Challenge to land on the world of death

On a recent trip I found this White Dwarf system- SPOIHAAE XE-X D2-9 where a landable metal rich world is in close orbit.It has an elliptical orbit of roughly one hour.At it's far point is 2.5ls from WD but at perihelion (near point) comes to a deadly 0.06ls in!

also,looking at the orbit, the far point is in the jet of the White Dwarf itself and as the world approaches the star it speeds up rapidly to annihilation!

I have tried a few times and nearly succeeded on landing on the world's surface (within 50 metres before the FSD warning sounded and all hell broke loose) but is so hostile landing,collecting materials and leaving intact may be very difficult and the window of opportunity may be narrow.

So the challenge is just that.

One point for each iron or nickel collected;two points for each chromium or manganese collected;four points for each tin or molybdenum collected;six points for any arsenic and nine points if you find some technetium!

The system is around 600 lyrs from Colonia.

Good luck with this.

http://imgur.com/nR7sIpI

http://imgur.com/vDx59P4

Last edited:
I assume it is not tidally-locked or slowly-rotating, allowing you to come in on the "dark side" protected in its shadow?

Plot twist: the planet's orbit crosses into the jets of the white dwarf. ;)

But in all seriousness that's an awesome find. I've been hoping to come across that exact phenomenon to try what you're trying, if only to confirm it for myself. All the best in your efforts. :D

[SP][/SP]
Plot twist: the planet's orbit crosses into the jets of the white dwarf. ;)

But in all seriousness that's an awesome find. I've been hoping to come across that exact phenomenon to try what you're trying, if only to confirm it for myself. All the best in your efforts. :D

After umpteen attempts I'm all out of effort.I'm handing the baton for first landing to any other Commander with balls of steel (and perhaps wearing an Asbestos suit!)

What's the difficulty in landing there? What were you flying? Any video of your attempt(s)?

If the orbit is ~one hour, I would assume you could pick a time when it's far enough away from the star and not in the jet at the moment, and land on, or approach from the dark side.
Is the far point (2.5ls) still close enough that you overheat on approach?
Normally, on hot landings in close proximity to the star, your ship will start cooling down as soon as you enter glide mode.

It'll be a few weeks before I can get out that way, but I've book marked it for an attempt "some day"
Does Jaques sell heat sink launchers or do I need to bring extras all the way?
What about a module reinforcement package? Thinking I should bring one as a damage sink for module heat damage.

Last edited:
Does Jaques sell heat sink launchers or do I need to bring extras all the way?
What about a module reinforcement package? Thinking I should bring one as a damage sink for module heat damage.
Heat sinks and MRPs are both available in the area - Colonia Dream in Eol Prou LW-L c8-76 has the best outfitting in general, but for some sizes of MRP you might have to go elsewhere.

Any size MRP might be better than none. As long as I don't have to carry that dead weight all the way from the bubble.
I'm just not sure an MRP will help against heat damage. I've never actually used one. Normally the heat sinks also act as heat damage sinks.

I've been planning a trip to Colonia for some time.
While I'm in the area, I'll probably try to land there, if it's hasn't been shown to be impossible before I get there.
I do enjoy challenging landings like HD 49368 and Hades Edge

I decided to bring my Anaconda since she runs cool, goes faster and can carry an MRP and a lot more heat sinks than the DBE.
I did leave the bubble with an expensive fuel scoop so I need to swap that out when I get to Colonia so I can minimize the rebuy cost.

Last edited:
If only I could get PlaysTV to work...

I'm landed on the planet, it's getting closer to the jets of the white dwarf with every passing minute and I can hear them. Kinda trippy.

Decided to take the Dolphin since it's easier to maneuver, and doesn't overheat a whole lot.

caMWPdT.png

Last edited:
Any problems getting down to the surface? High heat inbound? Did you use any heat sinks inbound? Outbound?
What's your temp resting on the surface?

Leif_Erikson never mentioned the specifics of the problems he had landing there, but I suspect once you're landed, the jets won't be a problem. The game usually doesn't get that detailed.

Last edited:
If only I could get PlaysTV to work...

I'm landed on the planet, it's getting closer to the jets of the white dwarf with every passing minute and I can hear them. Kinda trippy.

Decided to take the Dolphin since it's easier to maneuver, and doesn't overheat a whole lot.
We are waiting with baited breath ... If it goes quiet we will fear the worst ;)

Top Bottom