Ships Challenger Challenger Miner

DGV7nk8.jpg

Lakon Alliance Challenger "ICE RING" LA-607

The Alliance Challenger is a surprisingly good miner. It has enough power and hard points to carry the full compliment of mining tools. Yes, all the toys. The cockpit visibility is good as well as its agility. I just kitted one out for mining in ice rings with a detailed surface scanner, OA pulse wave analyzer, 1A prospector limpet controller, 2A refinery, 2 3A collector limpet controllers, a shield, 64 tons of cargo, 2B seismic charge launcher, 2 2D mining lasers, 2B sub-surface displacement missile launcher, and 3 1D abrasion blasters. No, I carry no weapons. I don't need them in solo. I start my mining after the couple of npc characters that spawn when dropping into a ring have sniffed around and left. The jump range and speed needed improvement so I engineered the frame shift to level 5 long range and upped the thruster to level 3 dirty drives. As it is now configured, it's a very capable miner. If Frontier would unlock one of the three size 4 restricted slots it would be a great miner. It really needs one more limpet controller.

I’ve tweaked my mining Challenger build above by removing one of the 2D mining lasers. With only four active collector limpets available it was simply not needed. One laser creates more than enough fragments to keep 4 limpets fully occupied.

Some further tweaking of my mining Challenger. It’s now a dedicated deep core mining ship. Replaced one of the 3A collectors with a fuel scoop and removed the mining laser and subsurface displacement missile launcher. It has good visibility and better handling for deep core mining than my AspX, Krait or Python.

Interesting.

I use a Phantom as core-miner:

A Challenger would compare thus:

The Chally has more hull, marginally less shields, more versatile weapons, one less collector, a smaller scoop, 6 ly less jump range and 80m m/s less speed. But it only costs half as much. Interesting for Scrooge McDucks like me.

Top Bottom