Challenge to land on the world of death

The effect is as amazing as described. I think everyone needs to land here at least once.

TYrLk33.png

pnOsPo5.png

ABoBeFK.png

g96Ig9p.png

bNxhlWk.png

Yeah, it was almost entirely above the horizon until closest approach. I'm at 73.52, 35.35.

Edit: Successful left, by leaving almost exactly 88 minutes after landing (I subtracted a few minutes to not get hit in the cone). Now I have to go back to Colonia to repair my 9% hull [haha]

tpDr06W.png

Last edited:
I've just visited this place, this is certainly not for the faint hearted. :)
Once I recalled this ship inside the cone, then I rather dismissed it to avoid losing it - seeing the auto-pilot fighting with flux was quite entertaining, at the end it was able to wake out. :)

The take off... well probably high waking is a better solution, as without heat sink the Adder got to almost 180% heat. Fortunately, I took an AFMU.

Edit: my contribution to the list of images. :)
aTz2roM.jpg

Last edited:
Utter awesomeness.

So, err, Sushi ... what's the radius of that planet? (you know what I'm thinking don't you). :cool:

Yeah the large radius and high gravity mean circumnavigating it would be a very long drive, even by my insane standards.

But yes, I absolutely thought about it.

I'm just curious -- I kind of had to skim the thread halfway out the door -- but, I have a thought on this. Given how small its actual range is and how fast it's moving, might it not be realistically possible to approach something like this in real space instead of supercruise? I realize the OP finally managed to land the hard way, but I'm curious if you couldn't just intercept it with a bit of calculation/blind luck without even using supercruise at all (even turning off the FSD and all non-essentials perhaps.) Or is it impossible with the way the game handles loading? Because it could also be pretty darned amazing watching a planetoid approaching you at a fairly high speed, lol.

I'm just curious -- I kind of had to skim the thread halfway out the door -- but, I have a thought on this. Given how small its actual range is and how fast it's moving, might it not be realistically possible to approach something like this in real space instead of supercruise? I realize the OP finally managed to land the hard way, but I'm curious if you couldn't just intercept it with a bit of calculation/blind luck without even using supercruise at all (even turning off the FSD and all non-essentials perhaps.) Or is it impossible with the way the game handles loading? Because it could also be pretty darned amazing watching a planetoid approaching you at a fairly high speed, lol.

You can absolutely park in the planet's path and wait for it to come to you in normal space. As soon as it gets close, you get transferred to its sphere of influence, and then your velocity is zero relative to it until you fly to the surface (via supercruise if you don't want to take forever).

This is a fantastic discovery. By far the most spectacular thing I've seen yet in Elite. Managed to land twice (and one complete wipeout of a crash resulting in a rebuy) but have had to self destruct once on the planet. Once dismissing my ship caused it to simply vanish and the other time recalling it caused it to get stuck without landing.

But a fantastic find. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom