your point. Representing dinos in planet zoo could also be educational and show them as animals and not only as monsters. I love JWE, but as we all know, the presentation of a lot of dinos in the franchise is simply wrong. There will be an interesting new game about realistic dinosaurs however. Best in slot showed it, I can't remember the name at the moment...

I guess when it comes to exstinct animals it really depends on the time frame for me. While I'm not interested in animals that actually did died out by now, I'd still be interested in adding for example the barbary lion, though it sadly might be that they might go instinct in the next years. Planet Zoo will probably last us with 3 years of updates at least, I assume, when I look at planco.

I would'nt like at all to have extinct animals in Planet Zoo. The best goal of this game is the reality and if I'll go in real zoo, I won't find a dodo, a Recreate extinct animals is not one of these, as even conservation refers only to the endangered (but living) species.

Actually, not far from me is a zoo that specializes in recreating extinct farm animals (extinct breeds). Though you are right, that's pretty rare and we can argue about if it helps anyone or not.

It would be interesting to have extinct Animals not only just to have them in the Park, but also to help Scientists learn more about them and to release Animals that where wiped out by Humans back to the Wild. If there will be this kind of Expansion, I think there would be no possibility to release Dinosaurs back to the Wild because the Introduction of new Species to a Ecosystem can cause big harm to the Ecosystem

I would'nt like at all to have extinct animals in Planet Zoo. The best goal of this game is the reality and if I'll go in real zoo, I won't find a dodo, a tasmanian tiger or a woolly rhyno so would be odd to find one in Planet Zoo.

That's why I feel extinct animals are best left to expansion packs because then it is up to the individual player to decide how realistic they want their zoo to be.

Even more important is that modern zoos have three goals: research, education, conservation. Recreate extinct animals is not one of these, as even conservation refers only to the endangered (but living) species.

Recreating extinct animals would very much be about research and education because it would be one of the ultimate ways to learn about an animal and its behavior. For example, how did it move? What colors did it posses? How would it tackle a challenge?

That's one of the reasons behind the interest in reviving long-dead animals and indeed, learning how to revive animals is also considered by some to be potentially beneficial to conservation efforts because it would be a way to help bring back a populace that is either on the brink of extinction or has already gone over the edge and been lost to the world.

In my country, multiple zoos have created dinosaur "exhibits" where guests can walk through a big area of the park and see dinosaurs models that are true to real life in terms of scale and appearance. One park has over fifty different models. All those zoos consider extinct animals to be something worth housing and to fit their goal of educating the public about their animals even if the animals in question are no longer alive and have been lost to the annals of history.

If extinct animals could be recreated and safely housed in real life, you'd definitely see some in a zoo somewhere.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to have extinct Animals not only just to have them in the Park, but also to help Scientists learn more about them and to release Animals that where wiped out by Humans back to the Wild. If there will be this kind of Expansion, I think there would be no possibility to release Dinosaurs back to the Wild because the Introduction of new Species to a Ecosystem can cause big harm to the Ecosystem

Yeah, releasing extinct animals back the wild should only apply to animals that have gone extinct recently otherwise it would just cause ecological damage and likely lead to other animals going extinct.

Dinosaurs and other long-lost animals would be about research and education only. Living history, basically.

They could be the sort of exhibit that helps increase the attendance of scientifically-minded guests and children.

Top Bottom